Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone
/forum/topic/1151092/4

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Arro
Total Posts: 40

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=101&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=787&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

skibum5
Total Posts: 15205

thw2 wrote:
skibum5 wrote:
...unlike other sites this guys measurements really are far out there, extreme is way in the corners where it almost doesn't matter much for almost any lens... I've decided to only note his center and border scores and ignore his extreme scores, even for landscapes, the extreme scores seem only a trace relevant IMO, a trace, so forget them.

In this regard, both the 17-40 f/4L and 24-105 f/4L seem pretty decent if we ignore the extreme edges.

Klauss is VERY particular because most lenses are decent and one way to differentiate them is to be really picky and test to the extreme edges.

Note that the same can be said about modern day DSLRs....

nah 24-105 sucks at FF left and right edges while the 24 1.4 II and 24 T&S II do not nor do the samples from the new 24-70 II, all those latter three do it very well

you hardly need to go to the extreme corners (and his extreme edges are the extreme corners, NOT the far left and right of the frame) to notice differences between lenses

skibum5

Seems like no stores have received any stock of this lens, at least in the US, since the initial batch two weeks ago, I take it? Or is that not correct?

Any word?

Are the rumors of lens copy variation making another delay on it again??

evertdoorn
Total Posts: 787

got mail today from my local dealer here in the netherlands that the first batch will arrive on Friday and that I'll get to pick one up real soon.

Zenon Char
Total Posts: 755

skibum5 wrote:
thw2 wrote:
skibum5 wrote:
...unlike other sites this guys measurements really are far out there, extreme is way in the corners where it almost doesn't matter much for almost any lens... I've decided to only note his center and border scores and ignore his extreme scores, even for landscapes, the extreme scores seem only a trace relevant IMO, a trace, so forget them.

In this regard, both the 17-40 f/4L and 24-105 f/4L seem pretty decent if we ignore the extreme edges.

Klauss is VERY particular because most lenses are decent and one way to differentiate them is to be really picky and test to the extreme edges.

Note that the same can be said about modern day DSLRs....

nah 24-105 sucks at FF left and right edges while the 24 1.4 II and 24 T&S II do not not do the samples from thenew 24-70 II

you hardly need to go to the extreme corners (and his extreme edges are the extreme corners, NOT the far left and right of the frame) to notice differences between lenses

Agreed. The 24-105 is brutal @ 24.

skibum5

evertdoorn wrote:
got mail today from my local dealer here in the netherlands that the first batch will arrive on Friday and that I'll get to pick one up real soon.

hopefully we get another batch in the US on Fri too

EDIT: nope

woos
Total Posts: 243

DLO cleans up the 24-105mm at 24mm f/8 quite nicely.

NCAndy
Total Posts: 834

My 24-70II is sitting in the B&H warehouse waiting to be shipped. Since I ordered it back in early Spring, my cc had since expired and by the time I got the message from the cs dept. it was too late to ship out before the holiday closure. It will go out tomorrow and I'll probably have it Monday.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19155

I got mine yesterday.

skibum5

jcolwell wrote:
I got mine yesterday.

dang, from where? you must be happy

if anyone knows any store in the US that as any in stock please PM me

really hoped to have it for special trip coming very soon and a few other things right after

Dang, never imagined 2 weeks ahead of time pre-order at local store wouldn't get me in the first shipment.

jcolwell

jcolwell wrote:
I got mine yesterday.

skibum5 wrote:

I ordered from CPS Canada through my local Atlantic Photo Supply shop. Yes, I'm happy. APS figures it's the first and so far only one in Atlantic Canada.

risedal
Total Posts: 31

I hope you got a good and well-centered copy, it took me 4 different ex 24-70 MK1 to find a good copy.

thw2
Total Posts: 2797

risedal wrote:
I hope you got a good and well-centered copy, it took me 4 different ex 24-70 MK1 to find a good copy.

You seem like a highly frustrated Canon user: having problems with their sensors, cameras and lenses. You are better off with any other brand.

jcolwell

My 24-70/2.8L Mk I was a very fine lens. I sold it two years ago because it got very little use compared to my 24-105/4L IS. I'll be getting back into shooting events over the winter, and so it makes sense to get a new f/2.8 normal zoom - 24-70/2.8L II it is!

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17415

Update: Bryan at the-digital-picture.com just posted a review on the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II lens. (Part I)

skibum5

jcolwell wrote:
jcolwell wrote:
I got mine yesterday.

skibum5 wrote:

I ordered from CPS Canada through my local Atlantic Photo Supply shop. Yes, I'm happy. APS figures it's the first and so far only one in Atlantic Canada.

very lucky then

I really blew it, I didn't realize the local store had already received first batch and that there had been a long waiting list. I would've called all over two weeks ago and nabbed one somewhere else.

bhollis
Total Posts: 69

Skibum,

PCNation supposedly has them in stock. Better hurry!

jasonFTW
Total Posts: 7

Thanks! Ordered. Let's hope they really are in stock. Cancelling Adorama pre-order now.

skibum5

bhollis wrote:
Skibum,

PCNation supposedly has them in stock. Better hurry!

Wow, they do. Thank you so much!

(I had only found stock so far at Beach, online division only, not the storefront, and the online division was gouging - $2999 and on that I had to say forget it haha.)

jasonFTW
Total Posts: 7

It looks like onecall also has them in stock for $2,299. They are also an authorized dealer. I got my 5d3 from there, no problems at all.

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end