Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/60

1       2       3              60      
61
       62              91       92       end

marcus riley
Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Total Posts: 192
Country: United States

nandadevieast wrote:
Marcus,
Where did you get this list from...just want to check if there are any canon/nikon/oly and other brand cameras included in the list...?
regards,



I got the list from some listings on taobao.com (it's like our Amazon here in China, where I live now). I was looking for generic batteries for my DP2m and some of the listings had listings about all of the cameras that use similar batteries.

Like I said, I HAVE NOT confirmed all of the cameras on the list, but I did search for a few of them and the batteries really did end up being the same. And in the end, I ended up buying a battery for one of the other cameras on the list, one of the panasonics, because NONE of the local camera stores had DP2m batteries. But if you just show the battery and ask them to give you one that looks similar, I found that most stores will have a battery that can be used in the DP2m.

Chargers are a little bit more mysterious, but I imagine there has to be one out there, even where you are, since so many cameras are using the same battery.



nandadevieast
Registered: Aug 12, 2012
Total Posts: 400
Country: India

Marcus, the LX1 battery might be 3.7, you are right....it is the charger which reads 4.2V...not the battery.

marcus riley wrote:
nandadevieast wrote:
I got the panasonic LX1 charger, but:
it says 4.2V and the DP2M battery says 3.6V...


It's strange because all of the replacement batteries I've seen for the LX1 are 3.6v or 3.7v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CGA-S005A-1B-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B000FOU0VU/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358412204&sr=1-10&keywords=panasonic+LX1+battery


Also, I just checked on dpreview's test of the LX1, they specify that the LX1 has a 3.7v 1150mah battery:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/2

Maybe a regional difference or maybe that small of a voltage difference doesn't matter?

Here is a genuine panasonic battery that is supposed to be for the LX1 among others. It says 3.7v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CGA-S005A-1B-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B000FOU0VU/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358412204&sr=1-10&keywords=panasonic+LX1+battery

And here is the genuine panasonic charger (DE-A41BD) for the above batter and it says 4.2v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DE-A41BD-Adapter-Battery-CGA-S005A/dp/B004ZVWJQ8/ref=pd_cp_p_3



marcus riley
Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Total Posts: 192
Country: United States

Right, that's why I included the last 2 links, showing that the original battery does indeed say 3.7v but the original panasonic charger for that battery says 4.2v. And these are both genuine panasonic products, not 3rd party. That would make me feel a little better about using the 4.2v charger with the DP2m batteries, because it seems that the original votage difference with the panasonic batteries vs. charger voltage was the same.

nandadevieast wrote:
Marcus, the LX1 battery might be 3.7, you are right....it is the charger which reads 4.2V...not the battery.

marcus riley wrote:
nandadevieast wrote:
I got the panasonic LX1 charger, but:
it says 4.2V and the DP2M battery says 3.6V...


It's strange because all of the replacement batteries I've seen for the LX1 are 3.6v or 3.7v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CGA-S005A-1B-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B000FOU0VU/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358412204&sr=1-10&keywords=panasonic+LX1+battery


Also, I just checked on dpreview's test of the LX1, they specify that the LX1 has a 3.7v 1150mah battery:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/2

Maybe a regional difference or maybe that small of a voltage difference doesn't matter?

Here is a genuine panasonic battery that is supposed to be for the LX1 among others. It says 3.7v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CGA-S005A-1B-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B000FOU0VU/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358412204&sr=1-10&keywords=panasonic+LX1+battery

And here is the genuine panasonic charger (DE-A41BD) for the above batter and it says 4.2v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DE-A41BD-Adapter-Battery-CGA-S005A/dp/B004ZVWJQ8/ref=pd_cp_p_3




nandadevieast
Registered: Aug 12, 2012
Total Posts: 400
Country: India

Yup, you're right. And it does work, i've just charged the batteries.
Thanks a lot Marcus, i sorted this out with your help, without even buying or ordering anything new
Internet can be crazy...

