Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/58

1       2       3              58      
59
       60              91       92       end

Jede
Registered: Oct 09, 2005
Total Posts: 36
Country: Finland

Steve Huff is mostly offering opinions and experiences from readers, along with some photo stories and reviews from his point of view. Nice reading, not very technical, but I've enjoyed most of them. You could argue with some, but as they are based on personal experience, one shouldn't take everything for granted.

For technical reading I'd suggest another site. So what's it worth for you.. decide for yourself



kosmoskatten
Registered: Oct 11, 2005
Total Posts: 2984
Country: Sweden

I have only done some less than stellar shooting with the DP2M but the initial impression is favorable. This morning I was debating whether to bring it on a 26km run, passing a few bridges in Stockholm. I thought, nah, no backpack on this run.

Lo and behold, I missed two really cool shots that I would have loved to have when I was passing over the Central Bridge by Old Town; a cool tug-boat looking vessel steered in just perfectly with ancient Riddarholmen as a backdrop. There is construction going on there and usually it is not photogenic but now there was a crane operating - perfectly in place for once - and that vessel, both at the same spot against a snowy, wintry backdrop. Lots of detail and some potentially very nice shots lost due to my being lazy.

Arrrgh. I got so disappointed and mad it kept me going for the rest of the run.



nandadevieast
Registered: Aug 12, 2012
Total Posts: 400
Country: India

Bad news guys.
I lost my DP2M charger



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Jede wrote:

For technical reading I'd suggest another site.


Suggestions please?
Thanks.



sculptormic
Registered: Feb 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1354
Country: Netherlands

nandadevieast wrote:
Bad news guys.
I lost my DP2M charger


That's a shame. Alternative Ebay nr 190761785929



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

kosmoskatten wrote:
I have only done some less than stellar shooting with the DP2M but the initial impression is favorable. This morning I was debating whether to bring it on a 26km run, passing a few bridges in Stockholm. I thought, nah, no backpack on this run.

Lo and behold, I missed two really cool shots that I would have loved to have when I was passing over the Central Bridge by Old Town; a cool tug-boat looking vessel steered in just perfectly with ancient Riddarholmen as a backdrop. There is construction going on there and usually it is not photogenic but now there was a crane operating - perfectly in place for once - and that vessel, both at the same spot against a snowy, wintry backdrop. Lots of detail and some potentially very nice shots lost due to my being lazy.

Arrrgh. I got so disappointed and mad it kept me going for the rest of the run.


Thatīs one the main reasons Iīm looking for a High IQ compact. To stay with me every time.
Yesterday I was 12 hours shooting with my DSLR in a museum. With a tripod. Uff.
On the street; two hours and Iīm dead. My wrist hurts, my back, etc.
My camera is a workhorse. But thereīs more life to shoot outdoors and the camera must not be a problem but an "invisible" solution.



Jede
Registered: Oct 09, 2005
Total Posts: 36
Country: Finland

Luis Cunha wrote:
Suggestions please?
Thanks.


Umm..


Luminous Landscape
Diglloyd (Subscription based, I have only read the free ones)
Reid Reviews (Yearly subscription. Paid it, and I'm liking it. New things rarely, but I like to read old stuff also)
Ming Thein blog Check it for yourself. Not too technical. I like his insight, and value the opinions. Nice way to write too.

And kosmoskatten, congrats for the new camera



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Those I already know (currently reading Reidīs). Not your fault ,-) and thanks for sharing.



marcus riley
Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Total Posts: 192
Country: United States

nandadevieast wrote:
Bad news guys.
I lost my DP2M charger


Sucks.

Lots of small cameras use the same battery. I don't know about where you are, but where I currently live, they have 3rd party double battery chargers available so you can charge 2 at a time. I'm thinking of picking one up just to be more convienent when travelling and recharging batteries every night.

Hope you get a new one soon before your batteries run out, which will probably happen after about 20 pictures according to many reviewers haha.

(my record is just over 400 shots on 1.5 batteries BTW, but about 30-40 of those were bracketed pictures, but still pretty satisfying battery life for such a tiny battery).



