Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/138

1       2       3              138      
       140              192       193       end

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10840

Makten wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
Perhaps this has been mentioned, I don't know, but one "bug" I have noticed with the Auto ISO feature is that when you are using it in Manual mode (set whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, the camera automatically adjusts the ISO), the exposure compensation does not work. That mode is really handy but it would be nice if a firmware update fixed it so Exp. compensation acted on the chosen AUTO ISO and over/ under exposed by the exposure compensation amount chosen.

Are you sure that it isn't a restriction depending on metering mode or something else? I can swear that I used the camera that way and that I would have gone nuts if it wasn't workning.

You are exactly right! I just did a quick interior test and indeed it works as it should. I must have hit the lower ISO limit with my underexposure compensation previously in daylight. duh!

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2466

I would have went nuts as well... but the camera behaves exactly as Tariq describes it above. It's very convenient. Tariq, I'm with Makten - I guess your settings need to be adjusted. Or, maybe you just hit the limit of the ISO Auto settings?

Now my post look a bit stupid but I assure you I typed it before seeing Tariq's reply above.

Tariq Gibran

Ha ha. My post looks stupid since it's a problem that doesn't exist, thank goodness.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3882

I understand now. Hopefully if enough people mention it small tweaks like this will appear in the firmware. But as you know, Sony is new to this auto-ISO customization, and is generally very slow with firmware updates. They've certainly shown they've listened in the past, it can just take a while

Tariq Gibran

One thing I can say about Sony and firmware is that they often get it right to begin with, unlike say Fuji who usually release "beta" products that see dramatic improvements though firmware over the course of the product life cycle.

Makten
Total Posts: 4045

Tariq Gibran wrote:
You are exactly right! I just did a quick interior test and indeed it works as it should. I must have hit the lower ISO limit with my underexposure compensation previously in daylight. duh!

Good! I had auto-ISO engaged all the time and switched between A and M mode depending on the light. 1/80 is a good limit when you're not needing more than say ISO 800-1600, but if light gets lower, just flip over to M and set 1/50 or slower. It's a good way to progressively allow a bit more motion blur before noise is increasing too much, such as going down to 1/25 at ISO 3200-6400 instead of cranking to ISO even more. I use my D700 in the exact same way.

I agree about the firmware. There really isn't much I'd like to "fix" in the RX1 user interface. It's more a matter of finding out how to customize it to your own liking.

Muizen
Total Posts: 23

The remark by Tariq regarding Exposure Compensation (EC) in Manual Mode (MM) , got my attention because I am still having questions by the system of RX1 and other cameras, whereby in Auto ISO when changes are being made to exposure, ISO is the most important element in processing such exposure adjustments.

In my Leica M9 I normally would shoot in Aperture Mode and try to determine what ISO value would best to meet the light situation and then adjust aperture to get the best possible exposure.

In the RX1 if I shoot in Aperture Mode, which I prefer, with a fixed ISO, I can only change aperture. By using EC I can have some influence on the SS.
When I select Auto ISO the SS is blocked at 1/80s which is most of the time far too slow.

If I use Shutter Mode and a fixed ISO, selecting a proper shutter speeds changes the aperture value. Using EC creates more confusion. In Auto ISO adjustment of SS increases or decreases ISO.

The Manual Mode seems to be the most useable mode, because with a fixed ISO value, I can adjust SS and A and keep the ISO unchanged and try to find the best combination of SS, A and ISO.
However if I select Auto ISO in this mode any change of SS and or A will change the ISO value. If I adjust exposure by applying EC the ISO value will change again.
I just don't like the camera in Auto ISO to use ISO to adjust exposure.
It most likely will take some getting accustomed to ISO changing all the time?
Harry

Errz
Total Posts: 64

any idea if RX1 support tethering ?

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6107

I just received my RX1 today, and I'm impressed with this little devil. Outside of the distortion and a bit of LOCA, the lens seems outstanding. I also got the EVF, but I'm surprised how much I like shooting with just the LCD, even in the sunlight. I don't know if it's the LASIK that I underwent a couple of years ago, or what, but shooting with my elbows tucked to my sides and the camera about 8" from my face works really well. I may only use the EVF occasionally, which surprises me.

BTW, I got this in like-new condition from the Amazon warehouse for $2160, and the camera looks great.

Tariq Gibran

douglasf13 wrote:
I just received my RX1 today, and I'm impressed with this little devil. Outside of the distortion and a bit of LOCA, the lens seems outstanding. I also got the EVF, but I'm surprised how much I like shooting with just the LCD, even in the sunlight. I don't know if it's the LASIK that I underwent a couple of years ago, or what, but shooting with my elbows tucked to my sides and the camera about 8" from my face works really well. I may only use the EVF occasionally, which surprises me.

BTW, I got this in like-new condition from the Amazon warehouse for $2160, and the camera looks great.