marcus riley wrote:
Right, that's why I included the last 2 links, showing that the original battery does indeed say 3.7v but the original panasonic charger for that battery says 4.2v. And these are both genuine panasonic products, not 3rd party. That makes me feel a little better about using the 4.2v charger with the DP2m batteries, because it seems that the original votage difference with the panasonic batteries vs charger voltage was the same.



marcus riley
Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Total Posts: 192
Country: United States

No problem! I know in places like where you and I live, if we had to wait for a genuine Sigma charger, it might take a while, and cost a lot. Glad it worked out and you're back to taking photos.

nandadevieast wrote:
Yup, you're right. And it does work, i've just charged the batteries.
Thanks a lot Marcus, i sorted this out with your help, without even buying or ordering anything new
Internet can be crazy...





Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Jede wrote:
I got a comprehensive message full of tips and valuable information from marcus riley some days ago based on the raw file of my last image. He suggested overexposing the image a bit, as Foveon sensor seems to be not doing so favorably with underexposure. Encouraged by this, I went out yesterday and tried 5 different landscape scenes, taking ISO100 images on each and every one. I bracketed every scene -1/0/+1 in aperture priority mode, and even went further to do two with -2/-1/0/+1/+2.

I didn't get the lines visible in any image, as it was afternoon with some light still available. However after fixing every image to match my wanted exposure (usually very close to "zero level" metering), I found +1 exposure to produce quality most favorable to my eye. I can't define the reasons why, but I chose exposure from every scene set after correcting the exposure to same level in each individual file. Without knowing which was which, on 4 out of 5 scenes the image exposed over by one stop and corrected in post processing was chosen.

I also tried some rather extreme post processing with one scene in Color Efex Pro, and wasn't able to see the lines. I'll try the bracketing again in a scene with very little light available, when I have time. But from now on, I'll be using +0.3 to +1.0 exposure correction as a standard depending on the scene.

Here's the scene which I intentionally edited to "unrealistic" look.



Smoke


I must visit Finland ,-D



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Two questions please:
1.
where do you guys usually know about Sigma news in first hand?
Any RSS in particular?
I pay attention to http://www.dpreview.com

2.
any more news about the dedicated Black and White workflow (SPP?) from Sigma?

One thought/question more:
It seems that the new Capture One Pro is supporting at last Fuji x-trans files:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/14/phase-one%27releases-capture-one-pro-7-02-with-fujifilm-x-trans-support

Why are Sigma and the Foveon sensors ignored (DXO do not test Foveon sensors either).
Technical difficulties? Marquet games?



Kibsgaard
Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Total Posts: 214
Country: Denmark

I have ordered the

"Tamrac A120 Zip Shot Quick Release


To the right at the link below is for the tripod and in the middle for the camera

(at the left is for DSLR.s)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamrac-A120-grau-Quick-Release/dp/B005E65BK4


You can also see it here:


http://www.zipshottripod.com/ZipShot-Brochure-High-Res.pdf

It just - but perhaps to late ? - went into my mind if this little thing will cover the chamber for the battery, and with the huge askings for new batteries it would be a not quick release anymore , so - if that is the thing ?? - I want to cancell it


I can cancell it today, but not tomorrow, they will ship tomorrow

Does anybody by accident know if this little quick release will cover the chamber for the battery (you can not see the measurement any places - at least I could not find for the release and for the camera)??

I have send a mail to the seller and also to Tamrac, but no answer, and today is last day to cancell.

I know the problems with the tripod, but please forget that.


ADDED - more easy to see here - the last picture to the right:



http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6145161331/accessory-review-tamrac-zipshot-tripod



nandadevieast
Registered: Aug 12, 2012
Total Posts: 400
Country: India

what's the reason no thread on DP1M? Looks like very few people are buying it. Do you guys own both or just the DP2M? I am thinking eventually i will buy all three...



kosmoskatten
Registered: Oct 11, 2005
Total Posts: 2999
Country: Sweden

Not too many DP1M owners out there, it seems.
Not many places have them in stock and I guess many would like to cup a feel before taking the plunge, it isn't cheap.

