The new Canon 6D - Full frame, 20.2 MP
/forum/topic/1149560/3

1       2       3      
4
       5       end

martinezphoto
Registered: Aug 17, 2009
Total Posts: 874
Country: United States

Both the D600 and 6D are clearly NOT aimed at pros. These are both cameras designed to lure enthusiasts shooting on crop sensors cameras to move up to a full frame sensor (hence the use of SD as the storage medium). It also strikes me that these cameras would be perfect family shooting and vacation/travel photography rigs allowing pros to leave their pro gear for paying jobs.

What the emergence of these two cameras makes me wonder is what is the future of the high end crop sensor camera (7D and D300s successors)?

I definitely expect Uncle Bob to be sporting full frame newness come this spring.



DavidCZ
Registered: May 03, 2006
Total Posts: 1046
Country: United States

SloPhoto wrote:
DavidCZ wrote:
Ghost wrote:
I will be watching this in interest. If it is 11-pt AF based on FF sensor size then the spread should be better than the cropped d7k AF derived with the D600. Especially if it is all X-type and has similar AF flexibility as the 7d.

I just had a shoot yesterday afternoon. Shot with 50 1.4 Siggy. Mostly wide open @ISO100. Most of the photos per the exif were > 1/4000. The D600 would've been useless thanks to the crippled shutter speed. Something that I don't quite understand.

Will see. I might nab a cheap 1ds-something instead.


D600 has the option of ISO setting from 50 to ISO 25600 equivalent.

D700 has native ISO range 200-6400. I sometimes dial it down to L-1 which is equivalent ISO 50 in a sunny day.

D600's native ISO range is better than D700 in this case.


David, the L settings are really just the base iso with more clipped highlights. If you shoot raw (like I know you do) there is NO reason to ever use them.

D600/D800/D4 = ISO 100+
D700/D3 = ISO 200+


Joe, in a bright sunny day, f 1.4, ISO 200 and 8000 shutter speed could have the photo over-exposed. That's when I use L-0.3 or even L-1.



SloPhoto
Registered: Feb 18, 2008
Total Posts: 2702
Country: N/A

DavidCZ wrote:
SloPhoto wrote:
DavidCZ wrote:
Ghost wrote:
I will be watching this in interest. If it is 11-pt AF based on FF sensor size then the spread should be better than the cropped d7k AF derived with the D600. Especially if it is all X-type and has similar AF flexibility as the 7d.

I just had a shoot yesterday afternoon. Shot with 50 1.4 Siggy. Mostly wide open @ISO100. Most of the photos per the exif were > 1/4000. The D600 would've been useless thanks to the crippled shutter speed. Something that I don't quite understand.

Will see. I might nab a cheap 1ds-something instead.


D600 has the option of ISO setting from 50 to ISO 25600 equivalent.

D700 has native ISO range 200-6400. I sometimes dial it down to L-1 which is equivalent ISO 50 in a sunny day.

D600's native ISO range is better than D700 in this case.


David, the L settings are really just the base iso with more clipped highlights. If you shoot raw (like I know you do) there is NO reason to ever use them.

D600/D800/D4 = ISO 100+
D700/D3 = ISO 200+


Joe, in a bright sunny day, f 1.4, ISO 200 and 8000 shutter speed could have the photo over-exposed. That's when I use L-0.3 or even L-1.



The RAW files are identical with different meta data in them. The same number of bits are blown. If you hit overexposure at iso 200 (and by that I mean clipping), it is time to stop down or throw on an ND filter.

Not having iso 100 is one of my biggest gripes with the d700/D3. I want a camera that has a base iso of 50.



martinezphoto
Registered: Aug 17, 2009
Total Posts: 874
Country: United States

After looking at the sample images I will definitely be looking to pick up a D600 to be my family/vacation/travel/all around camera AND replace my current Canon video camera. (Although when it comes time to pull the trigger I may be tempted away by the siren song of the D800 we'll see what happens )

Anyone interested in a very gently used Canon Vixia HF S20?



tobicus
Registered: Jan 20, 2012
Total Posts: 1595
Country: United States

amonline wrote:
Well, that was also sort of my point, but I agree with the way you laid it out.


Yeah, I should have mentioned I agreed with you. We're on the same page.



D. Diggler
Registered: Dec 27, 2011
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

I wonder if there's any chance the 6D could beat out the 5D3 at high ISO due to the 6D's larger pixels. Seems to be what's happening with the D600 over the D800.



SloPhoto
Registered: Feb 18, 2008
Total Posts: 2702
Country: N/A

D. Diggler wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance the 6D could beat out the 5D3 at high ISO due to the 6D's larger pixels. Seems to be what's happening with the D600 over the D800.


