Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/52

1       2       3              52      
       54              91       92       end

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3547

Makes me want to visit Segovia.

sculptormic
Total Posts: 1519

Some more (vertical) French facades from around Christmas.

Jede
Total Posts: 36

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/sppmonochrome/en/photo_gallery.html

Getting interesting. The images from 16-bit tiffs ran through Silver Efex are nice, but I bet SPP can take full use of x3f color channel depth. Can't wait for this update

sculptormic
Total Posts: 1519

Yes it was already announced and it will be there soon.

It is just great to have this addition to SPP. This sensor has already proven to be good with B&W. (Not by me, I like colour, but I will sure give it a try.)
It also means that they continue to develop SPP further which is a good thing and neccesary.

cjrpostma
Total Posts: 91

I usually prefer realism but I'm having a lot of fun playing with the settings in SPP. Never thought I would say that after using it the first time.

Here is another example of pushing exposure to -2 and fill to +2:

DP2M OR by cjrpostma, on Flickr

cjrpostma

Wow, so after running Windows update today I am no longer able to use SPP without encountering a runtime error. I've tried reinstalling SPP to no avail. Now begins the painful process of finding the culprit.

cjrpostma

Figured it out. Never store a TIFF with layers embedded in the file in the same folder that SPP is trying to display previews from. As soon as I removed the TIFF, it started working again.

neilvan
Total Posts: 505

Just playing with the Monochrome white balance setting in the current version of SPP and thought I would share. I am looking forward to the new monochrome features coming out in February!

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

mpmendenhall wrote:
Yakim Peled wrote:
Just think what would happen if Sigma would put this sensor in MILC....

Breathtakingly egregious color shift and smearing when used with anything except specially designed, slow aperture / extra telecentric lenses?

One must always strive to be optimistic.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

nandadevieast
Total Posts: 409

nandadevieast

nandadevieast

nandadevieast

nandadevieast

nandadevieast

nandadevieast

Jede

I can't seem to get images without banding&stripes when using banding noise removal in position lower than middle (default). Is this normal behavior, or a sensor malfunction?

Sometimes I get a bit too frustrated with this camera...

Luis Cunha
Total Posts: 113

Iīm still a DSLR user looking for a HQ compact second camera, so Iīve been editing DNG files with ACR/CS5 someone sent me, from DP2M and Leica M8 with Summilux 50mm/1,4 ASPH and Elmarit 28mm/2,8 ASPH.
Both received as DNG.

Theyīre not the same images done with two cameras. Nothing scientific. Taken buy regular users. Just to try edition.

I canīt say which one is better. Maybe more natural sharpness from Sigma. Both set of files are able to be edit for colour and B&W easily with good results.
Canīt share the files because they arenīt mine.

Sigma files are bigger.
Hope this helps, understanding this camera.

Ps. I canīt help myself and think about the price difference between the two system. Itīs unfair but...

Jede

Luis, a funny coincidence. I have been seriously considering about buying an M8 or M8.2 for b&w tool. The prices are quite reasonable nowadays, and I enjoy rangefinder experience over DSLR or mirrorless any time. The IR sensitivity makes it great for b&w.

However, the quirks and frustration make me think of replacing the Sigma with M9, which would be ok for color also. The price is steep, but it has been my grail for a long time. Usually Sigma images have that unique glow, and then I get banding, noise, low battery, need for a tripod etc. I just can't make up my mind.

Luis Cunha
Total Posts: 113

Neither do I ,-)
The M8 is now more affordable but at least doubles the Sigmaīs price without glass. ,-(
The M8 insīt a camera without (known) problems and limitation.
What attracts me more is the REAL experience of the rangefinder system (the true rangefinder viewfinder) that Iīve never had. And the Leica glass. I some Zeiss glass. Will Leica be better?

Funny too that my editing test were on colour BUT more important to me, B&W. I do both but I tend to think about B&W with a smaller camera. I donīt really know why.

I love colour but even with my macro work I do more and more monochromatic work (both pure B&W and monotone/duotone).

1       2       3              52      
       54              91       92       end