Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/123

1       2       3              123      
       125              192       193       end

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3109

Wayne, some of the slim filters do have front threads - I ordered a 010 which does - 'B+W 010 UV-Filter 49mm XS-Pro Digital with MRC nano', so I can try my nifty stepdown ring lens hood experiment, and I see this pola also does, again from B+W:

http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Filters-Filter-Adapters/Polarfilter-CPL/B-W-AUC-CPL-Filter-Kaesemann-MRC-nano-XS-Pro-49mm::4357.html?language=en

'The filter has a front thread so that you can attach a further filter, a screw-type lens hood or a lens cap.' Much easier on the wallet than buying the things for the 82mm CZ lenses! So easier to buy the best around.

It's a good thing the battery charger makers had the same battery to design for in the RX100, there are several and all work well according to reviews. I am kind of fussy with OEM batts so will likely buy another Sony batt and an aftermarket charger. I'll get that Premium brand one, even if the Wasabi ones work - the name puts me off as it reminds me of the guy who rode with the Lone Ranger.

Afri, you can get the EVF from several web mailorder places in Oz. Cheaper in the US but not much in it.

aFrIcanSH
Total Posts: 334

Looking at the premium tech charger now. Cheap enough for me to have a go. I'll probably get a nex 49mm lens cap (not sure which lens). Either way I'm not so keen on the original sony cap, it's heavier and i don't want to lose that thing (all the more if the threads don't fit).
As for the op tech case, it fits pretty snug without the evf. But since the material is stretchable im crossing my fingers that it'll be fine. The sales dude at the shop said a hood will fit because the material isnt rigid so i hope the same applies.

aFrIcanSH
Total Posts: 334

And jeez...the camera manual is hopeless!

megancanada
Total Posts: 264

I like to use a Soft Release shutter button with the RX1. I did notice however that at times when I carry the RX1 in my pocket or when i put it in the Sony case it can be pressed down by mistake. When this happens,even though the camera is shut off, it still depletes the battery?

Oh well, love the camera. Other than that no problems here and looking forward to spring!

philip_pj

yes, it does, megancanada, there have been a number of reports on other (more Sony oriented) forums. It's not uncommon for many electronic cameras, my a99 drained itself once when, even though powered down, I left it switched on - the EVF detected light and movement in the bag and powered the camera back up.

Now I switch it off when it goes into the bag. The RX1 issue happens even when switched off it seems, but mine has not arrived so others here may have a contribution on this matter.

If the shutter release itself is soft as expected, I will happily use the stock release though I did like the idea of tarting it up with a gawdy button on top!

More here:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3358389

teseg
Total Posts: 48

I added a soft release on mine because the shutter release button is somewhat level with the little metal collar that surrounds it and I found it difficult to locate and press easily. With my soft release it is a easy to locate and use (just plain black bip, so slightly dented top).

The battery drain with release depressed and camera off is about my biggest peave with this camera. My work briefcase that I put my camera in for business trips forces the release to be depressed, so I have to remember to remove and reinsert battery as I travel. I really don't like that... but very minor annoyance relative to the joy this "tool" brings me.

r.gil
Total Posts: 541

I'm thinking of getting this camera
are the raw files compatible with Photoshop?
thanks

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1826

r.gil wrote:
I'm thinking of getting this camera
are the raw files compatible with Photoshop?
thanks

Yes they are.

philip_pj

CS6 (or LR4) do an excellent job of processing Sony files these days. For PS you need ACR 7.3. Highly recommended, because the highlight and shadow recovery complements the impressive dynamic range of the sensor and its robust files, an important consideration for those who want to improve their images in post work. This camera also retains much more colour integrity than expected with exposure variations, and with high ISO exposures.

If updating to a newer version of ACR these days, you really need the computer web-enabled.

tulaev
Total Posts: 92

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/4/the-m-typ-240---leicas-very-grown-up-new-baby-reviewed

serhan_
Total Posts: 443

Thanks for posting it, excellent review.

tulaev wrote:
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/4/the-m-typ-240---leicas-very-grown-up-new-baby-reviewed

Also, here is a comparison of Sony full frame NEX-VG900E and Leica M with the Leica Summilux-M 50 ASPH lens:
http://www.digitalversus.com/camcorder/sony-nex-vg900-p16043/full-frame-sony-nex-put-test-n28888.html

Corners look better with M. They should have checked with a wider lens also to see how much the corner performance differs....

