Canon autumn photography
/forum/topic/1149712/28

1       2       3              28      
       30              59       60       end

PetKal
Total Posts: 24075

Db, that's a very good start , particularly with an 800mm combo which, BTW, I would use, as well as 800L, for BIF only if I am truly desperate.

(As a side note, the longest combo I'd use for planned BIF would be 700mm (i.e. 500 f/4 + 1.4xTC MkIII). Naturally, 600 II (bare) and 400 II + 1.4xTC are also very good BIF tools.)

eskimochaos
Total Posts: 851

Fall colors are starting to emerge.

Fall in front of Willis by wfarrell4, on Flickr

The temperatures are definitely here! Excuse the horrid midday light.

eskimochaos
Total Posts: 851

Well Balanced by wfarrell4, on Flickr

Doctorbird
Total Posts: 649

PetKal wrote:
Db, that's a very good start , particularly with an 800mm combo which, BTW, I would use, as well as 800L, for BIF only if I am truly desperate.

(As a side note, the longest combo I'd use for planned BIF would be 700mm (i.e. 500 f/4 + 1.4xTC MkIII). Naturally, 600 II (bare) and 400 II + 1.4xTC are also very good BIF tools.)

Appreciate your comments Peter. Please elaborate however - why is 800mm taboo for BIF?

I had the 2X rigged because the birds I initially intended to photograph were perched a good 200 - 300 ft away and to get physically closer would require a disallowed floating craft of some sort. There were however an unexpected but welcomed amount of fly-bys, many a bit closer than the perchers. So they got photographed with the 2X combo.

I though the AF system worked quite well, at least as good as my previous 7D/400 f/5.6 setup (although not a fair judge considering the disparity in cost and weight!). That is, both with regards to AF speed and accuracy.

Here are a few more from that day.

Db

skibum5
Total Posts: 16006

5D3+70-300L,70mm,f/6.3,1/80th,ISO400:

5D3+24-70 II,33mm,f/7.1,1/60th,ISO400:

Doctorbird

Hi Skibum5,

You are tempting me to want to go back to NJ. Just moved away late last year. But I will try my very best to resist the temptation. Nice colors. I am always puzzled why folks in NJ feel the need to go further north to see beautiful fall colors.

Db

skibum5

Doctorbird wrote:
Hi Skibum5,

You are tempting me to want to go back to NJ. Just moved away late last year. But I will try my very best to resist the temptation. Nice colors. I am always puzzled why folks in NJ feel the need to go further north to see beautiful fall colors.

Db

The one just above was actually VT. hahaha

NJ can be awesome though, 2010 we had an amazing fall, one of the best I've ever seen in Morris County, and they are almost always at least very good. Here are a few quick NJ snaps from 2009, website is in chaos at he moment but:
first shot here is my backyard (see a tree DOES grow in NJ and it's not all turnpike and oil refineries!):

this next one is also my backyard:

I thought last year was worst ever though for NJ. Essentially no fall colors at all in my area, unprecedented, and even a bit farther out, like say in Bear Mtn/Harriman were duller than normal. Sadly this year looks like it might be second weakest colors I've ever seen in NJ (although much better than last year I expect, all the same).

the northern part of VT was just popping like mad this year
and they have lots of amazing mtns and terrain, colors really were madness up there

skibum5

Doctorbird wrote:
Hi Skibum5,

Db

I may end up in LA myself for a few years. I'll have to try to my absolute best, if so, to schedule a well timed week back in NJ for fall each year if I can. There really is nothing more glorious than a fall day in the Northeast.

skibum5

another from VT:

(believe it or not the above is actually muted color by light haze of fog)

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3209

SoCal lifer in complete envy, your east coast colors are insanely beautiful and intense; despite the haze
Amazing captures, compositions, well done all
Those fire red/magenta maples are fantastic!

supermario343
Total Posts: 988

long hot summer by mariosworld343, on Flickr

leftymgp
Total Posts: 249

One from my trip back home to Arkansas last weekend. 5Dc + 17-40L

Foggy Trees by Matt Peoples, on Flickr

Doctorbird

skibum5 wrote:
Doctorbird wrote:
Hi Skibum5,

Db

The one just above was actually VT. hahaha

NJ can be awesome though, 2010 we had an amazing fall, one of the best I've ever seen in Morris County, and they are almost always at least very good. Here are a few quick NJ snaps from 2009, website is in chaos at he moment but:
first shot here is my backyard (see a tree DOES grow in NJ and it's not all turnpike and oil refineries!):

Well, you fooled me with the colors.

But they call NJ the "Garden State" for a reason. I was residing more towards Central NJ rather than Northern. Colors were probably better in the north.

Db

skibum5

StillFingerz wrote:
SoCal lifer in complete envy, your east coast colors are insanely beautiful and intense; despite the haze
Amazing captures, compositions, well done all
Those fire red/magenta maples are fantastic!

And these ones were taken in August, just wait until you see the ones taken in fall and without haze!

onegreatcity
Total Posts: 1273

And now for something completely different, at least for me. A friend with a band asked me to take some promotional stills and after some initial hesitation, I agreed. He's handling all of the post processing, preparing several shots in a variety of sizes and styles.

I typically don't hang around the People forum and these were shot on a lovely fall day so I thought it might be okay to share here. Besides, I think these actually qualify as BIF... (wait for it) band in focus.

Ahem...

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1404

I predict a new digression in the Autumn thread....

Taken a couple of days ago ( in autumn) with a 70-200 f/2.8 II;

BIF...("wait for it")...

Bulls In Field.

Jerry

John_T
Total Posts: 2842

...get some new glasses, Jerry!

That's a B&CIF

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1064

N/M

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1404

John_T wrote:
...get some new glasses, Jerry!

That's a B&CIF

Thanks, John...
From the body and head shape I thought (think) so too, but 100% zoom showed what I saw as a scrotum, sooo...

OK, but "BIF (singular), with a friend" just doesn't flow off the page as well...

Jerry

PetKal
Total Posts: 24075

Band in Focus, Bulls in Field....

I am really having a problem with 1DX.......too much "reach" even with a 500mm lens.
I might as well sell anything over 400mm FL if I continue to use 1DX.

Handheld 1DX + 500 f/4.

1       2       3              28      
       30              59       60       end