6D - hands on & first experience
/forum/topic/1150348/12

1       2       3              12      
       14              35       36       end

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3833

I guess there is noone sitting at Canon mentioning: "What else could we do to drive our customers grazy? Ah! Lets put in some SD-cards instead of CF!"

I prefere the idea they did it for size to get a smaller body design.

SD is well established. Even I do not like the size (my fingers may be to clumpsy) and the much more expensive CF cards are faster, I guess they will work fine.

The change I am not happy about is from joystick to this new (old - already been in 60D) multi-in-wheel-thing.

eosfun
Total Posts: 2120

I prefere the idea they did it for size to get a smaller body design

Effects on body size are minor. SD has less vulnerable contacts, it is an interface standard supported by much more devices than CF. Also, an SD connector is cheaper to build in the camera in the first place, I am sure that was more important to Canon engineers than any other consideration.

Have EOSfun

ukkisavosta
Total Posts: 417

Migrating to SD cards is not such a big revolution as many make it out to be. Au contraire: SD cards are smaller and almost every laptop has a card reader. Also, there is nothing special about CF cards, and a CF slot does not make the body any more professional. Like eosfun points out, SD card slots don't have any pins that can bend or break, and you can be very sloppy and carefree when you insert/remove the card. Furthermore, the card won't pop out on the floor like a CF will, if you happen to press the release button too hard. What's not to like about SD?

As for the 60D style multi-selector, that is indeed a bit of a let-down. You get used to it, but it is not right next to your thumb like the joystick on the 5D2. I use the separate button and front wheel to select the AF point myself, because it is faster and less fiddly that way. The multi-selector is not really useful during shooting, it's basically there for browsing images and using the menu.

Jaakko

nalax
Total Posts: 60

Ralph Conway wrote:
I guess there is noone sitting at Canon mentioning: "What else could we do to drive our customers grazy? Ah! Lets put in some SD-cards instead of CF!"

I prefere the idea they did it for size to get a smaller body design.

SD is well established. Even I do not like the size (my fingers may be to clumpsy) and the much more expensive CF cards are faster, I guess they will work fine.

The change I am not happy about is from joystick to this new (old - already been in 60D) multi-in-wheel-thing.

I'm hoping that the 6d multi-wheel functions better than the one in the 60d. I found that the 60d wheel to slower and somewhat fumbly compared to the joy stick. But I'll be able to live with it along with the SD cards.

I'm looking forward to the slightly smaller body and hopefully improved higher ISO which will be the ticket for shooting day long events.

ciprian.trofin
Total Posts: 373

The AF system in 6D has just a few points, users will mostly use the center. The joystick use would be rather limited. It makes sense for AF point selection in 7D/5D3/1D but not really for anything else.

Ralph Conway

ciprian.trofin wrote:
The AF system in 6D has just a few points, users will mostly use the center. The joystick use would be rather limited. It makes sense for AF point selection in 7D/5D3/1D but not really for anything else.

I use it permanetly on my 5D II for srolling through a zoomed in image.

ukkisavosta
Total Posts: 417

ciprian.trofin wrote:

That depends. I regularly use the outer focus points on my 60D. Although I do agree that scrolling through the 9 focus points is pretty quick without a joystick as well.

Jaakko

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3408

A refurbished 5D2 for $1320 direct from canon...damn them

Ralph Conway

5D II is still a wonderful camera body, Jerry.

devaulrg
Total Posts: 187

Don't think this has been posted yet...

Some more samples: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/galleries/sample-images/canon/34718/2/canon-eos-6d-beta-image-sample-gallery.html

senzazn12
Total Posts: 317

This might turn out to be a good DSLR. Nice to know the outer AF points work better than 5D II.

BrianO
Total Posts: 8547

devaulrg wrote: ...Some more samples: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/galleries/sample-images/canon/34718/2/canon-eos-6d-beta-image-sample-gallery.html

That shot of the book lit by the "kerosene-lantern" lamp reminds me of an available-light shot I did some years back using Kodak Ektar 1000...only this one looks even better. Amazingly low noise for 12,800 ISO.

I had to use a tripod and really slow shutter; this one is done at 1/200! (It could also have been done at 1/100 and f/8 for even more DoF to get the book more in focus, which wouod have been my choice.)

I'm putting this camera on my short list for sure.

thw2
Total Posts: 2855

devaulrg wrote:
Some more samples: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/galleries/sample-images/canon/34718/2/canon-eos-6d-beta-image-sample-gallery.html

Definitely some heavy NR here. But it's still impressive, especially when compared against 5D3 here

Shutterbug2006
Total Posts: 1024

thw2 wrote:
devaulrg wrote:

Definitely some heavy NR here. But it's still impressive, especially when compared against 5D3 here

Woah!

MayaTlab
Total Posts: 52

If jpeg pictures are any indication, the 6D's performance at high ISO seems to be closer to the 1D X than the 5D III. Let's see if it's also quite good at low ISOs.

pixelpix
Total Posts: 376

Digital Rev just posted their prices in their online store.... $2300 Australian Body Only and $3200 Australian for the 24-105 Kit. Let's hope those intro prices don't stick around for long.

Ralph Conway

The amazon preorder price here in germany went already down about 18 . In fact that does not meen much, because at first it was priced about 17 over the given MSPR.

By the way: This picture set is the first convincing me in terms of sharpness, too. Thank you for this link, devaulrg.

Ralph

Ralph Conway

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
thw2 wrote:
devaulrg wrote:

Woah!

You name it!

Ralph Conway

Manuals are published now. Thank you "thw2":

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1168947/0#11145244

Erizza
Total Posts: 22

Didnt see this mentioned on here but it looks like the release date at least in the US is firming up.

Preorderd at Best Buy with a ship date of December 9th.

B&H and Adorama both now show 12/10 as the release date also.

1       2       3              12      
       14              35       36       end