Makten
Total Posts: 4045

serhan_ wrote:
Corners look better with M.

Really? I can't see that they are "better" than the overall difference because of the lack of an AA filter. The NEX looks really good actually, but I have no idea of how close the exit pupil is of the 50/1.4.

serhan_
Total Posts: 443

You are right, it might be due to AA filter difference. Roger's test at lensrental shows the resolution improvement on corner btw M9 to M with Leica 50mm, but not much in the center. I don't know they have VG-900 there to test, that should be interesting.

Here is VG-900 shot with Leica 28mm at vg-900 pool, which is a better lens to test for corners:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dakw23/8600001215/in/pool-vg900

Makten wrote:

Really? I can't see that they are "better" than the overall difference because of the lack of an AA filter. The NEX looks really good actually, but I have no idea of how close the exit pupil is of the 50/1.4.

tulaev
Total Posts: 92

NEX-VG900 has little in common with RX1.

corposant
Total Posts: 2803

Is there a consensus as to how well the lens performs at infinity vs. closer distances?

sebboh
Total Posts: 10720

Makten wrote:
serhan_ wrote:
Corners look better with M.

looks fine to me where is my FF NEX so i can stich the 50 lux asph on it!

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4187

corposant wrote:
Is there a consensus as to how well the lens performs at infinity vs. closer distances?

Yes, RX1 lens performs well both at infinity and closer distances.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15973

Well at infinity, and more well closer up

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4981

+1

From what I determined when I compared it against the 35/2 Biogon on the M9, the RX1 is certainly very good at infinity but not really any different from any other decent 35mm. It seems to become more exceptional at closer distances. This is probably because of how smoothly it renders backgrounds compared to other 35mm lenses, yet is still very sharp in the plane of focus.

serhan_ wrote:
You are right, it might be due to AA filter difference. Roger's test at lensrental shows the resolution improvement on corner btw M9 to M with Leica 50mm, but not much in the center. I don't know they have VG-900 there to test, that should be interesting.

Here is VG-900 shot with Leica 28mm at vg-900 pool, which is a better lens to test for corners:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dakw23/8600001215/in/pool-vg900

Makten wrote:

A while ago, he posted samples here on the alt forum with various M series lenses on the VG900 and the wide angle lenses definitely showed significant edge detail smearing. You can see it in the 28mm image linked above. While it's minimized somewhat at f/8, it's still noticeable and definitely would not be evident on an M-series camera. The other photos he posted here are in his VG900 set.

philip_pj

'not really any different from any other *decent* 35mm.'
For the uninformed, Ron has high (Leica) standards.

So does Tim Ashley, here is what he has to say on the matter of RX1 far distance shotmaking:

'The far series is great news. There is no indication of the lens being less well suited to far scenes as I had feared....This is truly a crackingly good performance, right up there with the finest lenses I have ever used.'

Near is also great, as expected. Ron, he has a bit to say on your mid aperture findings also, so it is an issue to note for very discriminating users. Fortunately I am an f8 kind of person for deep DOF work.

Tim used the EVF double mag technique I find so useful in the a99.
I have to say, reading Tim's output I found myself agreeing with most of his opinions and not just on the RX1, so he is highly recommended - and free.

More for the extra hand room on the base, I got the small but perfectly formed Gariz 'case' (now quite affordable) and was heartened to see the tripod mount and base plate are very solid.

I have little doubt the small Markins plate will work a treat on the outside of the 'case'. Great, as the sensor-lens are too good not to see frequent tripod work. I doubt the offset location of the mount will be overwhelmed by the RX1's mass, lol.

I have read so much re the AA on the sensor (it's strong/ it's weak), I'll pass on that, and let that sleeping dog snooze on.

1       2       3              123      
       125              192       193       end