Venue rules
/forum/topic/1148597/5

1       2       3              5      
       end

jared_irl
Total Posts: 219

I guess I missed the point of the thread, but Scott, I've shot drexelbrook several times, and have never worn a jacket. No one has said a word. I've never bothered to read there rules wither, I just sign and send em back. I just checked, and sure enough it's in there.

spink
Total Posts: 1567

Man, I wish I had this problem. I usually out dress my clients. :/

jeraldcook
Total Posts: 521

marti.g3 wrote:

I don't see how a "jacket" makes your "work" any better. It may make YOU look better, but it doesn't improve your "work".

If work = the quality of your photos, then wearing a jacket isn't going to improve your work. But if work = your photography business, then IMHO wearing a jacket can absolutely improve your work.

Humans like others who they feel are similar to themselves. It's part of human nature, engrained in our DNA from our tribal days. An us versus them mentality. Imagine if instead of objecting to wearing a jacket, you just did it to fit in and follow the rules. Now the venue coordinator not only sees that you deliver quality photos but also that you look like one of the members of the club, like you belong there; one of them. I'm willing to bet that the venue coordinator be more likely to refer you work if they thought you were one of them. I'm also willing to bet guest are more likely to see you that way as well. Now it is only one part of the puzzle, but it is a part none the less.

Here's how I see it: Todd is very much a businessman who happens to take excellent photos. Business is first. Others are photographers who happen to run a business. The quality of their work is what they feel gets them their work. There is nothing wrong with either strategy, they're just different.

But does anyone here think Jasmine Star is so well known because her photography is so much better than everyone else's? No, it's because she realizes that it's a business and that her product needs to be more than just what she delivers 4-6 weeks after the wedding.

marti.g3 wrote:
"hey Jim, bring that jack hammer over her"......."ok bob, but first let me adjust my bowtie, a straight one makes my work look better"............that's my point.

If you had to chose between two furnace technicians to be unsupervised in you house doing repairs, who are you going to choose: the guy with dirty mismatched uniform in a beat up truck or a well groomed guy in a clean uniform and a legitimate work truck. Appearances do matter.

mjgphotoz
Total Posts: 62

Just my two cents. Like it or not, we are judged by our appearances and part of that
judgement has to do with our dress on the job. Some of our complaints center around
the lack of respect/pay for our work and we blame the economy/noobs/CL and the
camera companies advancements for that lack. However, if we do not separate ourselves
from the crowd by both the quality of our work and the perception that we are indeed
professionals, why should we be surprised by the result? My studio is in home. When I
meet a client, which is by appointment only, I am dressed as though I were meeting them
in public, in a store front, etc. If I am doing a location shoot, I will dress according to the
location. If I am at a venue, yes, I am dressed accordingly and I have no problem finding
clothes that are appropriate but allow me to "roll on the ground" if need be to get the shot.
It's part of the job. If it were all up to me, the whole world would wear jeans, tees and cutoffs
for all events, but that just is not how it is.

ravello
Total Posts: 23

In an effort to move more upmarket, I'm thinking of renting a BMW X6 on shoot day (not enough room in the Porsche 911 go with the rented D4's and big Nikkor lenses), just in case clients see me arriving at exclusive venues. Hopefully the valets are appropriately attired to park without dinging it - as it will be going back next day. (I'm also dumping those cheapo Canon's ASAP). Canali or Armani tux - I can't decide. I'm thinking, Germany for cars, Italy for suits, Japan for gear (Nikon + Nikkor only, pronounced Nick-on, not Nai-kon). Can't go wrong.

Ian Ivey
Total Posts: 1293

Why slum it in a BMW X6? How embarrassing.

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 4744

ravello wrote:
I'm thinking of renting a BMW X6 on shoot day

True story: I actually heard of a photog back in the days of film who kept a Mercedes in the garage that he only pulled out when he went to go do wedding jobs. The car was for the sake of appearance.

jprezant
Total Posts: 8177

take the money I'm about to send you, and hire a body painter.

TAGfan
Total Posts: 1551

jprezant wrote:
take the money I'm about to send you, and hire a body painter.

Bow-tie tattoo?

jprezant
Total Posts: 8177

I was thinking cumber bun

1       2       3              5      
       end