Yosemite extends hantavirus warning. Death toll rises
/forum/topic/1146618/0

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17385

Canon 5D Mark III   17mm TS-E   f/10   1/4s   ISO 100*
From the LA Times:
"Officials at Yosemite National Park plan to notify about 6,000 additional people who stayed in the park's High Sierra camps this summer after a man backpacking through the area was sickened by hantavirus.

The California man's case is unique, Gediman said, because he did not stay in the "signature tent cabins" in Curry Village, a popular park campground located well away from the High Sierra camps. The seven other cases are believed to have originated in Curry Village."

Read the entire article

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19090

Very unfortunate. Best wishes to all affected for a speedy and full recovery.

Sneakyracer
Total Posts: 2366

Wow, I went to Yosemite in mid June for a few days and had no clue that there was any danger regarding the hantavirus. In fact, I had o clue about the virus. Just learned about it now by googling it.

I did stay in one of the Ahwanee cabins in the back of the hotel (for half price since the a/c was not working).

I am very aware of the dangers of mice/rat urin/feces since I know a few people that have gotten leptospirosis. One of them even died. I do live in the tropics and its a problem year round. Its a different disease than the hantavirus but also deadly.

EltonTeng
Total Posts: 2596

I don't know why anyone would want to stay in those tents. They are packed like sardines and no privacy whatsoever.

skibum5
Total Posts: 15161

EltonTeng wrote:
I don't know why anyone would want to stay in those tents. They are packed like sardines and no privacy whatsoever.

smell of the pines and pancakes cooking the morning (granted the Stellar's Jays swoop down and pluck them off the stove before anyone actually gets to eat them but that is beside the point )