Canon autumn photography
/forum/topic/1149712/25

1       2       3              25      
       27              59       60       end

PetKal
Total Posts: 23866

Doctorbird wrote:
PetKal wrote:

Here's another portrait against yellow foliage blur.
Handheld 1DX + 600 II, ISO 3200.

Exquisite Peter. Could the 400 2.8 II + 1.4X III have done as well?

Db

Db, yes, my 400 II + 1.4xTC MkII can achieve similar IQ wide open.
Here is an example also shot with 1DX at f/5.6, similar minor cropping as in the previous duck portrait.

All of these lenses and combos are very capable as long as you stay at f/5.6. Once you get to f/8 combos, the performance deteriorates.

jpreston
Total Posts: 175

1DsMkII and 70-200mm 2.8L:

Marsh Pano 2 copy by prestonj55, on Flickr

Tree Farm Pano copy by prestonj55, on Flickr

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 2866

PetKal wrote:
Doctorbird wrote:
PetKal wrote:

Db

Here is an example also shot with 1DX at f/5.6, similar minor cropping as in the previous duck portrait.

All of these lenses and combos are very capable as long as you stay at f/5.6. Once you get to f/8 combos, the performance deteriorates.

Peter, really love the detail, crisp n clear, those new gears of yours seem to be responding quite well in the hands of a master...what a beautiful pijun and image

StillFingerz

jpreston wrote:
1DsMkII and 70-200mm 2.8L:

Marsh Pano 2 copy by prestonj55, on Flickr

Tree Farm Pano copy by prestonj55, on Flickr

Jeff, these panos are really great, checked them out up on flickr and the dof is outstanding, compositions spot on and the colors wonderful...it's mezmerizing to see landscapes that aren't mostly solid green like our SoCal palm tree land is dotted with

PetKal

StillFingerz wrote:
PetKal wrote:
Doctorbird wrote:
PetKal wrote:

Db

Peter, really love the detail, crisp n clear, those new gears of yours seem to be responding quite well in the hands of a master...what a beautiful pijun and image

Thank you kindly, Jerry, you are too kind.......perhaps I should ask Fred to change my FM ID name to "Petkalmaster" ?

Trust me, high grade gears combined with old man's luck can yield some good images here and there.

jpreston
Total Posts: 175

Thanks for the kind comments StillFingerz!

Jeff

PetKal

Wood pijun hen taken with handheld 1DX + 500 II + 1.4xTC MkIII, ISO 3200.

StillFingerz

Nice head shot Peter
One/two questions regarding DoF and super teles...I'm guessing you were shooting wide open with the 1.4x attached, ignoring AF, if you stopped down to 5.6 or 8, would it give you enough DoF to have your pijun's body as sharp as the head? And would increasing ISO be required given the light you were shooting in?

PetKal

Jerry, if I wanted to have the entire bird in focus, I would probably have to shoot at f/11 at least, which would bring me to ISO 12800 and a major deterioration of IQ even with 1DX.
In fact, with proximity shots of larger (moving) birds, it is extremely difficult to get enough DoF even in good light.

mttran
Total Posts: 6216

+1, hard to beat 1Dx AF and hi iso IQ. Great shot, Peter

PetKal

mttran wrote:

Michael, that has been the key 1DX improvement for me, even the 1DX AF has not made that much of an impact on my photography so far.

(1) Handheld 1DX + 500 II + 1.4xTC III, ISO 3200.

(2) Handheld 1DX + 500 II + 1.4xTC III, ISO 800.......sunlight sure makes a difference on colours.

sritri
Total Posts: 2811

What is he saying to you Peter ?

StillFingerz

Peter, beautiful plumage
That's some nice shootin, proud pijun with his chest fully extended, well anticipated, captured Sir!

PetKal

Shreeni, Jerry.....that was just a wind-up preceding a fast and powerful flap. This is a frame following the one above.

Those kind of fast action transients is one reason why I like to keep my shutter speed high even when shooting seemingly placid and slow drifiting on the pond....from a moment to another moment that can change into a furiously fast action, such as when a Bushwhacker ( aka Cooper's hawk) attacked the ducks yesterday. Although I didn't get any good shots out of that, and I really tried, at least I was ready with my gear settings for such possible developments.

(Same shot conditions as above)

mttran
Total Posts: 6216

PetKal wrote:
mttran wrote:

Michael, that has been the key 1DX improvement for me, even the 1DX AF has not made that much of an impact on my photography so far.

(1) Handheld 1DX + 500 II + 1.4xTC III, ISO 3200.

(2) Handheld 1DX + 500 II + 1.4xTC III, ISO 800.......sunlight sure makes a difference on colours.

yes, i can see his silky feather from my monitor. Thanks Peter

StillFingerz

That's fantastic Peter!
Your prose of forth coming action reminds me of my youth, board fully waxed, furious paddling before catching a wave perfectly. If early and/or late it was a lost opportunity, often the washing machine for ya; you missed the ride/tube but not the explosion of several thousand pounds of ocean in your face...mother nature's spin cycle. Knowing which way is up is the trick...you must "see the light" and shoot for it...we humans don't breath water to well

PetKal

StillFingerz wrote:
That's fantastic Peter!
Your prose of forth coming action reminds me of my youth, board fully waxed, furious paddling before catching a wave perfectly. If early and/or late it was a lost opportunity, often the washing machine for ya; you missed the ride/tube but not the explosion of several thousand pounds of ocean in your face...mother nature's spin cycle. Knowing which way is up is the trick...you must "see the light" and shoot for it...we humans don't breath water to well

I know exactly what you mean, Jerry. Those magnificent moments from our youth, when our bodies seemed invincible.

eskimochaos
Total Posts: 801

Aqua Glow by wfarrell4, on Flickr

StillFingerz

WoW Will

What a great cityscape, did you use your 24-70 for that...postcard/poster, mural material there...way cool!

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1551

I don't know if this really counts.
It is a heavy crop from handheld 200/1.8 and 5DMkII.
There, that should count for something, yes? *8^)

Anywho, it looks like this will be last flower of the year in our yard:

1       2       3              25      
       27              59       60       end