6D - hands on & first experience
/forum/topic/1150348/13

1       2       3              13      
       15              35       36       end

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3828

My dealer still mentiones "decembre". While Amazon germany keeps its realease date for 1st of january 2013.

Looking through the manual iritated me a bit. It is first time I read there might be 2 Versions of 6D. One with wifi and gps (WG), the other without (N). I did not hear/read this mentioned anywhere before.

Ralph

MayaTlab
Total Posts: 51

I'm thinking about the 6D as a second body to complement my 5D III, and I've got a question regarding AF points selection with the pad (or joystick on 5DII).

I'd like to be able to quickly change from auto AF points selection and manual AF point selection. On the 5D III, it's possible to configure the preview button to switch between the two in a jiffy. It's extremely convenient.
I've read that it's possible, on the 5D II, to do so by pushing the joystick after pressing the AF selection button at the back. Does this still work when the joystick is configured as direct selection (no need to press the AF selection button at the back to change AF points) ?
On the 6D, apparently, according to the manual, the SET button does this after pressing the AF selection button at the back. But will it also work when the pad is configured as direct selection ? Wouldn't it interfere if the SET button is also configured as, for example, the MENU button ?

pixelpix
Total Posts: 376

Canon Australia are advertising it here as "in store Nov 30".... so not long now.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6387

Ralph -- Why does two models irritate you -- wouldn't you just buy the model you want? I am kind of surprised to hear they might have two models.

Looking forward to reading what you think once you get one!

snapsy
Total Posts: 4396

Digitalrev has the camera shipping in 4-6 days:
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-6d-body/MTAwMTQ2MQ_A_A

ciprian.trofin
Total Posts: 371

According the manual, the AF microadjustments work the same as 5D3 - the user can set both the wide end and the telephoto end.

The 1/180 x-sync flash speed puzzles me. 1/180 is an 1/2 stop. I don't know any better, but I don't think this setting is common.

Ralph Conway

Gunzorro wrote:
Ralph -- Why does two models irritate you -- wouldn't you just buy the model you want? I am kind of surprised to hear they might have two models.

It is fine for me too, Gunzorro - as far the 1999 Euro body is the WG. ;-)
Maybe my english is not good enough to explain my thoughts. My "irritation" means nothing else than your "beeing surprised" I guess. Via the manuals it was first time I heard therer are two camera versions.

Ralph

ciprian.trofin

Let's hope the 1999 $/ price is the full featured camera.

And considering the price for Canon's GPS and WiFi adapters, I hope the "naked" camera will be 500 $/ cheaper.

Of course, it can be the other way around :-)

BrianO
Total Posts: 8526

ciprian.trofin wrote: ...The 1/180 x-sync flash speed puzzles me. 1/180 is an 1/2 stop. I don't know any better, but I don't think this setting is common.

They were probably hoping for 1/200, the same as the 5D, but testing showed that the chosen shutter couldn't sync at that speed. That's the price we pay for a lower-cost "full-frame" camera, I guess. Since I grew up with 1/60 and, later, 1/125 sync limits, it's no real issue for me; I'm used to working at those speeds. If I need higher, there's always High Speed Sync with Speedlites.

weezintrumpete
Total Posts: 2274

I think I've finally decided to get a 6D as an upgrade to my 5Dc. Looks (so far) to be a great camera.

Now the question is...where do I pre-order from? I want the best chance of getting it on launch

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6387

Ralph Conway wrote:
Gunzorro wrote:

It is fine for me too, Gunzorro - as far the 1999 Euro body is the WG. ;-)
Maybe my english is not good enough to explain my thoughts. My "irritation" means nothing else than your "beeing surprised" I guess. Via the manuals it was first time I heard therer are two camera versions.

Ralph

Ah!! Yes, the translation didn't come through on that. Got it now! Thanks.

Ralph Conway

weezintrumpete wrote:
I think I've finally decided to get a 6D as an upgrade to my 5Dc. Looks (so far) to be a great camera.

Now the question is...where do I pre-order from? I want the best chance of getting it on launch

Ralph Conway

Concerning "WG" and "N". In a german forum I just read an info (maybe suggestion) that there is no splitting in two cameras, but there might be a body without WG for countries where a gps use is not allowed ().

Hawkan
Total Posts: 175

I'd wager it's probably because of wifi restrictions rather than the gps considering there are different channels allowed for different markets.

Ralph Conway

Or this way. I did not know that there are countries who do not allow wifi that is allowed in germany.

devaulrg
Total Posts: 187

well without looking too deep into it, I type in "GPS is not allowed in" into google and it gives me the options of Cuba and Syria. I gave Cuba a try and I do see pages mentiong that bringing GPS equipment into Cuba isn't allowed. The GPS might be the issue.

ciprian.trofin

I don't think Cuba and Syria are so important for Canon to split a product line..

Ralph Conway

Maybe they will offer both everywhere at a 25% lower price for the "N" version.
This could explaine why D600s price was cut down immediatelly after the 6D announcement with its release and why it is still falling. Maybe Nikon had that information.

R.

devaulrg
Total Posts: 187

It was just an example that such restrictions exist.

pixelpix
Total Posts: 376

DigitalRev now has the 6D in stock..... If you are interested, do Fred a fave and follow the DigRev link or banner from this site. (I am sure I have seen one here... somewhere?)

EDIT: Yes the banner comes up here in this thread.... you just gotta refresh enough times.

1       2       3              13      
       15              35       36       end