6D - no "WOW" feeling?
/forum/topic/1151415/2

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1689

New 5DII's can be had for $1900 all day long. Why would anyone want the 6D over the 5DII except for maybe size/weight? No joystick, slightly less VF coverage, slightly less MP, no side buttons, 1/4000, etc...

Oh I know, it must be the .6 fps and wifi GPS

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3396

New 5d2's wont be available at $1900 for long. Its not a $1900 camera, its a $2700 camera being sold as end of line.

What do you thing the 6d will be in 3-4 years time when EOL? $1200-1400?

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

Wahoowa wrote:
RobDickinson wrote:
Yes. I know people on the internet arnt happy. but when are they ever happy?

5d2 is a rounout model sold cheap.
6D is a new model just introduced , it will be sold cheaper than the 5d2 was eventually I am sure.

I myself I thinkk prefer the 5d2, especially with ML loaded.

Still doesnt mean the 6d is the 5d2 replacement, because its not.

Who says it is anyway? But then again, how come a camera released in very late 2012 can barely compete with a camera that was released in late 2008?

T4i is in a different series than xxD and definitely not a direct replacement of an old xxD camera in any way, but many people find it to be an upgrade from their previous 20D/30D/40D.

Well not really. The T4i Rebel has no Mirror Lockup. But I suppose if I talk about that I'd be called a whinger.

corndog
Total Posts: 4065

RobDickinson wrote:
New 5d2's wont be available at $1900 for long. Its not a $1900 camera, its a $2700 camera being sold as end of line.

I think the overlap will go on for a few months, but it doesn't really matter because it's odd for one manufacturer to have to similar models at similar prices for any length of time. It confuses potential buyers, why do that during a new release? And really, the recent price break on the 5D3 is close enough to the 5D2/6D that the whole thing is really weird. However, I don't really care as long as I get a 5D3 for cheap.

artsupreme

RobDickinson wrote:

It was a $2700 camera yes, but it is now a $1899 camera when you can buy it for that new off the shelf:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583953-REG/Canon_2764B003_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html

I get what you are trying to say but when comparing two brand new cameras the 5DII is cheaper than the release price of the 6D.

RobDickinson

yes. but its an end of line runout. Isnt this typical of just about every industry?

But the easy thing is if you think the 5d2 is a better deal then go buyone and stop complaining about another camera you dont want.

artsupreme

RobDickinson wrote:
yes. but its an end of line runout. Isnt this typical of just about every industry?

But the easy thing is if you think the 5d2 is a better deal then go buyone and stop complaining about another camera you dont want.

End of line runout who cares it's what the price is today, not 3 years ago...I guess Wahooha was right when he called out your logic.

Your right, I'm not buying it but if it had the D600 specs I would. And no one is complaining, they are just stating the facts about camera specifications/pricing.

corndog
Total Posts: 4065

RobDickinson wrote:

Sounds like a great way to sell the new 6D if people are left thinking the old thing is cheaper and better than the new thing...

BluesWest
Total Posts: 756

The only thing WOW about the 6D is when you compare it to what the D600 offers at the same price....

This comment gets at the heart of the criticisms of the 6D. The 6D doesn't exist in a vacuum (well, it doesn't actually exist at all yet, but that's a matter for another thread). It exists in a market where Canon's main competitor is offering a camera that -- at least on paper -- kicks the 6D's you-know-what in every technical category. The OP seems to be ignoring that fact.

John

artsupreme

BluesWest wrote:
The only thing WOW about the 6D is when you compare it to what the D600 offers at the same price....

This comment gets at the heart of the criticisms of the 6D. The 6D doesn't exist in a vacuum (well, it doesn't actually exist at all yet, but that's a matter for another thread). It exists in a market where Canon's main competitor is offering a camera that -- at least on paper -- kicks the 6D's you-know-what in every technical category. The OP seems to be ignoring that fact.

John

Yes, and everyone else on this forum who claims "whining" or "complaining" seem to be ignoring that too....

bigbearbear
Total Posts: 127

The one thing that I don't understand, is why do they make the flash sync speed at 1/180?!?

WOW.

I guess it is not a problem for those using the camera mostly for landscape shots but I use mine mostly for shooting people when traveling. And flash capability is important to me. A pity really, when I saw the news I was like all over it, finally a chance to upgrade to Full Frame! Then I saw the sync speed and I was like.

