E-PL5 and E-PM2
/forum/topic/1148809/1

end

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6113

Hmmm I was thinking of getting one of these as a backup body but a used E-M5 might just make more sense at those pricing levels.

Or I might have to vainly hold out for the supposed next pro 4/3 body since i'm slowly building a collection of 4/3 lenses.

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4389

Spot focusing (new feature on the new PENs) will be added through firmware for OM-D.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/539139/photokina-2012-olympus-unveils-new-mft-cameras-and-lenses

Scroll down halfway.

FlyPenFly

Hah interesting quote:

Olympus's aim is not to replace the DSLR but appeal to a younger, creative-minded audience.

Bahr said SLR users are ‘getting older' and admitted that this has become an ‘issue for manufacturers'.

CalW
Total Posts: 1985

Well, he has a point - I got older and it hurt like hell to carry a 1Ds2 with a few lenses - consequently I am no longer a DSLR owner - but does that make me any younger? Uh - didn't think so.

FlyPenFly

So no thumb control wheel? Just a big record button? Pretty lame.

kewlcanon

Ming Thien's review:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/09/26/olympus-e-pl5/

Antje
Total Posts: 6157

FlyPenFly wrote:
So no thumb control wheel? Just a big record button? Pretty lame.

Well, it's a PL... Might be different with an E-P5?

kewlcanon

E-PL5 review by Robin Wong:

http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2012/09/olympus-pen-e-pl5-review-nigel-kel-lis.html

corndog
Total Posts: 4056

Anyone using one of these little cameras happily? Or, do you wish you would have just spent extra for the OM-D?

millsart
Total Posts: 4251

Looks to be a nice camera for a certain type of user who doesn't need all the features of the EM-5. Price point seems to be the only real issue though, just a bit too close to the EM-5 right now, and doesn't seem to be any body only option.

I'd say $499, or even $599 would make the EPL5 quite the hit, and also be attractively priced enough to have some EM-5 users thinking about picking one up as a second body.

That little 15mm f8 body cap lens would be a brilliant freebie to package with the camera as well.

corndog

They have the body only (silver) in stock at B&H for $649, so it's not that big of a stretch from the high end of your target price range. I agree though, $499 and they would be a hot little item. I'd probably buy one right now, but the current price leaves me on the fence looking at other options. I'd like to have something lightweight to take snowshoeing this winter and the weather sealing of the OM-D is appealing, but then the price starts going up from there and I don't want to be balls deep into a system that's likely to decrease in value come early 2013, which is just around the corner. I wish that other thread didn't get shut down from all the RAW ranting, it was starting off quite helpful.

millsart
Total Posts: 4251

corndog wrote:
They have the body only (silver) in stock at B&H for $649, so it's not that big of a stretch from the high end of your target price range. I agree though, $499 and they would be a hot little item. I'd probably buy one right now, but the current price leaves me on the fence looking at other options. I'd like to have something lightweight to take snowshoeing this winter and the weather sealing of the OM-D is appealing, but then the price starts going up from there and I don't want to be balls deep into a system that's likely to decrease in value come early 2013, which is just around the corner. I wish that other thread didn't get shut down from all the RAW ranting, it was starting off quite helpful.

That is a pretty good price, better than I've seen listed elsewhere which was usually $699, and frankly when your spending $700, you don't really appeal to entry level first time buyers, and there are lots of other cameras for only slightly more like the NEX6

As far as systems go, I think the body could perhaps be a bit outdated quickly, but the glass should certainly keep its value. Lenses like the 25 1.4, 12 f2.0, 45mm f1.8 etc are always going to be popular and you'll lose little if any if you sell them.

corndog

The 12/25/45 trio (and others) combined with the solid AF of the new Oly's is what keeps me away from the NEX line. I'm thinking of sampling an Oly body and one, or more, of those lenses to possibly replace some of my DSLR gear. Ultimately, I think I'd need that pricey 12-35/2.8 zoom at some point, but I'm just trying to tiptoe my way in here...

mann_p
Total Posts: 102

Thank goodness the E-PM2 body will only be A$450 at my local camera store. Looking to pick this one up as soon as it hits the shelves. I was quite satisfied with the E-PM1 and this one looks to be better. I'm eagerly awaiting though for the day that the max shutter speed will be bumped up to 1/8000 for the m4/3 system and for that the Samsung NX20 is looking quite attractive too.

malohnes
Total Posts: 156

Considering the price of the RX100 and its intended market and the price and the OMD, I think the EPL5 is well priced for what you get. Yes, I would always prefer it less expensive, but not out of hand.

M43rds are by far the most appealing from a lens choice standpoint since native lenses are well represented and adapted lens are very deep.

The OMD is more appealing to me only form the perspective that I prefer a camera with a little real estate to hold on to. Many of these camera are getting to small to do really serious work from a lens/body balance situation, unless one is using a small prime or pancake.

I prefer the Oly family as I feel they are the best in balance of size/weight/image quality/ergonomics and bells and whistles.

end