1       2       3              109      
       111              192       193       end

joe88
Total Posts: 2240

tulaev wrote:
Where is this comparison?

post #14.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920070/613

I can tell you the Zeiss 35 on the RX1 is sharp as many others have mentioned.

On another note, I finally received my EVF today. Wow! What a difference to the ergonomics and focusing accuracy. Love it and makes the camera that much nicer to use. It makes me want to shoot in manual focus mode all the time. Focusing is also so much more accurate and I can now hand hold the camera with shutter speeds 1 to 2 stops slower and still get relatively sharp images.

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1196

That sounds great Joe! Just what I was hoping. It's still not in stock over here, but as soon as it is I'll buy one too.

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4159

Congrats Joe on getting the EVF! Yes the camera is much better with it.
Really like the tonality of your M9 B&W street shots from China and was wondering if you think that you could achieve that PP`ing RX1 files?

joe88
Total Posts: 2240

Thanks Helena and Wayne.

Wayne thanks for the comments. I have to shoot the RX1 more before I can tell you but part of the B&W look on my M9 shots is also due to SFEX Pro2. Initial impression is that the RX1 files work quite nicely for B&W. I have seen quite a few really nice B&W shots posted online, probably a combination of the Zeiss lens and excellent Sony sensor?

h00ligan
Total Posts: 2157

Jochenb wrote:
I don't really believe in copy variation when it comes to AF. It's just the downside of having an AF box that's too large. About the example with the tree: the more contrasty background could be seen through the branches. Within the AF box contrast detection chooses the target with the most contrast, in this case the background. My X-E1 also does this when I use a large AF box.

Thank you Helena, I also hope to get a good one this time because I adore the IQ.

This is what I was talking about with the cactus. Over and over it went to the house behind, about 8 feet behind the cactus.

That isn't a huge problem in daylight but it becomes a real issue when the lights dim at a party, which was one of my main reasons for buying.

I'm sure by the time the rx2 ships af speed won't be much of an issue. Hopefully they can fix it before then in firmware.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why they out hybrid on the nex 6 but couldn't do it on the rx1

Cost prohibitive or time prohibitive? Wanted to be out before the x100s? Not sure, but its a bit of a bummer.

The iq of the rx1 is outstanding.

Makten
Total Posts: 4044

I think I've found an issue with AF. If I shoot stopped down to let's say f/4 at 5-10 meters distance, the camera seems to focus so close that DOF just ends at that distance, making some images not as sharp as expected. I can't see any other reason, because the lens is really sharp at infinity, wide open!

I'm gonna make some tests to see if I get better results focusing wide open and then stopping down, or just using MF instead.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1812

That's weird Martin!
Haven't noticed anything like that.

My RX1 is back at Sony now. The service is a disgrace at the moment. Even though they have stock I'll have to wait 2 weeks for a new copy and on top of that they assigned a totally wrong delivery adress. Faulty cameras, faulty service,... doing great Sony!

HelenaN

Oh no, so sorry to hear that Jochen! How frustrated you must be.

Makten, that doesn't sound good. I haven't noticed anything like that with mine.

Jochenb

After contacting them again they agreed to send me my new copy right away. Should have it tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a good one this time.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

From the RX1 problems departments out there in web land come two items:

one, 'cross frame colour caste test results':
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/42628-rx1-cross-frame-colour-caste-test-results.html

two, 'tint issues':
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/02/01/latest-from-the-ir-labsony-rx1-tint-problem-a-sneak-peak-at-camera-tests

It always impresses how many people focus almost exclusively on the nitty gritty of camera tech, since of course the job of taking great photographs is so easy anyone can do it ;-) And, with apologies to Dexter, I call this tendency 'digital photography's dark passenger'.

wayne seltzer

Thanks Philip for the IR link. Looks like we should turn off in camera shading correction as that processing is adding colour casts to the corners even in RAW mode.
Will have to try this. Mortyb and Martin should be a little happier now!

Julio Marcos
Total Posts: 110

wayne seltzer wrote:
Thanks Philip for the IR link. Looks like we should turn off in camera shading correction as that processing is adding colour casts to the corners even in RAW mode.
Will have to try this. Mortyb and Martin should be a little happier now!

That was my suspicion back on page 96 . I've turned it off ever since...

HelenaN

Thank you Philip! The colour cast was really minor in mine, but it does show up now and then. It has never bothered me, but it'll be interesting to see if this will remove it completely.

Btw. I haven't touched my 5D since I bought RX1 in December. It's clear now that I won't use the Canon gear unless I need much wider or longer, so I have decided to sell nearly all my lenses and buy ZE 21 and Canon 70-300L. These two and RX1 should be perfect for everything I want to shoot.

(I'll keep 35L until I'm 100% sure that RX1 can replace it, and possibly 24-105L too for now. I don't exactly love it, but it's a decent lens and very practical sometimes.)

Jochenb

Well, I received my new one.
I'm still careful with conclusions, but it seems like this one is a good copy. Only took a few quick test shots. All corners seem to be equally sharp now and it doesn't have a dusty sensor like my first one. I don't know about color casts, but I don't really care. Sometimes they're there, other times you don't notice any.

Btw, shooting it without the EVF feels strange! If this copy really is a keeper I need to get the EVF ASAP again.

wayne seltzer

Glad your new copy is ok and hope you get an EVF soon.

dovey
Total Posts: 112

This camera is so good that it keeps finding uses in situations that I did not expect.
I love it for travel and street photography, trekking (bushwalking) and now I am using it in obstetric theatre.
I had it with me for a couple of Caesarian sections where I was the anaesthetist. After getting permission from the parents, I used the camera to produce photos so wonderful that the families will treasure them for ever.
I did not feel that these were my photos and gave the SD card to the parents.
The camera is so subtle that it never intrudes, yet the fast lens and superb dynamic range and no need for flash and silent mechanism, wow.
It is a real privilege to see the emotions expressed, and fabulous to capture them. The fathers are by far the most interesting faces in these situations, totally unguarded and intense emotions.

jaywpage
Total Posts: 4

I have a question for anyone who has bought a screw-on-the-end-of-the-filter lens hood for their Sony RX1, as opposed to the much maligned and expensive Sony lens hood. If the screw on hood is attached over a filter does the mounting part of the hood then stick out too far and compromise the angle of view, i.e. cause vignetting? The Sony hood attaches to the outer part of the filter attachment ring with a bayonet mount and might not have this problem.

I'm just wondering if anyone with an RX1 can comment because I haven't heard a single positive thing about he Sony lens hood and I don't know if I should consider buying one when I place my order for an RX1.

HelenaN

Great news Jochen!

I have the screw on eBay hood (very well made btw.) and have used it together with a polarizer of regular thickness, and I haven't noticed any additional vignetting. It's quite convenient to be able to rotate the polarizer by turning the whole hood.

Jochenb

I received the same hood as Helena and I don't notice any problems.

dovey
Total Posts: 112

Helena,
Could you please send a link to that ebay seller?
I got a rubber hood, not that useful

1       2       3              109      
       111              192       193       end