Mike Mohrmann
Total Posts: 796

bigbearbear wrote:
The one thing that I don't understand, is why do they make the flash sync speed at 1/180?!?

You can't gripe about that! That's only a paper spec. Wait until someone uses the camera for real.

RobDickinson

artsupreme wrote:
End of line runout who cares it's what the price is today, not 3 years ago...I guess Wahooha was right when he called out your logic.

This happens all the time, all over the place.

I'm looking at a new Denon AV amp, I can get last years higher tier model for less than this years mid level model. New mid level model has a few minor tweaks but the older one is still mostly better, exactly what we have here.

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

Flash sync speed and max shutter speed can be manipulated with ND filter, I got no problem with that, and I'm sure you can take great photos with the 6D. The problem is I just don't understand the logic behind 97% VF coverage, 1 cross type and one axis level. It can't possibly cost that much more to just make it 100% coverage and 2 axis,or even give us 4 more cross type AF, nor would it disturb the sales of the other FF cameras.

I also can't see why we can't talk about it without being attacked by other members. Heck, I even got put on someone's hide list because I told him to get off my back. I mean, how many people here whinge about gear issues, from DR to even button layout.

RobDickinson

People get caught up in what camera they want/expect for a price.

Canon will have sat down and done the numbers over the lifetime of the 6d and know exactly who will buy it and for how much.

David Baldwin
Total Posts: 2829

"A 6D with a 40 pancake weighs 2 pounds even and supposedly focuses in the dark. wouldn't that make a nice street cam?"

Yes, as long as your subject is in the middle of your picture.

alexdi
Total Posts: 341

Dude. It's one EV. You just wrote full page tribute about the difference between focusing in darkness and darker darkness. If you can rationalize to that extent, I don't think it really matters what they came out with.

RobDickinson

I'm guessing most people shoot with the centre point (and recompose) I know its wrong more often than not but thats what most people do.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3833

BluesWest wrote:

John

The "OP"s first thought was same like yours, when he read the announcement (to be honest).
Then the OP got his hands on the new camera and after an initial "what shit do they offer here" he looked at it and started to think about. He is informed about 5D II using it since more than 3.7 years now and beeing very happy with this model. He was thinking about upgrading to 5D III because of some additional features. Higher ISO in "usable" jpegs with less banding at 6.400 and 12.800, higher AF sensitiveness, silent mode, better usable auto ISO, in camera HDR. Of course he would have liked the additional items like leading AF, etc. After a three time checking the OP found out that the new 6D feels great in his hands and offers all what he was looking for in this new body for much less money. That are the facts the OP sees. And this is the fact you seem to ignore.

In my hands on thread ( http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150348/4#10987156 ) I compared 5D II and the new 6D. In the "loss" section I forgott: "no joystick", 1/4000s and flash sync. That makes 5 losses to me compared to 13 wins.

The only loss that fels important to me is the missing joystick. On side of the wins I do not reaaly care about wifi and GPS. So to me it makes 1 loss and 11 wins when I compare 6D to 5D II. I love 5D II and it is still a fantastic camera but there is no way I would choose 5D II over 6D today to safe 150 (price difference here in germany). Of course I "expect" the 6D offers a comparable IQ to 5D III. I will find out soon.

This is the OPs fact. And it was the cause for this new thread. I feel a big "wow" about 6D. And I am pretty sure many will if they get this camera into their hands instead of reading "crippled again" and "failed threads" of people who never did and have different expectations that are not fullfilled.

Ralph

skibum5
Total Posts: 16191

Ralph Conway wrote:

Imo 6D offers the highest "wow" factor of all offered (/announced) cameras. It gives me more than I was dreaming about the last decade. 1D X does not that much, 5D III does not, nor Nikon does.
About Sony, Pentax and others I must even not think.

Ralph

How does it give more wow when it does, most likely (barring miracle sensor breakthrough that they left out of 5D3 and 1DX), nothing other the cams can't? Maybe it's perfect for you and all you need, which is fine, but that doesn't make it more wow factor than the rest, it makes it perfectly fine for you, maybe wow on price (for a Canon FF that is new that is). If you care about high iso and nothing more the 1DX is likely a little bit better.

1       2      
       4              7       8       end