Landscape Tripod suggestions
/forum/topic/1148983/0

canadajim
Total Posts: 2019

I did a search but couldn't find what I needed. I'm going to buy a FF camera (probably the 5d mkiii) for landscape and need a lightweight tripod and head. I would like to keep it under 1K. I'll be carrying it on my back when I go hiking so it has to be light!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it this has been discussed before.

Jim

chez
Total Posts: 8083

I use a Feisol 3442 with a Markins head for my landscape work and can truly recommend it. Sturdy, light and well under your budget. I've taken my outfit on hundreds of hikes and 95% of my images are taken off this setup.

Todd Warnke
Total Posts: 3454

2 series Gitzo, Markins head.

gcharles
Total Posts: 4

Chez, which Markins head do you have on the 3442? I'm planning on purchasing a 3442 but am confused as to which heads will allow the legs to fully close when reversed. Thanks.

Alex Nail
Total Posts: 2833

If you're going hiking and you have a healthy budget like that then the GT2541 Mountaineer is ideal. I use a GT2541EX explorer when I go backpacking and its much heavier but more flexible.

An RRS BH40 would be my recommendation for a head because I have one and love it, but a lot of people think that Markins heads are smoother.

A L-plate is a great addition too and combined you should have a perfect setup for anything but 300mm+ focal lengths.

chez
Total Posts: 8083

gcharles wrote:
Chez, which Markins head do you have on the 3442? I'm planning on purchasing a 3442 but am confused as to which heads will allow the legs to fully close when reversed. Thanks.

I have the Q3 and the legs do wrap around the bullhead making it very compact for travel.

jstntym
Total Posts: 233

I recently purchased the Gitzo 2541LW with a Q-10 with a quick release plate and found it to be extremely well made and great advice from the folks here. They explained the "buy once, cry once" philosophy and I'd agree completely now. Though to be honest I wasn't expecting tripod/ballhead combos to be expensive. I understand now how well a good one is constructed and built to last. I too have the 5D MkIII and wanted a tripod that would give me some confidence using the camera and some nice zoom without worry. Though being an amateur, I can recognize good quality and construction and I was pleasantly surprised. No matter which one you decide upon, get a well built one as they'll last for some time.

HawkJody
Total Posts: 144

This is a no brainer as for quality or function:
Really Right Stuff Versa TVC-23 or TVC-24 with a Really Right stuff BH-40 ballhead, you can spend less but you cannot find better.

canadajim
Total Posts: 2019

Thanks everybody for the advice. I checked out the Gitzo line at a local store today. Almost walked home with but the store was busy. I'll go back later this week. I agree buy a good one and be done with it.

Jim

peter_n
Total Posts: 855

If the lenses you're using on your hikes are <=200mm and you like Gitzo take a look at the Gitzo traveler G1542T. The Markins Q3T (recently relabeled Q3-TR and Q3-TRQ) is a good general purpose small ballhead specifically designed for the Gitzo traveler model. Its max outside diameter is 50mm and that's a requirement for most fold-back legs to rest parallel to the center column.

Rajan Parrikar
Total Posts: 1389

HawkJody wrote:
This is a no brainer as for quality or function:
Really Right Stuff Versa TVC-23 or TVC-24 with a Really Right stuff BH-40 ballhead, you can spend less but you cannot find better.

True.

howardm4
Total Posts: 3003

The M10 (Q10) will *almost* fully close. 2 of the 3 work but the 3rd interferes slightly w/ the panning lock knob. It's like 95% of the way there.

gcharles wrote:

jolsongoude
Total Posts: 37

Gitzo GT3542LS w/Acratech Ultimate (I have the previous 3541LS) Simply outstanding.