Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/3

1       2       3      
       5              190       191       end

Dan1
Total Posts: 362

The focus mode selector on the front has a position labelled "DMF." D for direct?

mawz
Total Posts: 7282

I could dig it as long as there's an EVF option. My NEX-7 spends most of its time with the ZA24 mounted anyways.

@Dan1: DMF is Sony's AF+Manual Override mode, all of the focus-by-wire bodies offer AF, DMF and MF. DMF stands for Direct Manual Focus

wolfloid
Total Posts: 369

If the price is right, and everything works well, this may be very nice with an optical viewfinder.

mawz
Total Posts: 7282

wolfloid wrote:
If the price is right, and everything works well, this may be very nice with an optical viewfinder.

Yep, no reason you couldn't use a external optical finder.

briantho
Total Posts: 1059

Come to think of it, why is everyone assuming this is a fixed lens camera? Just because the pics don't show a lens release button?

corposant
Total Posts: 2740

I was looking into the DP2M, but yikes.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1630

Sweet!
I'm very curious about the actual price AND lens performance/rendering. The RX100 also has a great sensor for a compact, but the lens is not on the same level. Hope that's not the case here.
I guess we won't have to worry about speed, because they got that right in the RX100.

Leica X2, rest in peace

snapsy
Total Posts: 3948

briantho wrote:
Come to think of it, why is everyone assuming this is a fixed lens camera? Just because the pics don't show a lens release button?

Because Andrea at Sony Rumors says it's a fixed lens camra.

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

Awesome. And pricey.

JonasY
Total Posts: 416

What do you guys think of the lens? It is a Sonnar-design, compared to Biogon (for M) and Distagon (for SLR). If they had to design a new lens, I think they should've done it 40 mm (closer to a normal lens).

briantho
Total Posts: 1059

snapsy wrote:
briantho wrote:

Oh. Didn't he also say the NEX Pro FF was coming?

A FF fixed lens camera seems like such a waste of potential. Just imagine if Zeiss offered 3-4 different lenses for a system such as this. Sony/Zeiss would own the market.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 2930

Strangest thing I saw so far from Sony.

It reminded me a bit R1. But even tho it was fixed, it had 24-120mm equiv. Which IMHO is pretty useful for most needs (with high quality optional teleconverters and wide-angle).

But this is.. strange. Hope there will be EVF, just with LCD isnt good enough even tho its sorta nice thing.

And price.. price will either lift it to heaven, or send it to hell. Well sure thing is, that if this is real, Sony is really can do interesting things..

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 2930

briantho wrote:
snapsy wrote:
briantho wrote:

Oh. Didn't he also say the NEX Pro FF was coming?

A FF fixed lens camera seems like such a waste of potential. Just imagine if Zeiss offered 3-4 different lenses for a system such as this. Sony/Zeiss would own the market.

For right price, they would indeed. And imagine if it had very short flange focal distance. Any FF lens on that.. Sigh, we can dream, cant we?

sebboh
Total Posts: 9667

JonasY wrote:
What do you guys think of the lens? It is a Sonnar-design, compared to Biogon (for M) and Distagon (for SLR). If they had to design a new lens, I think they should've done it 40 mm (closer to a normal lens).

sonnar in name like the ZA 24/1.8 and if i recall correctly the original T3?

perhaps that means it will have some laCA issues and focus shift with distinctive bokeh as all previous zeiss lenses labeled sonnar of normal or shorter focal length?

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 9903

It's very odd to me that Sony would have ditched the built in EVF for a Flash. I think that will turn out to be a big mistake. An add on EVF is just not going to be as elegant/ compact and I doubt the majority of potential users are going to be happy without any sort of built in finder. Maybe what we are seeing is just one beta/ test version and the final camera will be a bit different.

snowboarder
Total Posts: 2536

I think the advantage of the FF sensor is kind of lost with a fixed lens camera.
The whole point is to use several FF lenses on it.
R1 looks really interesting and I like it because it's pushing the industry while Canon and Nikon
are just plain boring doing nothing interesting or adventerous companies.
But I can put my Leica M 35 Cron or 28 Cron or even 21 SEL on my 5N and I will have a better camera...
Better lens, great sensor and yes it will be a crop camera, but it will be probably smaller,
I have a great EVF for it and the amazing tilting LCD.

snowboarder

Damn, Sony is really pushing it!

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-rx1-costs-2799-same-a99-sensor/

I think it's amazing what Sony, Fuji and Oly are doing. Quite a shame where Canon/Nikon
are at the moment...

sebboh
Total Posts: 9667

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It's very odd to me that Sony would have ditched the built in EVF for a Flash. I think that will turn out to be a big mistake. An add on EVF is just not going to be as elegant/ compact and I doubt the majority of potential users are going to be happy without any sort of built in finder. Maybe what we are seeing is just one beta/ test version and the final camera will be a bit different.

looking at the view from above it looks like the lcd takes up too much space for there to be an evf. they would have to make the camera bigger to accomodate an evf or push the lcd over a bit.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1630

I agree Andrew. Those companies are doing great things! Canon and Nikon are just relying on their huge loyal userbase.

If that'll be the price of the RX1 it better has an amazing lens or else it's just too madly expensive (for me).

snowboarder

sebboh wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:

looking at the view from above it looks like the lcd takes up too much space for there to be an evf. they would have to make the camera bigger to accomodate an evf or push the lcd over a bit.

There will be an EVF and an OVF to attach to it. I think it's the best solution, pick which ever you like...

1       2       3      
       5              190       191       end