6D - hands on & first experience
/forum/topic/1150348/29

1       2       3              29      
       31              35       36       end

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

michael49 wrote:
Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you michael49. Did you use center AF point and recompose or the down outer point?

Ralph

Center - old habits die hard!!

No worries. Just call Bruce Willis.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

e.aland
Total Posts: 180

got my 6D this morning and tested it ad hoq with the 50L and 200L. its a wonderful and uniq combo together with the 200L. first impression: very good focus accuracy wide open.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3855

Congratulations and much pleasure and success with it.

danb121
Total Posts: 187

I've just ordered a 6D too, my first FF camera… I can't wait for it to arrive

Ralph Conway

So you will get yours before I get mine, too
Let us know about it as soon it arrives and you find time, please.

danb121

Ralph Conway wrote:

My 6D has just arrived

First impressions are that it's a perfect size and it does feel great in my hand, it's light too. I can't wait to get it home and put a lens on it... happy days!!!

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6583

Mike -- Sorry for the troubles. This happens in any field when you try something new, whether it is new gear or new techniques.

This is the first I've heard about the incompatibility of the batteries. I've experienced a few hiccups in the past using after market batteries in the 60D, but nothing catastrophic, just switch them, or put in 5D2 and they work, even mixed with Canon.

You may have a faulty grip as well, since the AA's didn't work.

It will all work out, but it my be annoying for a while. I've had it go both ways -- with both new and used. Mostly both new AND used are great! But sometimes they can both crap out.

scott bye
Total Posts: 33

Did anyone do a test @ iso 100 and pull up the shadows to see if there is banding like the 5D. I have the 5D and am still on the sidelines to purchase the 6D. I like the way my 5D takes pictures, but I notice I get vertical lines in grey and shadow areas when I adjust by 1.5 stop in ACR. I didn't have this problem on a previous 5D that I sold, which is weird. I did notice it is not as bad as the 5DII.

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4433

I've been absolutely loving my 6D over the past few weeks.
I'm still primarily using the pancake, although I picked up a cheap beater 75-300 USM III from KEH ($85). The lens is terrible, but for the price it gives me a very low price telephoto.
I cannot decide my next lens purchase.... I know I want the 35/2 IS, but I'd like to wait for the price to drop. I think I would enjoy the 24-105 for most of my casual shooting, but for about the same price I might get more use out of the 17-40.
Trying to decide if I want to stick to a really nice prime, or a very flexible zoom....

danb121

I can't wait to test out my 6D tonight although it's only going to be 50mm f/1.8 indoor stuff…

I've also got a sigma 12-24 mkii coming, maybe a slightly risky purchase… but I'm still looking forward to testing that combo

Ralph Conway

I can´t wait you test your new 6D tonight and share your feelings (and pics of course)!

danb121

Had a very quick play with it last night... I don't have any amazing pictures to show but noise wise it looks way better than my 550D, ISO1600 looked clean.

The camera is nice and light, and compared to a ***D the build feels nice and solid; also for me (small hands) I prefer the balance and size over the 7D which I've used a few times in the past.

I also had a quick play with the iPhone and wifi control, I found this to be a little clunky, changing ISO and aperture didn't seem as responsive as it should but I'll give that a proper go when I get more time.

I only had the 50 f/1.8 mki attached which isn't the quickest lens out there so it's hard to judge the focus speed of the 6D... the sigma 12-24 mkii arrived today too so hopefully more testing over the coming days.

e.aland
Total Posts: 180

Ralph Conway wrote:
Congratulations and much pleasure and success with it.

thanks, pleasure is there !
I got the 6D this week and this camera excites me like my very first SLR.
It feels even more handy like a 30D (incredible). It is almost ALWAYS with me now, wherever I go. city-walkaround pics in the evening with the 2470 II are GREAT and so sharp. never had a better walkaround combo in my hands...
the high-iso-quality is trumping the 5D2 (which I own and sold). What i wanted to see first is how reliable AF is working on the 24L and 50L. And ture, this 11-point-AF system seem to work surprisingly responsive and accurate in low light and at wide aptertures.

Seriously thinking of the 35 f2 IS now…

hugodrax
Total Posts: 894

Have you tried the silent mode? It makes the 6D quieter than a Leica M6

I find it amazingly quiet with a subdued sound. Amazing that now you can get a DSLR with a quieter action than an M6 body.

hugodrax

danb121 wrote:
Ralph Conway wrote:

My 6D has just arrived

First impressions are that it's a perfect size and it does feel great in my hand, it's light too. I can't wait to get it home and put a lens on it... happy days!!!

Yeah its amazing how light and small. I can balance the 6D with the 24mm 2.8 IS lens resting on my two fingers. And with the slient shooting single shot mode makes it a nice discreet PJ package.

The cool thing I never had that feature before, is what I call Gonzo mode where I can fix the Aperture to 5.6 and speed 1/60 fixed both sides and let the camera manage exposure via automatic ISO.

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4433

hugodrax wrote:

I find it amazingly quiet with a subdued sound. Amazing that now you can get a DSLR with a quieter action than an M6 body.

I'm honestly wondering if I'm "doing" quiet mode right.... as it just doesn't seem as quiet as I think it should be haha. It is quiet, but i seem to recall the Elan 7 being rediculously quiet, thanks to "whisperdrive".

hugodrax

ISO1600 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I'm honestly wondering if I'm "doing" quiet mode right.... as it just doesn't seem as quiet as I think it should be haha. It is quiet, but i seem to recall the Elan 7 being rediculously quiet, thanks to "whisperdrive".

Do you see the little S on the single shot mode. It is quieter than a Leica M6 so that puts the camera on a new level when shooting with Single shot S mode.

Leica M6 has a click sound more mid to higher frequency, while the Silent mode on the 6D is more of a subdued swoosh type sound lower frequency. Much nicer.

Luta13
Total Posts: 224

6D goes Alt

Rokkor-EOS Test by Luta13, on Flickr

Ralph Conway

:-) Where is your Test result? Is the Viefinder good with manual focus?

Ralph

Luta13
Total Posts: 224

I only had a chance for a few quick snapshots when I recieved them yesterday afternoon. I posted a few in Alt Forum:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181358

Viewfinder is good. I switched out the focus screen though. It does darken up quite a bit after about f5.6 so inside shots or darker environments could get tricky.

1       2       3              29      
       31              35       36       end