Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/63

1       2       3              63      
       65              91       92       end

kosmoskatten
Total Posts: 3046

Jede:
just as I remember the child hood days in wintry Suomi/Finland.

Beautiful.

sculptormic
Total Posts: 1521

kgelner wrote:
nandadevieast wrote:
Why is there a highlight slider...isn't it for recovery?

The nice thing about overexposing slightly with the Merrill sensor cameras is that you can recover the highlights totally, and the shadows are cleaner. I shoot at +0.7 exp almost all the time (and for something like a very white scene would adjust that further to +1.7 or whatever is needed).

That's right! That's why I always try to expose for the shadow.

nandadevieast
Total Posts: 409

Are the distance markings on the LCD, when you focus manually, correct?

Jede
Total Posts: 36

Some more from today..

Behind the Rail

Under the Bridge

kosmoskatten, I'm just 100km from the area you you're familiar with, so no wonder

Luis Cunha
Total Posts: 113

Jede wrote:

Treeline

Love the trees.

nandadevieast

Two interesting VF solutions from photosolve:

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/lcd-view-finder

and

http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendaview/pro3.0/index.html

Any experience with these ?

Chrissearle
Total Posts: 245

Thanks Juan, the camera has already exceeded my expectations and yes, thanks to this thread I have already discerned colour casts and edge artefacts that I will, I am sure be able to remove or reduce after getting used to the interplay between SPP and LR4 however, for the present, they do not concern me at all and this point is very much reinforced by the reaction of non- forum friends which is 100% amazement, nobody except the ultra critical even sees these issues.

So, the camera works for me, I use it 100% on a tripod and 100% at ISO 100.

Chrissearle
Total Posts: 245

Snowy branches on Dartmoor. I'm currently enjoying making pictures that make use of the Foveon look that my other cameras would struggle with.

Snowy branches by Jeaunse23, on Flickr

cjrpostma
Total Posts: 91

Hey, that is a nice shot, Chrissearle. Deserves a thread bump.

To follow up on my question to Kit, I just received the Benro MeFoto travel tripod in titanium and it is awesome (for the price). I have the RRS plates on my camera and the arca swiss compatible head that comes with the MeFoto works perfectly with the RRS plates.

nandadevieast

httivals
Total Posts: 986

The Foveon look seems very similar to the effect you can create with the Tonal Contrast filter in Nik Color Efex 4.

Kit Laughlin
Total Posts: 3563

cjrpostma: excellent. Amazingly well made for the price.

sculptormic

Lovely image nandadevieast!

One from the Amstelriver.

Some of my DP2Merrill images are presented here by outbackphoto.http://www.outbackphoto.net/news/2013/1/25/featured-photographer-michiel-schierbeek.html

Pic One
Total Posts: 89

httivals wrote:
The Foveon look seems very similar to the effect you can create with the Tonal Contrast filter in Nik Color Efex 4.

You have it backwards. "The effect you can create with the Tonal Contrast filter in Nik Color Efex 4 looks very similar to the Foveon"

Luis Cunha

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/sppmonochrome/en/introduction.html
Monochrome world.
:-)

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2533

sculptormic wrote:
Some of my DP2Merrill images are presented here by outbackphoto.http://www.outbackphoto.net/news/2013/1/25/featured-photographer-michiel-schierbeek.html

Very nice Michiel, congrats!

kosmoskatten

I have finally gotten my foot out of my *ss and got myself an outing with the DP1 Merrill.
At first I was going to bring it on a winter run but the run turned into a full marathon run before breakfast and 42,2km later I was back home with a growling stomach.
The day after (scheduled DP outing) was spent eating and resting and the third day was very cold so I only managed a recovery run before calling it a day.

On the fourth day I took the DP1M out and tried it out on some wintry cityscape at around minus 15 to 17 C. I like what I see and I regret not bringing the DP2M (only had one battery charged out of four - MY BAD) as the cityscape presented some opportunities for both. I am very impressed with the resulting files, unfortunately they were somehow changed and shot on ISO320 instead of base or 100ISO after I changed the ISO increments to 1/3.

I am going to post samples but I would like to know if any of you DP users have worked out a process of saving for web/shrinking without losing out on the amazing detail.
First attempt was too soft for my liking and instead of spending time with trial and error I'd like to skip to the chase.

sculptormic

Kosmokatten, I can only tell you the way I do it, but it may be not the best way.
I don't do that much in post processing.
I do check everything in SPP, exposure, saturation, x3 fll light etc, but most important is getting the colours right in the colour wheel. Just trial and error actually. When I look back at photo's I often change the colour settings again because I think they are not right compared to the other from the same set. Export as TIFF.

In ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) I often add some colour brightness and 1 or a few stops of saturation. Sometimes I correct colour and temperature some more. But I try to get it as good as possible in SPP. (no sharpening needed)CMake it 72 dpi, choose the size you want and save for the web.
That's about it, I think.

BTW, you must be in great shape

@mcbroomf; thank you

Luis Cunha

kosmoskatten wrote:
I have finally gotten my foot out of my *ss and got myself an outing with the DP1 Merrill.
At first I was going to bring it on a winter run but the run turned into a full marathon run before breakfast and 42,2km later I was back home with a growling stomach.
The day after (scheduled DP outing) was spent eating and resting and the third day was very cold so I only managed a recovery run before calling it a day.

On the fourth day I took the DP1M out and tried it out on some wintry cityscape at around minus 15 to 17 C. I like what I see and I regret not bringing the DP2M (only had one battery charged out of four - MY BAD) as the cityscape presented some opportunities for both. I am very impressed with the resulting files, unfortunately they were somehow changed and shot on ISO320 instead of base or 100ISO after I changed the ISO increments to 1/3.

I am going to post samples but I would like to know if any of you DP users have worked out a process of saving for web/shrinking without losing out on the amazing detail.
First attempt was too soft for my liking and instead of spending time with trial and error I'd like to skip to the chase.

I want to see those DP1M results, please .-)

kosmoskatten

crop_0197 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Starting off at the "wrong end" of things with a 100% square crop from the original image from Riddarfjärden in Stockholm.

None of my current photo hosts have any means of uploading without mushing/softening the photos so I will have to downsize them a bit more and try again.

1       2       3              63      
       65              91       92       end