Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/106

1       2       3              106      
       108              192       193       end

Kit Laughlin
Total Posts: 3522

Jochen, I am following your impressions closely! I have the X-E1 too, and I think, of the many cameras i have owned privately and professionally over the years of transition from film to digital, the X-E1's interface is the best, so far (with the grip). And I have been thinking about the Sony too!

There is a thread over at fujix forum that has a firmware update wish list; I mention this because there are so few things that need to be changed for most users to make the UI perfect.

I will hold off on the sony until I have a chance to see what the X-E1 handles like with the 27/2.8 pancake (41mm EFOV); not only is this a perfect focal length for me, it makes the X-E1 really compact. As well, it's a perfect focal length for panoramas, so I want to see what the results of this are like. WRT stitching, I do not think there will be any major difference between them—more than enough sharp pixels.

I did have problems with the NEX-7's EVF; I have read that the RX1's is an improved version, but I have zero problems with the X-E1's, despite its relatively slow refresh rate.

h00ligan
Total Posts: 2157

I'm almost tempted to overnight a xe1 kit to shoot side by side....I doubt highly Tempe camera has one for rent but.

Thing for me is I shoot 35 a LOT. moving to 50 would be good and bad. Isn't there some crazy deal on the xe1 with zoom and 35?

HelenaN
Total Posts: 1154

Congratulations Jochen! It's very interesting to read your thoughts about RX1, especially the comparisons with the Fuji. Neat trick to use the vacuum cleaner - amazing that it worked! Hope you will be happy with it and decide to keep it.

dovey, I can't wait to see your photos from India! Please post when you have the time.

--

Btw. I received the cheap eBay hood last week ($7 with shipping and it only took about 8 days to get here from Hongkong!). It seems very well made and fits perfectly. You screw it on, which means that when you use a filter you screw the hood onto it. That makes it really convenient to use a polarizer, but I don't know if it has any negative effects that I haven't found yet.

I have taken lots of photos lately, but haven't had time to process them yet. Will post in the picture thread asap.

h00ligan

I bought the same hood on ebay, lens mate, i think it was $9 - build well, not like the originally super crappy knockoff fuji hoods when the x100 came out… the question though is… why not a small collapsable rubber hood - any thoughts on that…..

I made what was I think one of my best photos tonight, and on a promise, nobody will ever see it. what a bummer, i'd frame it in a heartbeat… and i don't have one of my shots framed… well i did but someone wanted it so i gave it away

So the one eyed wonder is getting posted again over there.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1792

mortyb wrote:
That's clever with the vacuum cleaner. I guess you know, but when you change focus mode to flexible spot, the box gets smaller, but that's the smallest it gets, I think.

Yes I know, but I've heard reports from several users that flexible spot isn't as reliable as center point. No opinion on that yet.

douglasf13 wrote:
Jochen, assuming that the handling of the RX-1 with EVF is similar to that of the NEX-5N with its EVF, I highly recommend that you try shooting with the EVF tilted at about a 45 degree angle, like the angled Hasselblad finders, with your nose just above the LCD. This will also allow you to lock your elbows at your side, making things very stable.

That's what I do now. It seems to be the best compromise. Have to get used to it.

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Jochen, I am following your impressions closely! I have the X-E1 too, and I think, of the many cameras i have owned privately and professionally over the years of transition from film to digital, the X-E1's interface is the best, so far (with the grip).

I agree.

HelenaN wrote:
Congratulations Jochen! It's very interesting to read your thoughts about RX1, especially the comparisons with the Fuji. Neat trick to use the vacuum cleaner - amazing that it worked! Hope you will be happy with it and decide to keep it.
Btw. I received the cheap eBay hood last week ($7 with shipping and it only took about 8 days to get here from Hongkong!). It seems very well made and fits perfectly. You screw it on, which means that when you use a filter you screw the hood onto it. That makes it really convenient to use a polarizer, but I don't know if it has any negative effects that I haven't found yet.

Thanks Helena. I'll also get that hood if I'm going to keep the camera.

About the comparison to the Fuji:
I'm sure the RX1 will beat it in detail. It's not the Fuji X-trans sensor's best quality. It's good enough for me though and the colors + dynamic range make up for it.
Files look and feel different. Keep that in mind if you decide to try the Fuji h00ligan.

h00ligan

Well. I've got thinking to do

Jochenb

As I told earlier there was dust on the sensor when I got it (which I managed to get out myself).
That's not all: I did a quick test of the lens today. It shows a slight misalignment.
Left edge is less detailed than the right edge, at every aperture.
After the misaligned of my (ex-)RX100, now also the RX1. I'm getting fed up with Sony. What a pathetic QC.

I like the camera. The colors, contrast, dynamic range, bokeh,... are great but this makes it a very tough decision if I want to try another one or just get my money back.

