46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?
/forum/topic/1151237/14

1       2       3              14      
15
       16       17       end

retrofocus
Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Total Posts: 4029
Country: United States

n0b0 wrote:
Because camera manufacturers makes more money building a whole camera and update it incrementally, just like Apple does.

Then there's also the issue of compatibility with the software. 3rd party lens is a good if somewhat basic example of modularity. They don't AF as fast, accurate and reliable as OEM lenses.

To be honest with you, I think PC modularity came from the nerds who modded their machine, then a whole market opened up because of it. It's the same with cars and aftermarket parts. So if you want the same thing with dslr, people will need to start modding their cameras in big numbers.



Yes, given there will be a lot of issues to overcome to get such project started. Manufacturers design firmware specifically in a way to protect their products and to give third party manufacturers a hard time to reverse engineer and to make the lens work on future camera models. On the other hand this could be an advantage also for this futuristic module camera since it could be more compatible with a bigger variety of gear on the market - even a lens AF might not work as perfect as directly mounted on the same manufacturer's camera.

In the beginning this would be more a niche market, but I can imagine that people would jump on this wagon if there is a big enough of cost saving advantage for a good managed quality of such camera.



Dergiman
Registered: Mar 12, 2005
Total Posts: 815
Country: Austria

This modular approach already exists, it is called a medium format digital back. You can have these in different mounts for a variety of cameras. The Sinar and some older Hasselblad backs have mount adapters that can be changed by the user. You can pick the camera that fits your needs or price bracket. Some medium format cameras can take lenses from other manufacturers via adapter like the Leica S and Hasselblad lenses (with working AF and shutter). Other very modular cameras are the Hartblei HCam and the new Alpa 12FPS. All that drives cost up, not down.



EOS20
Registered: Mar 06, 2005
Total Posts: 13638
Country: Australia

The Sony NEX system has the A mount adapter with phase detect AF (same as the one found on a Alpha d/SLR) Maybe the future is a mirrorless camera based modular system where you can buy different mount adapters with different autofocus modules to suit your budget/shooting style, then you add your 'camera back' to also suit what you need (high MP or one with high burst rate) and then you can add other accessories like EVF's, hand grips etc.

Here's the adapter:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/Sony_NEX-7.html









alundeb
Registered: Nov 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4405
Country: Norway

Then there is the Ricoh GXR modular camera, with lens+sensor modules.



Monito
Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Total Posts: 10087
Country: Canada

retrofocus wrote: Sorry, but so far nobody could give me fact-based reasons why someone couldn't try to develop a modular DSLR system

You have been given facts, but you don't recognize them for what they are and counter with more fantasizing.

retrofocus wrote: I can imagine that people would jump on this wagon if there is a big enough of cost saving advantage for a good managed quality of such camera.



Psychic1
Registered: Jul 25, 2006
Total Posts: 4604
Country: United States

"Cost, cost, cost..."

The higher the cost the more I like it, it keeps the rif-raf out of my way.

If you can dis-assemble and re-assemble your dslr and post a photo you might be able to build your own from a kit.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/mk4-roadster/



retrofocus
Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Total Posts: 4029
Country: United States

EOS20 wrote:
The Sony NEX system has the A mount adapter with phase detect AF (same as the one found on a Alpha d/SLR) Maybe the future is a mirrorless camera based modular system where you can buy different mount adapters with different autofocus modules to suit your budget/shooting style, then you add your 'camera back' to also suit what you need (high MP or one with high burst rate) and then you can add other accessories like EVF's, hand grips etc.

Here's the adapter:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/Sony_NEX-7.html










Very good point, EOS20! Thanks for sharing!


n0b0
Registered: Sep 22, 2008
Total Posts: 5654
Country: Australia

There's no cost saving advantage to modular cameras like that NEX system though, in fact, it's the exact opposite of "cost saving advantage" because they all come from a single company. It's like buying a bunch of Apple accessories.

You will only save money if those modules come from competing manufacturers.

A true modular camera is like this. You buy a standardised empty magnesium shell much like an empty PC case, then you add the AF module from Canon, sensor module from Sony, etc. all controlled by a standardised firmware much like how Windows OS work regardless of the components' brand.

But we know that's not gonna happen.



retrofocus
Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Total Posts: 4029
Country: United States

n0b0 wrote:
There's no cost saving advantage to modular cameras like that NEX system though, in fact, it's the exact opposite of "cost saving advantage" because they all come from a single company. It's like buying a bunch of Apple accessories.

You will only save money if those modules come from competing manufacturers.

A true modular camera is like this. You buy a standardised empty magnesium shell much like an empty PC case, then you add the AF module from Canon, sensor module from Sony, etc. all controlled by a standardised firmware much like how Windows OS work regardless of the components' brand.

But we know that's not gonna happen.



That was EOS20 point, he just showed the NEX system as an example. Sure enough for a modular camera things would be added from different manufacturers as you stated above.



WebDog
Registered: Dec 20, 2003
Total Posts: 1343
Country: Sweden

True or not?? Time will tell
http://fstoppers.com/canon-3d-outed-by-bh



RobDickinson
Registered: Sep 25, 2009
Total Posts: 3504
Country: New Zealand

I hope its not a chunky 1 series body.



Derek Weston
Registered: Dec 04, 2009
Total Posts: 961
Country: United States

WebDog wrote:
True or not?? Time will tell
http://fstoppers.com/canon-3d-outed-by-bh


I could've easily photoshopped something like that. Notice no URL at the top. (though even that could be spoofed)

That said... perhaps true.



Rickuz
Registered: May 22, 2012
Total Posts: 461
Country: Sweden

RobDickinson wrote:
I hope its not a chunky 1 series body.


Same here! 1D size body is a pain to carry around, especially when traveling / hiking / landscaping. It is just big bulky and heavy.

I understand that people have different needs, but people who really desire the bigger size and weight can easily add a battery grip.

I am hoping for 5D size, with full weather sealing.. Rebel size would be even better, but that is just a wild dream.



Psychic1
Registered: Jul 25, 2006
Total Posts: 4604
Country: United States

Just placed my order

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1153983/0#11011325



vsg28
Registered: May 07, 2012
Total Posts: 1227
Country: United States

Isn't entire B&H in vacation? Who would have updated this listing in their website?



Psychic1
Registered: Jul 25, 2006
Total Posts: 4604
Country: United States

They opened at 8PM and I have a friend that works for them, so, I'm first on the list



John Mills
Registered: Aug 23, 2007
Total Posts: 376
Country: Australia

Isn't there supposed to be a rumour of a D4x that is 52MP being announced by years end as well?



Shutterbug2006
Registered: Jun 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1078
Country: Canada

The Manufacturers part number listed in that B&H screen shot traces to a Canon Elph 510HS.



Psychic1
Registered: Jul 25, 2006
Total Posts: 4604
Country: United States

It's a misprint They gave me the number.



Shutterbug2006
Registered: Jun 03, 2010
Total Posts: 1078
Country: Canada

Psychic1 wrote:
It's a misprint They gave me the number.


Really? So they're suggesting it's not a rumour then?



1       2       3              14      
15
       16       17       end