Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/70

1       2       3              70      
       72              192       193       end

pingflood
Total Posts: 1567

I think it is the same as before, i.e. that 1/4000 is available at smaller apertures, and it is 1/2000 at larger apertures.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10194

ricardovaste wrote:
Not sure if its been mentioned ? But it seems the max shutter has been increased to 1/4000th. This can only be a good thing...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/pics-of-the-new-rx1/

only at smaller apertures i believe (due to the nature of the in lens shutter).

desvenne
Total Posts: 47

I usually consult manuals for something I own when I want to figure something out or need help.

I read the whole .pdf manual for the RX1 that was linked here earlier front to back, and the product isn't even on the market yet. Shows you how much I'm interested in it!

There's a few things holding me back - price being one of them, obviously - but man, if this thing delivers on the image quality front it will be one sweet camera.

(as an aside, for those interested, the things holding me back, in no particular order:
- price (RX1 + extra battery + hood + case + EVF <-- boy those do add up!)
- no articulated screen (I really enjoy the articulated screen of the Nex 5N), but not as much a dealbreaker since the EVF tilts
- no built-in GPS (I love geotagging, and it's really nice to have and not having to futz with external adapters and stuff)
- I love Manual mode + auto ISO on my D700. The nex 5 doesn't offer auto ISO in M mode, so I'm waiting to see what the RX1 will offer. From what I read the A99 offers auto ISO in M, I'm hoping the RX1 will too.)

michaelwatkins
Total Posts: 1697

Details of the changes made:

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/Cybershot/rx1/dscrx1_specifications.htm

Program Auto(30-1/4000*), Aperture Priority(30-1/4000*), Shutter Priority(30-1/4000*), Manual Exposure(Bulb, 30-1/4000*)
*Maximum speed at F5.6 or greater aperture value. Maximum speed at F2.0 is 1/2000.

(RX1 offers a minimum shutter speed of 1/2000th a second at f/2; the Fujifilm X100 is only 1/1000 at f/2 and reaches 1/4000 at f/8 or greater aperture values but the X100 includes a built in switchable neutral density filter to overcome this shutter speed limitation.)

Regarding Auto ISO in manual mode, I'm fairly certain the camera offers this. I saw the feature on a Sony produced video which included a brief look at the relevant menu, but I'm not 100% certain as it's been some time since I saw it and can't find the link to the video.

desvenne

michaelwatkins wrote:
Regarding Auto ISO in manual mode, I'm fairly certain the camera offers this. I saw the feature on a Sony produced video which included a brief look at the relevant menu, but I'm not 100% certain as it's been some time since I saw it and can't find the link to the video.

Yeah, I tend to believe the same thing, but we'll see once there's actual cameras available

Mind you, the Nikon auto ISO system is pretty flexible, in that you can select a custom range and a minimum shutter speed etc., so we'll have to see how flexible the Sony settings will be.

davewolfs
Total Posts: 1131

Seriously considering replacing a D700 and 35mm 1.4 with something like this. When you add up the view finder and everything else this this thing aint cheap.

Weasel_Loader
Total Posts: 651

I too had a D700 with some great lenses. Looking for a smaller setup, I went with a OM-D. Loved it, then I seriously considered the RX1, but picked up a Fuji X-E1. The add-on EVF on the RX1 was a huge turn off for me considering the price. Also felt a fixed focal length lens would having me quickly looking to replace the camera.

desvenne

davewolfs wrote:
Seriously considering replacing a D700 and 35mm 1.4 with something like this. When you add up the view finder and everything else this this thing aint cheap.

That's the situation I am in, apart from the fact that I haven't gotten around to getting the 35 f1.4 yet (I got the 24 f1.4 first, and kept my 35 f1.8 dx around (great value for money, and quite useable in certain scenarios / circumstances)).

So it would be (ordered by rising cost):

- get the 35 f1.4 Nikon (which is about 40% of the cost of the RX1 here), or

- sell the D700 and upgrade to D800 (or D600, although I don't like that body style as much) (I'd be at about 80% of the cost of the RX1), or

- keep the D700, and get the RX-1

Or any variation thereof, keeping in mind that keeping the D700 and getting both the D800 and RX1, and the 35 F1.4 nikon is not an option. This is a hobby for me and I am not made of money

I'll probably keep the Nex 5N around either way, it's just too flexible with alt glass. And it has video, which is handy for the kids...

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3543

sebboh wrote:
ricardovaste wrote:
Not sure if its been mentioned ? But it seems the max shutter has been increased to 1/4000th. This can only be a good thing...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/pics-of-the-new-rx1/

only at smaller apertures i believe (due to the nature of the in lens shutter).