This is an example shot at f5.6. It compares the bottom left with the bottom right corner.
The difference is small, but am I crazy for expecting better for this kind of money?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15651

I don't think it has anything to do with the price (i.e. "for the money"), you simply get a better sensor, better body, better lens for the money. QC is separate, and yes, I agree, this is not acceptable for f/5.6.

h00ligan

no but.. it looks like I am returning my rx1 based on their lack of customer support and horrible process. I sent in a dust effected rx100, they replied, works as expected…

horrible.

mortyb
Total Posts: 1362

Return it, get your money back.

Kit Laughlin
Total Posts: 3522

Jochen, that misalignment should be sufficient of a problem to have the body replaced under warranty, wouldn't it? If that were my camera, that's what I'd be doing. Or on top of the RX-100, is it just too much?

As an aside, my DP2 Merrill is razor sharp edge to edge wide open. and I have not heard any complaints about QC from anyone, either, on the X-E1s (but they are slower to focus). Sorry for you about this; it's an expensive toy.

Jochenb

Ok it's back in the box, ready to get shipped back.
I think I'm going to try another copy first instead of asking my money back right now. I really like the output you get from this small package.
Final chanche Sony.

h00ligan

mortyb wrote:
Return it, get your money back.

I called and they assured me it was dissembles. But now there's a FedEx number which goes nowhere. I was speaking with someone who was quite difficult to understand, as I'm sure I was to him, the while thing. It's just reall got my back up about where I'm going to be in 9 months if something pops up. Sony lost my trust way back when. And only with their cameras was regaining it, but one shot dealing with their support makes me think I'm better staying away.

So off the fence we go. What happens next. I dunno. Shoot with the rx100 and nex maybe. X100s is on order already so (I ordered it when I had to send in my rx100)

What a bummer man. I do like the results. I do like the camera. But I just can not take a chance on this camera and added evf with a company I can't trust to support me afterwards.

If the rx100 comes back and has been cleaned ill eat my hat.

Tech notes: tested. Operating normally

Phone guy. No no that's just because they didn't replace parts. They cleaned it. I'm sure they did. It's our first thing. We take all the cameras apart and clean them. ............

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4132

How far away from subject was this taken?

Jochenb wrote:
As I told earlier there was dust on the sensor when I got it (which I managed to get out myself).
That's not all: I did a quick test of the lens today. It shows a slight misalignment.
Left edge is less detailed than the right edge, at every aperture.
After the misaligned of my (ex-)RX100, now also the RX1. I'm getting fed up with Sony. What a pathetic QC.

I like the camera. The colors, contrast, dynamic range, bokeh,... are great but this makes it a very tough decision if I want to try another one or just get my money back.

This is an example shot at f5.6. It compares the bottom left with the bottom right corner.
The difference is small, but am I crazy for expecting better for this kind of money?

Jochenb

wayne seltzer wrote:

About 1 meter.
In my "real world" shots I noticed the left edge/corners being slightly less detailed than the one(s) on the right.
That's why I shot this test, it confirmed my impression. It shows at every distance and every aperture. It's minimal. You only notice it when pixel peeping, but it bothers me.

mortyb
Total Posts: 1362

If it bothers you, send it back. Don't waste anymore time and energy on that particular copy. Next time, get 3 or 4 copies if you have the funds, choose the best one. I'm serious. Having such a sloppy QC begs for that kind of behaviour. It's my and your money they're asking.

Jochenb

mortyb wrote:
If it bothers you, send it back. Don't waste anymore time and energy on that particular copy. Next time, get 3 or 4 copies if you have the funds, choose the best one. I'm serious. Having such a sloppy QC begs for that kind of behaviour. It's my and your money they're asking.

Yes it's certainly going back. I've been in contact with Sony this morning. They'll collect mine and I hope to have a new copy by the end of next week. If that one also has problems, it's goodbye Sony for me.
Ofcourse I agree about the sloppy QC. Just send everything out and hope you won't get many returns.

Makten
Total Posts: 4044

Jochenb wrote:
About 1 meter.
In my "real world" shots I noticed the left edge/corners being slightly less detailed than the one(s) on the right.
That's why I shot this test, it confirmed my impression. It shows at every distance and every aperture. It's minimal. You only notice it when pixel peeping, but it bothers me.

That looks very much the same as my first one. The new one is about as sharp as your right crop, but already at f/2.

Jochenb

Makten wrote:
That looks very much the same as my first one. The new one is about as sharp as your right crop, but already at f/2.

I just looked at the example from your first copy again and you're right. It looks quite the same. I'm happy you got a good replacement. Hopefully I'll be as lucky.

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4132

Jochenb wrote:
wayne seltzer wrote:

About 1 meter.

Ok, thanks! This is bad, especially for f5.6. Hope you get a good copy this time. It is worth getting one. would be interesting to hear Sony's response to both the dust issue and this left side blurriness problem.

1       2       3              106      
       108              192       193       end