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10654
Country: United States

Luis Cunha wrote:
Is this website worth to follow?


Well, to be fair, that quick test was not performed by Steve Huff (though some would argue some of his tests are not much better). Worth following? That's really up to each individual to decide. I think there is at least some value in reading some of his reviews - particularly if he is reviewing something you are interested in. Just take it with a grain of salt.



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Thanks for your opinion.



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10654
Country: United States

Luis Cunha wrote:
Those I already know (currently reading Reidīs). Not your fault ,-) and thanks for sharing.


Sean Reid is very good/ thorough imo but, unfortunately, he seems extremely slow in adding content lately, particularly given one is paying for it.

Camera reviews - imaging-resource.com is pretty decent.



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Luis Cunha wrote:
Those I already know (currently reading Reidīs). Not your fault ,-) and thanks for sharing.


Sean Reid is very good/ thorough imo but, unfortunately, he seems extremely slow in adding content lately, particularly given one is paying for it.

Camera reviews - imaging-resource.com is pretty decent.


Yes I like Reid and Iīm looking forward to read his reviews about DP3M, new Fujiīs, etc. The general texts on photography, art, etc; are also fine. My first years subs. Hope to read good stuff during 2013.
The other website; I knew it too ,-)



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10654
Country: United States

Luis Cunha wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
Luis Cunha wrote:
Those I already know (currently reading Reidīs). Not your fault ,-) and thanks for sharing.


Sean Reid is very good/ thorough imo but, unfortunately, he seems extremely slow in adding content lately, particularly given one is paying for it.

Camera reviews - imaging-resource.com is pretty decent.


Yes I like Reid and Iīm looking forward to read his reviews about DP3M, new Fujiīs, etc. The general texts on photography, art, etc; are also fine. My first years subs. Hope to read good stuff during 2013.
The other website; I knew it too ,-)


Yeah, I figured you must have known it.

For your first year subs. to Reid, the lack of updates is not such an issue as he certainly has a lot of relevant and older articles to catch up on. I'm sure once the Leica M is available, he will publish quite a bit about that camera.



mordicai
Registered: Oct 11, 2007
Total Posts: 131
Country: United States

Recieved the Richard Franiec grip today for the DP2. Spent a couple of hours with it in the woods. Just amazing. One hand camera control. Fabulous product!



tsdevine
Registered: May 26, 2006
Total Posts: 1100
Country: United States

Was looking to buy a 28mm prime for my 5D II. After getting to shoot the DP2M a little over the past few weeks, I think I'll be getting a DP1M instead.

Here's a shot from last Saturday



Have the RRS L plate/grip BTW....it's also very nice.

-Tim



Bobu
Registered: Apr 22, 2004
Total Posts: 1422
Country: Germany

tsdevine wrote:
Here's a shot from last Saturday



Great image!

I'm also thinking about getting the DP1M (in addition to my DP2M)

Boris



MorrieC
Registered: Oct 31, 2004
Total Posts: 263
Country: United States

Great capture. Thank you for sharing.
Morrie



nandadevieast
Registered: Aug 12, 2012
Total Posts: 400
Country: India

Thanks guys.
I live in India, and Sigma do have a representation here, but not in a big way like Nikon or Canon. I spoke to the dealer and they said they will have to order it from abroad, which means maybe few weeks. Third party batteries and charger not available, maybe i can order online, trying to find out.
What a bummer. Just when i was firing on all...



Luis Cunha
Registered: Dec 26, 2012
Total Posts: 113
Country: Portugal

nandadevieast wrote:
Thanks guys.
I live in India, and Sigma do have a representation here, but not in a big way like Nikon or Canon. I spoke to the dealer and they said they will have to order it from abroad, which means maybe few weeks. Third party batteries and charger not available, maybe i can order online, trying to find out.
What a bummer. Just when i was firing on all...


Time to look with time the world around you. Look, look, look.
Look at your images too.
Itīs a chance for a bit of silence.



1       2       3              58      
59
       60              91       92       end