Darn, sorry about that guys,

In other news, the donations for my RX1 have yet to materialize :'(

carstenw
Total Posts: 15271

desvenne, the options you list are very uneven. The middle option, while attractive, leaves you still without a FX 35. Option 3 leaves you with two systems. Does that work for what you want to do, or would you always wonder which one to bring, or miss the one you left at home?

desvenne

carstenw wrote:
desvenne, the options you list are very uneven. The middle option, while attractive, leaves you still without a FX 35. Option 3 leaves you with two systems. Does that work for what you want to do, or would you always wonder which one to bring, or miss the one you left at home?

carstenw, you're right that the options as listed are a bit uneven. Logically, I'd only upgrade to the D800 after getting the 35mm f1.4 lens (or get both together, depending if there is a nikon rebate going on). I've been stalling getting the nikon 35, also want to see the sigma 35 real life examples for instance. Again, logically, 34 AFS + D800 as an upgrade has a lot going for it, it's a very easy and nice transition from the D700 I have now. I'm just wondering if, instead of upgrading, I'd add the RX1 to my existing kit, and use it together with the D700 and/or Nex. The RX1 + accessories (EVF, case, hood, extra battery, external charger) woud be a great complement to a DSLR I think.

Having two systems is not a problem, I'm using the D700 with a nex 5N now. And I'm either bringing both, or one specifically for what I want to do (like the D700 for concerts & product shoots, the nex for walkaround, both for around the house & the kids). As much as I like the nex 5N, the D700 just produces nicer pictures ime and imho. I'm hoping the RX1 will provide even better image quality than the D700, we'll soon see when users get their copies in hands.

Honestly, someone should just bring out a small full frame interchangeable lens camera (the rumored nex 9?), with AF (the AF rules out Leica, however much I like the cameras & lenses).

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

I almost never use my D700 anymore. I brought it with me yesterday, and when in live view, I pushed the LCD screen to magnify. After using the Nex, I'm not sure big cameras are for me anymore. Maybe the A99. I think the RX1 is mighty tempting. But price is steep.

desvenne

mortyb wrote:
I almost never use my D700 anymore. I brought it with me yesterday, and when in live view, I pushed the LCD screen to magnify. After using the Nex, I'm not sure big cameras are for me anymore. Maybe the A99. I think the RX1 is mighty tempting. But price is steep.

Well, for using a 70-200 f2.8 at for instance concerts, the D700 beats the Nex hands down (also because I'm familiar with the settings and the control wheels allow me to avoid menu diving, which I would have to do with the nex). If I could borrow the EA2 adapter and the sony version of 70-200 f2.8 I'd be tempted to try it out at concerts, but I still think the D700 would be handier (nex 5 + fotodiox adapter + nikon 70-200 was quite unwieldy). Maybe with the nex 7 and the trinavi controls (but no auto iso in M mode is a pain).

I like the A99 a lot from what I've seen, but again, that would be a sidegrade from DSLR to DSLR for me (not to mention having to change all the lenses. The sony 35mm f1.4 also isn't that great, especially for the asking price.

That's why the RX1 is so tempting, I'd keep using my existing gear, and add another convenient way of shooting certain subjects.

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

No doubt a DSLR is better in many situations. RX1 is tempting, but it's a serious amount of money for a fixed lens camera.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

mortyb wrote:
No doubt a DSLR is better in many situations.

Yes, like in times when you want another FL....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Edgars Kalnins
Total Posts: 708

If the new lens is as sharp as ZM 35 I will consider getting a used RX1. 35mm would suit me very much.

michaelwatkins

B&H Photo is having a Sony RX1 hands-on event on Tuesday November 20th. Details and registration information are here.

Mark Weir, Senior Technology Manager for Sony's digital imaging division, will be on hand to speak about the camera and answer questions. Weir has been featured in some of the more informative interviews linked into this thread, so if you are able to head to their 9th Ave store in in NYC, this would be a good opportunity to pose any unanswered questions.

michaelwatkins

Imaging-resource.com received their review sample of the RX1 today - some sample test target images posted:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/11/15/sony-rx1-sample-images-from-the-IR-lab

navyasw02
Total Posts: 251

Does anybody have an english instruction manual for the RX1? I just picked it up in Japan and it's all in Japanese.

michaelwatkins

Have one - sending you a PM with a link. If anyone else wants a copy, let me know.

1       2       3              70      
       72              192       193       end