6D - hands on & first experience
/forum/topic/1150348/28

1       2       3              28      
       30              34       35       end

BrianO
Total Posts: 8454

Okay, okay...I'll never use a Brothers Grimm analogy again if it's going to degenerate into a...well...degenerate about covers it.

mikegrados
Total Posts: 165

nalax wrote:
My main gripe so far is batteries. I don't know why Canon made changes in the LP-E6 and charger. I have an older Canon LP-E6 that won't charge in the new charger and it doesn't communicate with the 6d nor do generics. Samy's did give me an extra LP-E6 so that helps.

This is the first I've heard of this, and may explain why the extra LP-E6 I got when I ordered my 6D wouldn't charge. According to the date on the battery, it was about a year old. The LP-E6 that came with my 6D charges and works fine. I RMA'd the extra...hopefully I get a newer one that works.

Is there any more info out there about this? Any way to tell if I'm getting one that works with the new charger? Thanks in advance.

Mike

michael49
Total Posts: 5364

One thing I'm really loving about the 6D is that Canon finallllllllllly allowed for a minimum SS with auto ISO - makes a big difference in usability.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3757

mikegrados wrote:
nalax wrote:
My main gripe so far is batteries. I don't know why Canon made changes in the LP-E6 and charger. I have an older Canon LP-E6 that won't charge in the new charger and it doesn't communicate with the 6d nor do generics. Samy's did give me an extra LP-E6 so that helps.

This is the first I've heard of this, and may explain why the extra LP-E6 I got when I ordered my 6D wouldn't charge. According to the date on the battery, it was about a year old. The LP-E6 that came with my 6D charges and works fine. I RMA'd the extra...hopefully I get a newer one that works.

Is there any more info out there about this? Any way to tell if I'm getting one that works with the new charger? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Okay, snowwhite to the side. First time I read/heard this, too.
I can not use my older LP-E6s? Does the battery delivered with the camera work with the older bodies?

Ralph

michael49

I'm no sports shooter, but I'm more than happy with the AF performance of the 6d thus far, seems better than my old 5d or 5d2.

This was taken today with the 6d, Sigma 50 1.4 (and mine has somewhat unreliable focus motor) - f/2 with my wife skiing away from me, back-lit lighting (and focusing on her white jacket against a white snow background!) - I took a bunch of these type of shots and most were in focus. For what I shoot, this is good enough for me....

Ralph Conway

Thank you michael49. Did you use center AF point and recompose or the down outer point?

Ralph

michael49

Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you michael49. Did you use center AF point and recompose or the down outer point?

Ralph

Center - old habits die hard!!

mikegrados

Got the BG-E13 today, I excitedly followed the instructions to install, put in a fully charged BG-E6, and...nothing.

Camera will not turn on with a battery in the grip. It is fully charged and works fine in the camera without the grip.

Any ideas?

I'm about at my wits end here, after having to RMA a BG-E6 already w/ B&H due to it not charging. Looks like I'm going to have to do this again with the grip...ARRRRGGGH! I'm trying to run a business here!!!!

XsigmaSD
Total Posts: 485

mikegrados wrote:
Got the BG-E13 today, I excitedly followed the instructions to install, put in a fully charged BG-E6, and...nothing.

Camera will not turn on with a battery in the grip. It is fully charged and works fine in the camera without the grip.

Any ideas?

I'm about at my wits end here, after having to RMA a BG-E6 already w/ B&H due to it not charging. Looks like I'm going to have to do this again with the grip...ARRRRGGGH! I'm trying to run a business here!!!!

At least one battery grip I've had, you had to put the battery in the correct slot if you are only using one.

BrianO

mikegrados wrote: ...Camera will not turn on with a battery in the grip. It is fully charged and works fine in the camera without the grip. Any ideas?

I'd try with six AA cells in the grip to see if that works. If so, it's the battery; if not, it's the grip.

mikegrados

XsigmaSD wrote:
mikegrados wrote:

Any ideas?

At least one battery grip I've had, you had to put the battery in the correct slot if you are only using one.

Tried both slots. Nada.

Tried 6 brand new AAs, nada.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6079

Mike -- You might need two batteries. Probably should have two or four on hand for bigger gigs.

These grips can be strange -- I get that sometimes with my aftermarket 60D grip -- have to play around switching, rotating, until the camera wants to recognize one or more. I've never tried using just one in the grip, always two. I think my 5D2 Canon grip might act up a bit with after market batteries. But it always ends up working fine.

Try what Brian said, load up some AA's in the magazine.
I'm sure it's just finding the right combination. Good luck.

mikegrados

Gunzorro wrote:
Mike -- You might need two batteries. Probably should have two or four on hand for bigger gigs.

These grips can be strange -- I get that sometimes with my aftermarket 60D grip -- have to play around switching, rotating, until the camera wants to recognize one or more. I've never tried using just one in the grip, always two. I think my 5D2 Canon grip might act up a bit with after market batteries. But it always ends up working fine.

Try what Brian said, load up some AA's in the magazine.
I'm sure it's just finding the right combination. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, although the manual specifically states that one or two may be used, and in either slot if one is used. I tried the AA batteries, and that didn't work either. My second LP-E6 battery is currently at B&H getting RMA'd.

I was on hold with Canon customer support for 30mins until I gave up.

BrianO

mikegrados wrote: Tried both slots. Nada. Tried 6 brand new AAs, nada.

Sorry to hear that; sounds like you're having a run of bad luck. Sounds like another RMA is in order.

mikegrados

BrianO wrote:

Sorry to hear that; sounds like you're having a run of bad luck. Sounds like another RMA is in order.

Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on the RRS L-bracket already! I'm mulling just returning it, and getting my money back. It does improve the already excellent feel in my hand, though.

Isn't there a B&H rep that frequents these forums? I'd like to know whats up with 2 out of 3 of my recent purchases being DOA.

XsigmaSD
Total Posts: 485

mikegrados wrote:
BrianO wrote:

Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on the RRS L-bracket already! I'm mulling just returning it, and getting my money back. It does improve the already excellent feel in my hand, though.

Isn't there a B&H rep that frequents these forums? I'd like to know whats up with 2 out of 3 of my recent purchases being DOA.

I'm just glad you are flushing all of the bum gear out, saving the rest of us the hassle! Thanks!

mikegrados

XsigmaSD wrote:
mikegrados wrote:
BrianO wrote:

I'm just glad you are flushing all of the bum gear out, saving the rest of us the hassle! Thanks!

Ha, yeah...sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a bit.

As far as the battery (LP-E6) is concerned, the only difference between the working one and the one that won't charge is the date of manufacture. The operational one is a 2012, and the non-working is from 2011. Hopefully I get a newer one with my RMA.

This is also the first time I've invested in brand new gear, going against years of me preaching never do that!

Ralph Conway

Thank you for the information, Mike.

So as far I understood, older batteries do not work in 6D, the new charger does not charge them, too. And your new grip is not working anyway?

Ralph

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3210

My old genuine canon battery works fine, my old knockoff works but I get a warning message. Havnt tried the 6d charger.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

mikegrados wrote:
BrianO wrote:

PM henryp.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

1       2       3              28      
       30              34       35       end