Tomorrow my DP1M arrives by DHL.
I traded in my excess lenses for a DP1M, a lens (...) and some sundries.



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Im attracted to the DP1M wide lens but everyone says that the DP2M lens is even better.



kosmoskatten
Registered: Oct 11, 2005
Total Posts: 2999
Country: Sweden

Yes, expectation is slightly lower on the DP1M lens, at least from my end.

Considering the superb RF and medium format RF wide angles I have had in the past I am expecting a good, perhaps great, but not stellar lens. Samples seem to vary too so hopefully I get a decent copy. I usually don't worry about it, but there is always a risk.

The DP2M sits alright with me but I have always been more of a wideangle guy so I am not sure I will keep the DP2M but I might if I like the DP1M.



Kibsgaard
Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Total Posts: 214
Country: Denmark

Kibsgaard wrote:
I have ordered the

"Tamrac A120 Zip Shot Quick Release


To the right at the link below is for the tripod and in the middle for the camera

(at the left is for DSLR.s)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamrac-A120-grau-Quick-Release/dp/B005E65BK4


You can also see it here:


http://www.zipshottripod.com/ZipShot-Brochure-High-Res.pdf


It looks like there is room for the feature/quick release ?

It just - but perhaps to late ? - went into my mind if this little thing will cover the chamber for the battery, and with the huge askings for new batteries it would be a not quick release anymore , so - if that is the thing ?? - I want to cancell it


I can cancell it today, but not tomorrow, they will ship tomorrow

Does anybody by accident know if this little quick release will cover the chamber for the battery (you can not see the measurement any places - at least I could not find for the release and for the camera)??

I have send a mail to the seller and also to Tamrac, but no answer, and today is last day to cancell.

I know the problems with the tripod, but please forget that.


ADDED - more easy to see here - the last picture to the right:



http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6145161331/accessory-review-tamrac-zipshot-tripod



Finally found a picture:









cjrpostma
Registered: Sep 13, 2011
Total Posts: 91
Country: United States

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I hated the Gorilla (and I had the heavier duty one for DSLRs); it was a hopeless piece of kit.

The Benro "MeFoto" tripod is excellent, and has a decent ball head thrown inand is not much heaver than the Gorilla, and it packs up very very small.


Kit, do you happen to know if the ballhead that comes with this MeFoto tripod is compatible with the Really Right Stuff bracket for the DP2M? I have the entire bracket on my DP2M and want an arca-swiss style ballhead that is compatible. Obviously, I don't want to use the quick release attachment.

Thanks in advance!



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10670
Country: United States

nandadevieast wrote:
what's the reason no thread on DP1M? Looks like very few people are buying it. Do you guys own both or just the DP2M? I am thinking eventually i will buy all three...


I have both and find the DP1M to be better than I expected given some of the samples I had seen beforehand. For that reason, If someone is just buying one, I recommend doing so based soley on focal length (DP1 M image quality is just as good as DP2 M imo and experience).



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Thanks for the opinion ,-)



kosmoskatten
Registered: Oct 11, 2005
Total Posts: 2999
Country: Sweden

Thank you Tariq. Sounds reassuring.
28mm equiv is probably more of my teacup, though I would have LOVED a 18/21mm equiv. DP Merrill I look forward to a (sort of) pocketable high res wide angle option.

I am shopping small bags so I can bring them on my cross country runs without having to wear a running backpack.



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

I never went wider than 50mm .-)
DP2M is 35mm (equiv.)
DP1M is 28mm (equiv.)
Must decide.



tsdevine
Registered: May 26, 2006
Total Posts: 1108
Country: United States


DP2M is 45mm equiv. (30*1.5)



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Correct ,-)



1       2       3              60      
61
       62              91       92       end