New Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 ZE lens at Photokina
/forum/topic/1146507/1

3       end

dimitris77
Total Posts: 535

I better start saving now because this isnt going to be cheap.

Jman13
Total Posts: 10621

This lens will likely be awesome, but also looks like it's absolutely massive. The majority of the barrel looks to be about 77mm (given the front threads at 82mm), and it also looks to be about 100mm long. That means it's likely larger than the Canon 85mm f/1.2L. That's a BIG lens for a 55/1.4 (It'll make the Sigma 50/1.4 look positively tiny). And, probably pretty weighty too. Though, if the optics are there, people probably won't care too much, but most people look to throw a 50mm prime in as a small lens to use.

jopeme
Total Posts: 64

Are they going to replace the whole line?

The ZE lenses, such as the 1.4/35mm ZE, were just released a little time ago. Don't understand a thing

espressogeek
Total Posts: 556

I'm stoked to see a new high end lens hit the market. I've always LOVED distagon lenses and the way they render images. That being said, I was really hoping to see Zeiss produce a modern F/1.2 lens for DSLR cameras.

Snopchenko
Total Posts: 2150

It looks like a ZA lens to me, but MF

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

jopeme wrote:
Are they going to replace the whole line?

The ZE lenses, such as the 1.4/35mm ZE, were just released a little time ago. Don't understand a thing

Not replacing. It's more like a new line (probably even better and more expensive)

Rajan Parrikar
Total Posts: 1382

What is this new "moderate telephoto" that Diglloyd just has up, a 135mm?

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120906_5-Zeiss-new-DSLR-telephoto.html

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
What is this new "moderate telephoto" that Diglloyd just has up -

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120906_5-Zeiss-new-DSLR-telephoto.html

There is some news here

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2985

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19881

I'm guessing only Lars will be able to afford this work of art.
I'm actually a little disappointed seeing a rubber ring on a Zeiss, cheapens the look IMO.

Off-topic slightly but that articles says Zeiss will be releasing AF lenses for mirrorless cameras mid 2013. I wonder if it will just be for APS-C or if they will include m4/3?

Zebrabot
Total Posts: 918

Vaporware no doubt, like anything from zeiss these days.

BostonGreg
Total Posts: 2413

Wow! Not sure it can get any better than the 50 f2 Makro ZE but I trust Zeiss has done it. This one is second on my list to the new Zeiss 15mm

fhammond
Total Posts: 157

Lars Johnsson wrote:
fhammond wrote:
I get excited about these announcements until I think:

a) Do I really want to manually focus a lens?
b) Would I really be able to see a difference in image quality between this and the Canon equivalent?

The realistic answer to both is "no".

And the Canon equivalent is? maybe the 50/1,4

Yeah, I just noticed now that the Zeiss is a 55mm! But, yes, I'd probably say the 50mm f/1.4 is the alternative or the f/1.2

Policar
Total Posts: 69

hologon wrote:
My question is... why retrofocus?

Is this a scaled-down 6x6 ex-Hassleblad design with a massive image circle to avoid the double-gauss MTF doughtnut dip in the periphery? If so, is that 82mm front necessary to get enough light to hit 1.4 (see, e.g., 24/1.4 designs -- but no 6x6 (or 645 for that matter) lens ever hit f1.4.)

Why no Cosina-style metal focusing ring? Does the wide rubber grip make it amenable to attaching a focus pulling rig?

What a curious lens...

I don't understand much about lens design, but aren't retrofocus lenses worse at fast stops, particularly in the corners? Isn't there more distortion? And isn't fall-off kind of a non-issue with a lens like this? This is strange since I always assumed that the advantage of rangefinders was their ability to use non-retrofocus wides and yet this high end lens comes out.... But then again Zeiss' fast 35mm is better than their fast 50mm....so will this simply bring the 50mm up to 35mm standards?

Also, this is a strange focal length to make premium. The 15mm f2.8 makes more sense to me since at least it's wacky and unique.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22645

82 mm filter. Damn that is a large lens. It may be great, but I need AF in a fast lens.

EBH

Sheldon N
Total Posts: 671

fhammond wrote:
I get excited about these announcements until I think:

a) Do I really want to manually focus a lens?
b) Would I really be able to see a difference in image quality between this and the Canon equivalent?

The realistic answer to both is "no".

Generally my sentiments also. At least for real world shooting scenarios.

dgsphoto
Total Posts: 846

I like the 55mm. It's likely that it's probably a tad bit longer than 55.

Fits better between the 35 and 85 FLs.

rico
Total Posts: 3863

As already noted, the Distagon designation is eyebrow-raising. 55mm in 135 format is the Planar sweet spot. In fact, the previous CZ offering at this FL was the anniversary Planar 55/1.2 in C/Y mount - scarce and very expensive. Everything about this new optic is peculiar, including the hardware partner (CZ doesn't manufacture "low end" lenses any more).

grasmuc
Total Posts: 104

The size and the retrofocus lens design looks to me like a lens with larger image circle than 135 full frame. Maybe Zeiss intents to offer the lens also as a large aperture medium wide angle lens with Leica S2 mount (horizontal angle 44mm equivalent) or Phase/Mamiya 645 mount (37mm equivalent, 54x40.4mm sensor, up to 80 MP resolution/5.4um pixel size = quite as demanding as the 4.8um pixel size of the Nikon 800E).

melcat
Total Posts: 702

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm actually a little disappointed seeing a rubber ring on a Zeiss, cheapens the look IMO.

I find the existing ZE-style non-rubberised ones quite unpleasant to use.

Johnny B Goode
Total Posts: 441

I hope it costs more than $2000 otherwise I'm gonna be kicking myself for ordering a 50 1.4 off the b&s.

3       end