6D - hands on & first experience
/forum/topic/1150348/26

1       2       3              26      
       28              35       36       end

pixelpix
Total Posts: 376

I must admit that I have gone for the plus button a couple of times when zooming, but that is just muscle memory and it will soon fade. The mag button/control dial method is easy enough and it does give me a picture on screen reminding me of what to do.

With the AF point selection, if you find using the control dials a pain, simply press the AF point select button and then used the 4 way control (the ring around the Set button) as a joystick. I find that the easiest way, as these controls are easy access for my thumb and there is no need for me to remove the cam from my eye.

The Q Menu screen makes AF point selection pretty easy too if you want to select via the LCD. I just wish they had included the 650D's touch screen though, as I find the Q menu / touch screen combo brilliant to use.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3876

Share your experience and test images with us please, "onegreatcity".

A happy new year, luck, success, health and new expeiences to everybody here at FM.

Ralph

ggOk
Total Posts: 687

I'm sold... going to post up my 7D to replace it with 6D for wifey... she only uses jpg and wifi would be a plus for sure.

/r
Andy

Ralph Conway

wifi for the wifey!
Tell us how long it needs, till you have to purchase a second one because your wife does not like you are using her gear all the time

Ralph Conway

Hell. Have been in Town yesterday and my dealer had two 6Ds in the shelf for demonstration. I had it in my hands again and it felt/performed very, very good!
Next to me my girl found it great, too ("Feels much better than your 5D II in my hands!").

And last not least, he offered it at 103 Euro less the german mspr, what is already 102 Euro below Amazon germany, who can NOT deliver.

Next week I will check how to finance the purchase. Its time for a new horse in the stable, I guess.

Ralph

Hask2
Total Posts: 29

Not gonna wait for a Mediamarkt-don't-pay-tax action, Ralph?

py2000
Total Posts: 116

onegreatcity wrote:
Ralph,
I've been following this thread at a distance for some time. I can honestly say I had no interest in the 6D when it was announced but my resistance is beginning to fail. Having moved from a 40D to a 7D, then to the 1dIII, each felt a bit bigger in the hand and I was happy with the ergonomics of the increasingly larger bodies. Now that images are emerging along with first hand user testimonials, I decided to head to my local shop and see the 6D for myself.

First impression: I wish it was a wee bit bigger but I did like the fit and finish (quite grippy). Button layout and menus were all foreign of course but surely a person could get used to it. Long story short, I liked it enough to arrange a return trip in the new year. I will take one or two of my own lenses and a memory card so I can return home with images to assess.

If I could manage to keep my 1dIII I would, but at this time I must remain a one body guy . I'll weigh in again once I've spent more time playing but in the meantime, thank you for starting this thread and happy new year (to all)!
-Cam

1d3 and 6d are different cameras. Would you miss the fps? You need both.

Shutterbug2006
Total Posts: 1078

Ralph Conway wrote:

Next to me my girl found it great, too ("Feels much better than your 5D II in my hands!").

Ralph

She is talking about your camera, right?

Just kidding. Buy it Ralph!! You know you want to.

py2000
Total Posts: 116

RobDickinson wrote:
I'm struggling to get used to the zoom in ergonomics, af point selection is a bit of a pain too. Otherwise its nice to use.

Going from 7D to 6D, it did take me a bit time to get used to the button layouts, but I'm now okay with the AF point selection. After all, there are not many AF points to select from anyway.

Mashuto
Total Posts: 87

Well I just got mine delivered today. I had tried it out at a store over the weekend and it felt great so I decided it was time to make the jump to full frame. I picked up the 6D along with the 24-105 and 17-40 and I am very excited to really get out there and start shooting.

As others have said, I also really like the way this camera feels in my hand. I have been shooting a 60D which was a huge upgrade ergonomically over my old Rebel XT. I am actually surprised that even though the 60D and 6D are very similar in size and weight, the 6D just feels more solid and better in my hand. The difference is somewhat subtle, but quite noticable.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3504

Just a warning, with gps switched on make sure you have a backup battery!

Mashuto
Total Posts: 87

Heh thanks Rob, I noticed that as soon as I turned the camera off, the GPS decided not to turn off. Although I am quite happy to have built in GPS its going to have to go into my favorites menu so I can turn it on and off quickly and easily.

hugodrax
Total Posts: 894

I will be getting my 6D and a 24mm 2.8 IS lens tuesday. Will definitely report on this combo.

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3533

We've seen and heard a lot about shooting stills, has anyone tried video mode yet? I've read a few reviews and seen one video that demonstrated a good bit of morie and was wondering what FMers have found so far...

Ralph Conway

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Ralph Conway wrote:

Ralph

She is talking about your camera, right?

Just kidding. Buy it Ralph!! You know you want to.

Yes
She is supporting me in whatever (till now) I did. There is no my/yours in our relationship. She can use my cameras whenever she likes it as far I do not hold it in my hands. Cameras are tools to me. Tools are made to be used. She looks great, when holding a camera. So many of her pics do, too. If we want to use it to often parralel, we have to think about a second body, I guess.

Ralph Conway

Mashuto wrote:
Heh thanks Rob, I noticed that as soon as I turned the camera off, the GPS decided not to turn off. Although I am quite happy to have built in GPS its going to have to go into my favorites menu so I can turn it on and off quickly and easily.

This is true? If, it should be fixed by firmware asap. A switched of camera does not need to run GPS imo.

ciprian.trofin
Total Posts: 374

Ralph Conway wrote:
Mashuto wrote:

This is true? If, it should be fixed by firmware asap. A switched of camera does not need to run GPS imo.

It is true and it is by design. Check page 42 in EOS 6D WiFi and GPS Instruction Manual.

I found this behavior to be OK, since it is about GPS Logging. IMHO GPS logging is about documenting you route, and should be on - if enabled - no matter the status of camera. I agree it depletes the battery, but if the user forgets it on, it's rather his problem

Ralph Conway

If I switch my navigation system off, it will not check the GPS status. What is the meaning of such a "feature"?

ciprian.trofin
Total Posts: 374

To quote from the manual:
Using the GPS logging function, the location information of the route the camera traveled can be automatically recorded on the camera’s internal memory.

There you have the meaning . If GPS goes off each time the camera powers off or sleeps, it would work against the documented purpose.

I agree, it may not suit you but you can always leave GPS off. Or you can develop the habbit of disabling GPS when you don't need it.

Ralph Conway

ciprian.trofin wrote:
To quote from the manual:
Using the GPS logging function, the location information of the route the camera traveled can be automatically recorded on the camera’s internal memory.

There you have the meaning . If GPS goes off each time the camera powers off or sleeps, it would work against the documented purpose.

I agree, it may not suit you but you can always leave GPS off. Or you can develop the habbit of disabling GPS when you don't need it.

Okay, that sounds like a cause. I guess I would not use GPS intensive (if). So it is easy not to switch it on.

1       2       3              26      
       28              35       36       end