My interpretation is that with the 36mp sensor, nikon simply said "sony, we like the aps-c 16mp sensor, make us a FF version"; While the 24mp sensor is sony designing a sensor the way they see fit, and with more flexibility to use newer processes.

The only real reason a modern higher MP camera will do worse is if the extra circuitry on the chip leads to a loss of light. I think we are getting to the point where that is a fairly minimal issue.



stevez32
Registered: Mar 26, 2003
Total Posts: 3046
Country: United States

The loss of the joystick is a real dealbreaker for me ever considering this one, I just am too used to changing focus with that joystick



Ziffl3
Registered: May 25, 2009
Total Posts: 4058
Country: United States

SloPhoto wrote:
D. Diggler wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance the 6D could beat out the 5D3 at high ISO due to the 6D's larger pixels. Seems to be what's happening with the D600 over the D800.


My interpretation is that with the 36mp sensor, nikon simply said "sony, we like the aps-c 16mp sensor, make us a FF version"; While the 24mp sensor is sony designing a sensor the way they see fit, and with more flexibility to use newer processes.

The only real reason a modern higher MP camera will do worse is if the extra circuitry on the chip leads to a loss of light. I think we are getting to the point where that is a fairly minimal issue.


not to derail the thread but more of an issue is cross talk signals on the CMOS and a little physics.



SloPhoto
Registered: Feb 18, 2008
Total Posts: 2702
Country: N/A

Ziffl3 wrote:
SloPhoto wrote:
D. Diggler wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance the 6D could beat out the 5D3 at high ISO due to the 6D's larger pixels. Seems to be what's happening with the D600 over the D800.


My interpretation is that with the 36mp sensor, nikon simply said "sony, we like the aps-c 16mp sensor, make us a FF version"; While the 24mp sensor is sony designing a sensor the way they see fit, and with more flexibility to use newer processes.

The only real reason a modern higher MP camera will do worse is if the extra circuitry on the chip leads to a loss of light. I think we are getting to the point where that is a fairly minimal issue.


not to derail the thread but more of an issue is cross talk signals on the CMOS and a little physics.

I should stick to software
My wife would likely slap me for my error (she is EE), haha



cordellwillis
Registered: Aug 24, 2004
Total Posts: 5080
Country: United States

stevez32 wrote:
The loss of the joystick is a real dealbreaker for me ever considering this one, I just am too used to changing focus with that joystick


Same here. I believe I can use any camera, but without the joystick it's a no go no matter what the specs are.



anthonyket
Registered: Dec 15, 2008
Total Posts: 611
Country: Australia

So anyone shot with one for a wedding yet?



Sodonn
Registered: Jan 04, 2012
Total Posts: 202
Country: United States

To add to the discussion.....BorrowLenses is testing the 6D...apparently they first thought it was under exposing by 2 stops as they were testing against the D600. Upon further testing...seems like the D600 is the one that is over exposing by 2 stops. Testing still ongoing...

http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/



D. Diggler
Registered: Dec 27, 2011
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

anthonyket wrote:

So anyone shot with one for a wedding yet?


Just read that it beats 5D3 (in head-to-head comparison) at center-point low-light focus lock speed. Woohoo!



WNStudio
Registered: Oct 15, 2009
Total Posts: 1153
Country: Poland

New canon pricing strategy- give less, charge more. The same as with lenses. Now we have a choice beetwen 6d and 5dmkIII. What a pro would choose- of cource 5dmkIII wchich is 1/3 more expensive that mkII (no longer in lineup).



D. Diggler
Registered: Dec 27, 2011
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

Just heard from a user that the outer focus points of the 6D are "definately better than 5D2". Woohoo!



D. Diggler
Registered: Dec 27, 2011
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

Just heard that 6D sensor has been found to be "at least as sharp" as 5D2 sensor. Woohoo!



DigMeTX
Registered: Nov 26, 2010
Total Posts: 1551
Country: United States

Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com reported in a quick center point af test that it is about as accurate as the 5DII but not as accurate as the 5DIII.

brad



D. Diggler
Registered: Dec 27, 2011
Total Posts: 5850
Country: United States

DigMeTX wrote:
Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com reported in a quick center point af test that it is about as accurate as the 5DII but not as accurate as the 5DIII.


That test was done in brighter light, wasn't it? Didn't he say something along the lines that the results he got may not apply to low light?



anthonyket
Registered: Dec 15, 2008
Total Posts: 611
Country: Australia

D. Diggler wrote:
DigMeTX wrote:
Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com reported in a quick center point af test that it is about as accurate as the 5DII but not as accurate as the 5DIII.


That test was done in brighter light, wasn't it? Didn't he say something along the lines that the results he got may not apply to low light?

I take it you now have one?



1       2       3      
4
       5       end