Congrats and Great Price! That's about $100 less than I paid for a Like New version from Amazon about a month or so ago. Mine turned out to be a fairly early serial number - 3500164. I can only imagine it was sitting in some warehouse for quite some time after it was initially returned. It also appears to have only had about 260 shots or so on it with no signs of use. I was initially a bit worried about purchasing from Amazon Warehouse as their rating system had previously proved to not be so accurate with a few things I have ordered.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions after some use.

douglasf13

My copy is about a thousand units more recent than yours, but it came with about 1500 shots on it. Everything seems to be checking out ok. I do see a couple of faint dust spots at f22, but I never shoot at that aperture, so I'm not going to worry about it. I may try experimenting with putting my cell on vibrate, placing against the LCD, and then calling it. Homemade dust shaker?

Tariq Gibran

I was actually a little worried at first with the very low serial number but the camera seems fine. One can go nuts testing for stuff, particularly if you read too many forums. For instance, I did not know about the possibility of out of round apertures (upon stopping down a little) but thus far, mine seems fine. I believe that issue affected some of the early serial numbers.

Btw, the official Sony screen protector is very well made and one of the few RX1 accessories that does not seem outrageously priced.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3105

Too true, Tariq.

Mine is SN 5524nnn, bought last month so they must have sold a few. A lot of people want to try before they buy with something like the RX1, so that accounts for the supply of near-new ones in very good order. I think it also accounts for the buyer's remorse matter of assorted faults and deficiencies syndrome! Easier to send it back if it has a 'problem'.

I always use Sony protectors, I have been for years - they are very scratch resistant, easy to clean and even go on easy enough, best I have found in fact.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3105

Muizen, it is down to preferences, you have to work through what suits you. FWIW, I really dislike auto ISO, it is one setting I want control of all the time, so its on the C button for me. I set the main control - Aperture - first in composition so I shoot A mode, then seek the best compromise between the camera selected shutter speed and ISO, while checking the histo and working EC to finetune.

I got slack on the a99 initially and shot it at higher ISOs than strictly necessary quite often - revelling in the excellent IQ post a900 I guess - but now I know the sensor is so fabulous at low ISO, that is my aim in conjunction with an 'acceptable' s/s and chosen aperture.

The camera default choice of 1/80 sec cops some flack, dunno why, that is 2.5 times its true FL, you should be able to get good results there with good technique...'slow is smooth, smooth is fast' - so the snipers say.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10712

philip_pj wrote:
I always use Sony protectors, I have been for years - they are very scratch resistant, easy to clean and even go on easy enough, best I have found in fact.

is possible to shoot with it on in daylight, or is there too much glare?

philip_pj wrote:
The camera default choice of 1/80 sec cops some flack, dunno why, that is 2.5 times its true FL, you should be able to get good results there with good technique...'slow is smooth, smooth is fast' - so the snipers say.

spoken like a shooter of things that don't move. 1/80 sec is useless for shooting people doing anything other posing with fake smiles. this where auto iso really comes in handy set the shutter speed to the min needed to stop motion to the degree you want, set the aperture you want, and let the camera automatically choose the min iso that allows you get the shot.

douglasf13

It's great that the RX1 let's you use autoISO in M mode with working exposure compensation. It just about makes up for not being able to set a minimum shutter speed with autoISO.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1825

sebboh wrote:
philip_pj wrote:

is possible to shoot with it on in daylight, or is there too much glare?

I also use the Sony screen protector.
The LCD is very bright and when shooting in bright sunlight, I always switch the LCD brightness setting to "sunny weather". No problems with glare.

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4181

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I was actually a little worried at first with the very low serial number but the camera seems fine. One can go nuts testing for stuff, particularly if you read too many forums. For instance, I did not know about the possibility of out of round apertures (upon stopping down a little) but thus far, mine seems fine. I believe that issue affected some of the early serial numbers.

Btw, the official Sony screen protector is very well made and one of the few RX1 accessories that does not seem outrageously priced.

My RX1's SN is 350012x and so far has been fine. Had it since Dec 2012.
I thought the unround aperture is common to all copies and due to the leaf shutter design. Have not noticed it any shot yet.

Tariq Gibran

wayne seltzer wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:

My RX1's SN is 350012x and so far has been fine. Had it since Dec 2012.
I thought the unround aperture is common to all copies and due to the leaf shutter design. Have not noticed it any shot yet.

Hi Wayne. I think the non-circular/ unround aperture issue is where the aperture is very unround, not just a little, even when the lens is only slightly stopped down - say just past wide open, 2.8 and F4. In that extreme case, the oof bokeh can be affected. I think it's normal to be a little unround when stopping down further and, of course, would have little visual effect at the greater dof. From what I saw researching the issue, most of what people were concerned with turned out to be "much ado about nothing"!

douglasf13

Yeah, I can't help but wonder if my RX1 was returned by someone on this forum who found a problem with it.

My aperture goes slightly out of around somewhere between f5.6-f8, but not alarmingly so.

1       2       3              138      
       140              192       193       end