Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II tested by Roger Cicala
/forum/topic/1148050/5

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20199

netexpress wrote:
My significant other just showed up with a B&H box and I had no idea what it was until I opened it up minutes ago.

Lucky you! I look foward to hearing about your impressions - almost as much as I look forward to getting my own 24-70L Mk II.

SKumar25
Total Posts: 1878

Congrats netexpress!!

netexpress
Total Posts: 2140

Frankly I astonished this lens isn't on the FM Buy and Sell forum already based on the history here!

jcolwell

netexpress wrote:
Frankly I astonished this lens isn't on the FM Buy and Sell forum already based on the history here!

I bought my first 200-400L/4(5.6) IS here last week! It was really expensive, too. I can hardly wait until it gets delivered. It's coming by Ponie Express.

netexpress

jcolwell wrote:
netexpress wrote:

I bought my first 200-400L/4(5.6) IS here last week! It was really expensive, too. I can hardly wait until it gets delivered. It's coming by Ponie Express.

If you spot the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS version II please ping me ASAP. My flux capacitor hasn't been able to dial one in for me yet and I need the cap ex write off before 2013

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11500

I'm not happy about the price but it seems like a bunch of people are being a little bitchy when they complain about it...

History folks....

Mk1 at release

Think
About
This....

There's a reason mk2 came out!!! If mk1 was everything you hoped and dreamed of...you wouldn't be thinking mk2.

PetKal
Total Posts: 24075

Many collectors of gears on this board.

jcolwell

PetKal wrote:

...said the pot to the kettle.

netexpress

jcolwell wrote:
PetKal wrote:

I'm Busted!

Lens down - hands over my head!

Please Petkal - not another Canon treatment center!

I promise to be good from now on!!! Honest! I'll change!

SKumar25
Total Posts: 1878

RCicala wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:

Roger, how did the 24-70 II compared to the 24 TS-E II in the corners? It's hard to think that the zoom would have higher resolution.

Fred, it was the 24-70 II was sharper in the center and central 1/2, about dead even outside of that.

With Imatest we're measuring about 90% of the way to the corner, but not the absolute corner, though. I'm like everyone else, waiting for a good reviewer to shoot some infinity landscapes or such to tell about the absolute corners.

There is a respected FM'er (PhotoMadNZ) who evaluated the 24-70 L II for professional landscape work. He had access to multiple samples and found the lens has issues relating to field curvature. He shared an example raw file which demostrated this. The image showed slight degradation on the one extreme corner @ f/8. Hardly a huge issue, but it is there.

Also factoring in the distortion, I'd say the 24 TSE II still may be landscape king @ 24mm.

Kisutch
Total Posts: 302

My impression from the review was that the Tamron tested well, roughly as sharp as the 70-200ii, which gets raved about.

PetKal

netexpress wrote:
jcolwell wrote:
PetKal wrote:

I'm Busted!

Sorry, Netty, I think it is hopeless..........you ostensibly have no support at home in your attempts to recover.....even your better half brings you the stuff. Yes, it is hopeless, my poor man.

PetKal

jcolwell wrote:
PetKal wrote:

Jim, at least I have not lost control completely.......when you see me order 24-70L II, then you shall know that I have lost it too.

RCicala
Total Posts: 2901

jonbrach wrote:
out of curiosity..and not to be difficult...didnt the gentleman from lensrentals also say the tamron 24-70 is sharper and a better lens than the canon 24-70 v1?It is one of the reasons I bought a tamron!

I do believe he did.

And it is, a bit, with good image stabilization too.

There are certainly many, myself included, who are absolutely, positively going to have to have the Canon II. But I suspect many more will be absolutely, positively satisfied with the Tammie. It's a very good lens.

netexpress

PetKal wrote:
netexpress wrote:
jcolwell wrote:
PetKal wrote:

I'm Busted!

Sorry, Netty, I think it is hopeless..........you ostensibly have no support at home in your attempts to recover.....even your better half brings you the stuff. Yes, it is hopeless, my poor man.

Thank you for the intervention Peter. I now realize I am co-dependent. I renounce all my Canon glass!!!
Well Except for my Superteles
And my other primes
And the zooms!
,,, and Hasselblad and Zeiss, Profoto and Leica and...

But everything else!!!

netexpress

RCicala wrote:
jonbrach wrote:
out of curiosity..and not to be difficult...didnt the gentleman from lensrentals also say the tamron 24-70 is sharper and a better lens than the canon 24-70 v1?It is one of the reasons I bought a tamron!

I do believe he did.

And it is, a bit, with good image stabilization too.

There are certainly many, myself included, who are absolutely, positively going to have to have the Canon II. But I suspect many more will be absolutely, positively satisfied with the Tammie. It's a very good lens.

The new 24-70 II lens is a photo-journalist staple. Tight shots of hot shots close up...

I'm thinking that at close range this new 24-70 II lens is the cat pajamas. It is optimized for close-ups.

I'm wondering if at landscape range (far out) if the primes dethrone it?

trumpet_guy
Total Posts: 3491

Yes, I have questions about its landscape performance. The version 1 of this zoom performed
best at portrait distances.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11950

Roland, why didn't it surprise me that you already received your copy of the lens ?

15Bit
Total Posts: 3741

Hmm, great lens, but 20k NOK here ($3500). Think i'll pass...

photomadnz
Total Posts: 190

Ive done some more testing with some more samples (!) Yes the lens is extremely sharp for short range, 'focused on subject", type of work. But in saying this, its no sharper then a good copy of the 24-105mm. It still beats the 24-105mm noticeably in the corners at 24mm though. Ive taken some of my samples and printed them quite large (30x20) to really see where its at, printing ultimately is still so much better then peeping.

Anyway, Im still satisfied with my decision not too purchase it. My 24-105mm remains as my walk around lens and my Contax 35-70, which easily beats everything in that focal range, will remain for stitching and landscapes. Ive got a cracking copy of the 24mm TSEII so Im going to do one final test against the zoom with this before taking it back. From my experience with this lens I dont think I will be concurring with lensrentals. YMMV.

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end