Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/51

1       2       3              51      
       53              91       92       end

kosmoskatten
Total Posts: 3008

Luis:
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sigma-dp3-merrill-pics-and-specs-leaked/

Luis Cunha
Total Posts: 113

Thanks ,-)

nandadevieast
Total Posts: 400

Jede,
with pictures this stunning, i don't mind banding at all.
Where is this place?
regards,

nandadevieast

some of my DP2M shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnihot/sets/72157631967146383/

Jede
Total Posts: 36

Luis Cunha wrote:
Thank you so much for this REAL USER feedback.

Happy to join the conversation

kosmoskatten wrote:
Jede; mahtavaa kuvia! Gorgeous shots! (Finnish spelling probably wrong?)

What type of banding removal did you try? The one that was presented earlier in this thread or your own recipe.

Cold weather performance is quite important to me as well, so thank you for the feedback on that.
Did you store the spare battery in your coat pocket? / Henrik

It's close enough I've just used SPP's banding noise setting and sharpness slider. I usually leave sharpness at 0 and banding noise in the lowest setting, but I tend to lower sharpness a tad and increase banding noise removal to the middle when experiencing extreme banding.

The camera works ok in the cold, if you have the possibility to keep it warm while not shooting. I had a tripod in my back with camera permanently attached (due the need to hold ski poles in my hands), and the batteries were kept in the outer pocket of my jacket. The little Sigma started to look quite frozen after 2 hours It's a shame I couldn't take a picture of it then. With a more careful preparation using this camera in cold weather shouldn't be a problem.

nandadevieast wrote:
Jede,
with pictures this stunning, i don't mind banding at all.
Where is this place?

Thanks. It's a personal decision in order to maintain sharpness in full size picture. I guess I could try to minimize it a bit further.

The latest shots in my Flickr stream are taken in Levi (a fell and a popular skiing destination in Finland). It's about 160km north from Rovaniemi where I live (in the Arctic Circle). The landscape screams for photo contributions, but most people tend to just go to tourist activities and stay near the services of Levi centre. I'm waiting for spring and longer daylight, which gives a bit more room for handheld work (and of course a bit warmer conditions too)

kosmoskatten

Jede: I have/had relatives north of Haaparanta, around Kolari and a few places along the border as far up as Torneo/Ylitorneo. I must admit that I have never heard of Levi though it is apparently not too far away from Kolari, judging by the map. I have spent many summers and winters up there when I was younger.

I haven't been there in many years though and haven't endured the winters up there since I was 15 or so.

Kylmä paikka = Henrik ei lähtee.

nandadevieast

Jede,
You are very lucky and blessed to live in such a beautiful place. Its too cold for me though. So i would say you are brave also.
regards,

Jede

Hehe. I'm not a big fan of cold weather either. I think I've grown blind to the environment I live in, and to inspire I have to travel away from where I live in order to enjoy photography.

It's the same dilemma with everyone of us I guess. The beauty is in front of us, but we've grown accustomed to it. My new year's promise is to try something new with photography. I'm not sure if DP2M will bend to that, as I really don't enjoy using it that much. It's results that reward with this camera, not the usage. For me that is.

Collin Orthner
Total Posts: 25

Jede, your work is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

nandadevieast

Jede,
Being blind to where one lives is a common problem...same here...i just can't see the beauty of my place...couple of days back i was traveling to my birth place in india and i said to myself, "beautiful". I was shocked because i never said this to myself before

Kit Laughlin
Total Posts: 3524

I thought some of you might be interested in my "as portable as possible" pano setup with the DP2M.

Here's an iPhone 5 snap of it:

Hmmm: I do not know why iPhone images are always rotated to landscape format when posted: can anyone enlighten me here? Update: fixed this by "counter-rotating" the image 90 degrees. What a kludge!

anyhow: the dedicated DP2M PT4Pano support is mounted to the "mini Rotator" which, according to the maker, provides a 23% overlap between images per click stop. This should provide sufficient overlap for stitching, according to PTGui.

The two-part PT4Pano rig is mounted here on a Benro "MeFoto" tripod and ball head. The whole setup when collapsed is tiny, weighs a few pounds, and is quick to deploy in the field. It is the lightest pano rig I have ever used.

EOS20
Total Posts: 13638

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/08/Sigma-dp3-merrill-foveon-75mm-equivalent

Snopchenko
Total Posts: 2163

I've taken the liberty of creating a dedicated thread for DP3.

juan_amores
Total Posts: 487

Hi, here are some images from a travel to Segovia (Spain):

Segovia_II por John Loves, en Flickr

Segovia_III_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

Segovia_V_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

Segovia_IV_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

Segovia_VIII por John Loves, en Flickr

Pano_Segovia por John Loves, en Flickr

Segovia_X por John Loves, en Flickr

dmbphotography
Total Posts: 414

kosmoskatten

There are some really great images in this thread.

Kit; where did you get the grip for the DP2M? I find it necessary to fit a grip and I am thinking of making one myself but that one looks like something that would fit the bill just fine.

Since the DP1M is on order I am going to need two I guess.

Woke up to a beautiful wintry morning and was set to go out with the DP2M for the first outing but after a mere two hours it had started to melt away.

BTW +1 on the comments on having a hard time finding beauty where you live.

Jede

Great images. It's always a pleasure reading new posts here.

Henrik, the grip is made by Richard Freniac. You can order one by Paypal, more information at http://www.kleptography.com/rf/. Mine hasn't arrived yet

kosmoskatten

OK kiitos, tack, merci and thanks.

sculptormic
Total Posts: 1377

Some lovely images, Juan! I have been there

juan_amores
Total Posts: 487

Thanks sculptormic
Good news:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/sigma-photo-pro-monochrome-mode

1       2       3              51