Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/83

1       2       3              83      
       85              91       92       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

Bobu
Total Posts: 1863

In May I spent one week snorkeling on the Maldives. After testing and discussing some options for underwater photography I decided to get a Ewa-Marine housing for my DP2M and use the Sigma for underwater images on this trip.
Since I had lots of problems with this combination, it is a solution I would not really recommend (at least not for underwater images, for rafting, kayaking, canyoning etc. it could work).
You can find some more information about the problems on my blog:
http://wild-places.com/2013/06/15/maldives-my-first-attempt-in-underwater-photography/

Here are some images from this trip:

Maldives_02__SDI2468 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Maldives_03__SDI3261 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Maldives_01__SDI2436 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Wetpixel_Maldives_01__SDI2602 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Maldives_04__SDI2990 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Wetpixel_Maldives_08__SDI2974 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Wetpixel_Maldives_06__SDI3017 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Wetpixel_Maldives_03__SDI2518 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Wetpixel_Maldives_09__SDI3086 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

Wetpixel_Maldives_02__SDI2626 von Wild_Places auf Flickr

tsdevine
Total Posts: 1876

Great detail scuptormic, love the heron shots Bobu.

Here's one from Gettysburg...

-Tim

juan_amores
Total Posts: 533

Some pics from Ronda (Malaga, Spain).

_SDI0954 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0956 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0957 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI0955 por John Loves, en Flickr

juan_amores

A few more from Málaga.

_SDI0998 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1001 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1008 por John Loves, en Flickr

nahte03
Total Posts: 23

One from my trip to Roan Mountain Highlands, North Carolina.

Majestic View - Jane Bald by ChloEthan, on Flickr

alwang
Total Posts: 1124

Awesome! Is that the DP1M?

nahte03
Total Posts: 23

alwang - This shot was taken by the DP2M. I stitched together several images to gain a wider perspective.

sculptormic
Total Posts: 2582

At the pier.

sculptormic

Two from this series.

juan_amores

These are fron Huelva (Spain)

_SDI1015 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1016 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1023 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1017 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1044 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1048 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1052 por John Loves, en Flickr

Chrissearle
Total Posts: 292

Grass 3 by Jeaunse23, on Flickr

sculptormic

Some recent landscapes to bump up the thread

andyjaggy82
Total Posts: 1435

I have been shooting these for a while now, and I have to say they are truly impressive little cameras. They have one fatal flaw for me though, how they handle shooting into the sun. I like to do sunbursts coming up over the horizon, and well, these cameras just can't do it.

For your viewing pleasure. Red grid flare. I can do this with my SLR just fine, with minimal flare, I have never seen anything like this before.

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6692

Is the Lightroom workflow on this still terrible?

Export to DNG from the horrible Sigma software then import the DNG into Lightroom?

sculptormic

I don't think the Sigma software is horrible at all. I actually think the software is quiet good. My only issue is that it is rather slow, but the tools are fine. Once I exported the TIFF files I hardly have to do anything in ACR or LR.
This is a quote from another user and I agree; But the thing I like most...is the moment during the 'development' when the RAW X3F file suddenly 'materializes' right before your eyes revealing all its the Foveon '3D' magic and razor edged sharpness.

People keep saying it is worthless and horrible and everybody starts to believe it. Not the whole world is Adobe.
The software gets regular updates and I have the feeling that Sigma is on top of it to develop it further.

andyjaggy82

The software works fine, it's just very slow in loading the full resolution file and applying edits to it. Other then that it works fine.

millsart
Total Posts: 6114

I agree, the software really isn't too bad, and actually the monochrome mode works really well.

It is a bit slower than LR et al, and basically your not going to be able to fly through a ton of images and make lots of real time tweaks, but, the workflow matches the pace of shooting with the camera, which is also a bit slower.

You have a good amount of control, and the files are pretty pliable, you just have to go a bit slow and then wait 30 seconds or so to develop a shot.

Now if I was using it for a work assignment, I'd go crazy as I need to turn around images quickly but then again, using the camera for a work assignment would also drive me crazy with the long write times and such.

Basically if I've got the time to leisurely set up the tripod and take a composed shot with the DP2m, I also need to have to time to leisurely sit down at the computer and process the files.

I totally get where people are coming from with the complaints, but I also think that having to spend 1-2 minutes processing a file really isn't all that horrible.

Maybe for those who only knew digital, but I remember coming back from a shoot and processing my own 120 and 4x5 sheet film. Compared to that process anything feels quick.

The resulting files always turn out to be worth the effort though for that crystal clarity and per pixel sharpness even at 100%

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6692

I hate spending time developing a photo in software. I spend more than enough time in front of the computer for work. I guess this is not really the camera for me.

andyjaggy82

If you are used to shooting hundreds of shots in a day or photo shoot, and blowing through processing them, not this really isn't the camera for you. It's not the camera for a lot of people honestly, but what it does it does ridiculously well.

1       2       3              83      
       85              91       92       end