20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!
/forum/topic/1149531/4

1       2       3       4      
       6              20       21       end

Breitling65
Total Posts: 5240

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm underwhelmed but not surprised at all by the specs, what Canon giveth with one hand they taketh with the other. I'm just thankful they even released the 5D III with such a good AF system.

Agreed, typical Canon tactics. They would NEVER release something new close to 5D3 in specs, they need to sell it.
But what they should do is to price this toy specs camera <= $1300.

alfarmer
Total Posts: 2055

The thing I hated most about the 60D (aside from the super-cheap hollow plastic feel) was the button layout. Now that's been made available in a FF body. Yay.

umihoshijima
Total Posts: 197

Fred Miranda wrote:

Even though it is similar to the Canon D60 in size, it will not have a built-in flash nor articulated LCD.

Trying to remember the last time I saw a D60, especially one with an articulated LCD

In all seriousness, with every new sensor I tend to really hold my judgment until it comes out. After seeing so many people here called the 5D3 a "huge disappointment" and "What the $*!& Canon!" when the specs came out, and then seeing everyone raving about the camera when they got i a couple months later… It seems as though Canon's had a way to make the cameras better in person than they are on paper.

goosemang
Total Posts: 1690

can't believe they couldn't even step up the AF system to 7D levels. i mean they didn't give it the AF system of a camera that cost $1,600 three years ago. this thing is so obviously intentionally crippled in every possible way they could think of. that's the main difference between canon and nikon right now: nikon is trying to see how much they can pack into a body for $x.xx, and canon is trying to see how much they can take out and still charge $x.xx.

i am aware that, realistically, this crap doesn't mean much in the way of taking pictures. my gear works exceptionally well and shooting with nikon wouldn't make me a better photographer. the 6d, as a camera, will surely function very well.

the troubling thing is that canon are really acting like a company that's doing everything possible not to change with the times, and that's never a good thing.

gocolts
Total Posts: 884

This camera confirms to me that the best way to get into full-frame from Canon, assuming you want the latest bells & whistles AF/ISO-wise, is not a 6D...it's a preowned/refurbished 5D3...IMO.

The fact that the 6D has an AF system inferior to my 7D really surprises me...I was hoping this thing would at least be a full-frame version of the 7D in everything except for maybe FPS...

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12144

I have zero interest in this camera and maybe this will be the last straw for Canon to realize that they really have to step up to the plate with the next, really big one .

surf monkey
Total Posts: 2752

GC5 wrote:
The 6d doesn't offer me nearly enough to want to upgrade my 5d2. They haven't released anything that makes me want to upgrade my 60d either. While I would love to upgrade to the 5d3 (or maybe a 1dIV), it's not in the cards for cost reasons.

It's pretty obvious that the Canon 6D is an entry-level full frame. Meaning that it's intended to get APS-C users to go full frame, although it's not really a "better" camera than the 7D.
It's not intended as an upgrade for 5D2 users. The 5D3 is the upgrade, which of course costs more, as most upgrades do.

goosemang

i guess this is what happens when you don't have the trump card: sensor technology

nikon can create a range of cameras that sell based on a handful of specs, one of which being incredible sensor technology. so you can offer an excellent sensor at $2000 and a phenominal one at $3000, and provide both users with decent auto focus, etc.

canon basically have to create their range of cameras based on every other stupid feature in the camera since they dont have the "wow" sensors. so you end up having to decide things like "uh, do i need more than one cross type AF point? do i need more than one card slot? is it worth paying 30% more for a body that gives me these features without any real benefit in image quality?"

Will Patterson
Total Posts: 4650

I really don't understand this decision by Canon. It's basically a neutered 5D3. A really now antiquated AF system - 1 cross type AF point in the middle and that's it!? Well I hope people that buy it LLLLLLLLLLLOVE to constantly focus and recompose!

And why not give it at least 30MP? Canon dropped the ball on this one. I don't get it.

Richie S
Total Posts: 573

Did they not see the Nikon D600 coming? Perhaps they assumed they would be the only game in town at $2,100??

Rickuz
Total Posts: 461

Richie S wrote:
Did they not see the Nikon D600 coming? Perhaps they assumed they would be the only game in town at $2,100??

I get the feeling that Nikon is competing with Canon. But Canon is so preoccupied with not competing with itself, that it can't see how much Nikon/Sony have leapfrogged them.

jamesf99
Total Posts: 7267

Breitling65 wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm underwhelmed but not surprised at all by the specs, what Canon giveth with one hand they taketh with the other. I'm just thankful they even released the 5D III with such a good AF system.

Agreed, typical Canon tactics. They would NEVER release something new close to 5D3 in specs, they need to sell it.
But what they should do is to price this toy specs camera <= $1300.

Now that's funny. I thought I could be ruthless over Canon's missteps, but you beat me on this one.

surf monkey
Total Posts: 2752

goosemang wrote:
the main difference between canon and nikon right now: nikon is trying to see how much they can pack into a body for $x.xx, and canon is trying to see how much they can take out and still charge $x.xx.

This seems to be more and more true with each new release.
Full frame without 100% viewfinder?
And the 6D's new AF system is baffling.
Maybe they were planning on putting the 7D AF system in it, but all the complaints about the hard-to-see 5D3's AF points had them change the 6D?

The one positive I can say about the 6D - it sure makes the 5D3 look good!

Will Patterson
Total Posts: 4650

Quick hands-on review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPKI5dv6phA

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

Regarding the lack of pop up flash, Canon's probably trying to cross-sell their EOS M flash, the 90EX.

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4174

Imaging resoucrce and dpreview report 1/4000 max shutter and only 1/180th flash synch.

elader
Total Posts: 4583

dhphoto wrote:
melcat wrote:

The buttons at top right each do only one thing - a huge improvement.

Except no flash exposure compensation button, the one I use most by far. Now you have to go into the Q menu.

yes, to me that would be a bad thing.

KKapple
Total Posts: 1918

Would rather buy another 5dmkII as a back up.
Canon is/has become a dissapointment.

goosemang

no joystick either huh

pookipichu
Total Posts: 1875

Big YAWN. Canon is completely ignoring the fashion and landscape market. Thank goodness for competition.

1       2       3       4      
       6              20       21       end