Venue rules
/forum/topic/1148597/1

3              5       6       end

amonline
Total Posts: 6482

Talk with the client and ask their view first. With approval, talk in-person with the venue. If everyone's on board, I don't see a problem. I definitely don't see writing a letter as helping.

FWIW, I don't wear jackets either; for the exact same reason. I wear all black for these types of events; with approval of course. Even if I were ever told to wear a jacket, it'd be off 2 minutes after walking in the door. It's not about respect or ego - it's about doing the job. If you're uncomfortable, the results will show as such. Besides, I'd hate to bill a client for a ripped jacket.

marti.g3
Total Posts: 2034

Tony Hoffer
Total Posts: 8580

Drexelbrook?

maxwell1295
Total Posts: 6206

How I dress for a wedding shoot...

marti.g3

maxwell1295 wrote:
How I dress for a wedding shoot...

Awesome ! " here i am beeatch, let's shoot " !

TAGfan
Total Posts: 1551

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Drexelbrook?

Yep.

elader
Total Posts: 4583

four words.

salmon and olive plaid.

swoop
Total Posts: 1320

I hate when people don't realize that being a photographer involves physical labor. They can expect you to wear a suit but to be neat looking in it all day constantly taking a knee with with cameras slung over your shoulder and running around to and fro. It's ridiculous.

I wear slacks, dress shoes, a button up shirt and tie. Often with my sleeves rolled up because they often get snagged on my straps. I don't button my top button because with a camera bag on one shoulder and the camera on the other it's literally like being strangled. It's subtle, but it's distracting. By the end of the night my collar is all disheveled looking anyway from the weight of the equipment. My slacks are about a size up to allow for room as I often kneel to get a better angle.

Wearing a jacket is ridiculous.

Ric L.
Total Posts: 366

What does it say about wearing pants?

Prettym1k3
Total Posts: 1502

Robin Usagani wrote:
ckhagen wrote:
Members-only jacket.

Win! Green one!

I'm going to disagree with you here and say that a maroon one really screams "I drive a Deloreon and love myself some good 1980's fashion."

Pic for reference:

blueirisarts
Total Posts: 411

bring a jacket... put on said jacket... enter venue... take off jacket and place by bag. People will see you walking fast... up/down/bob/weave. They won't question it when you have to roll up your sleeves because you are sweatin' so much!

I have never had an issue with taking the jacket off. People usually complement me at the end of the night by saying how hard I work.

Ian Ivey
Total Posts: 1293

I'd wear a jacket. If it's just the reception, you can pretty easily mirror guests, who will wear jackets for a short time, and then probably take them off. At least a significant number will remove jackets for dinner, and you'll blend in when you take yours off with them.

It's really not an unbearable burden to wear a jacket while shooting. It's certainly not as convenient or comfortable, but it seems hardly making an issue out of it. Also, consider getting a (suit) vest. That's easy to wear and won't draw attention.

I would, however, be fascinated to see the language referring to you as a subcontractor. Can you post some of that? (Or PM me?) This isn't a contract, is it? It's just a list of rules?

Ian Ivey
Total Posts: 1293

I'm going to disagree with you here and say that a maroon one really screams "I drive a Deloreon and love myself some good 1980's fashion." Pic for reference:

I loved my maroon Members Only jacket in the '80s. Did anyone ever figure out what the shoulder straps were actually for? I am absolutely convinced they had a purpose.

camerausername
Total Posts: 240

I hate that a suit jacket is considered the most formal attire. It's fine in winter, but a style from Northern Europe doesn't make any sense to wear in 100 degree summers. Eurocentrism has such a grip on culture that nobody questions it, no matter how miserable they are wearing a jacket in the summer. Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe I'm just too practical.

[/rant]

dmacmillan
Total Posts: 4485

maxwell1295 wrote:
Is this place close enough for you to drive there and meet the manager(s) in person? I try to visit venues and introduce myself to the people in charge whenever possible.

Sage advice. I think it will be worth your while to drive there. It's a sign of respect and as pointed out, it can come with unexpected benefits.

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 4735

TAGfan wrote:
I carry two cameras and a couple lenses on my body, that's a pain in the ass.

Photographers have been wearing suit coats for ages carrying around lots of gear.

TRReichman
Total Posts: 2876

echo Ian - I'd wear the suit. I do at every wedding and it isn't ridiculous. Viewing the job as manual labor is a choice, and my experience working black tie weddings leads me to believe that most other black tie vendors can get the job done and look great, calm, and polished at all times. That's part of the appeal.

- trr

TTLKurtis
Total Posts: 9449

What's so hard about wearing a suit jacket? As Ian mentioned, I wear a vest and a tie and the jacket depends on how hot it is (generally it's really hot so I don't wear it), but certainly showing up with it on and then removing it like everyone else there shouldn't be a problem.

RichardLavigne
Total Posts: 5335

canerino wrote:
8-Ball Jacket

Chuck... I love it. You're so thug.

marti.g3

TRReichman wrote:
echo Ian - I'd wear the suit. I do at every wedding and it isn't ridiculous. Viewing the job as manual labor is a choice, and my experience working black tie weddings leads me to believe that most other black tie vendors can get the job done and look great, calm, and polished at all times. That's part of the appeal.

- trr

"most" other black tie vendors ? You mean like the video guy standing around shooting.....not directing, posing, orchestrating, capturing a variety of angle, stooping, running around, climbing, or the DJ, standing there talking on a microphone ? I guess if we could stand in one place for most of our job we'd look polished too...not like we're really working.

3              5       6       end