Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!
/forum/topic/1145975/2

1       2      
       4       end

nburwell
Total Posts: 3430

I really wish I had seen this posting prior to purchasing the TS-E 45mm. Especially if, as expected, the lens is priced around $600.

-Nick

raydee
Total Posts: 37

http://www.samyang.pl/index.php/pl/samyang-t-s-24-mm-f35

No way this will be sub $1k

raydee

I don't get why they didn't add an automatic / electronic diaphragm to their lenses yet.
Skip the AF, no problems with that. How hard can a automatic diaphragm be to design?

It beats the Canon 24mm TS-E II on paper by offering +1mm Shift and +0.5 of tilt, and packs some 110 gram weight increase compared to the former (680 vs 570). Aspherical lenses and ED glass don't really sound like sub $1k to me...

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6762

raydee wrote:
http://www.samyang.pl/index.php/pl/samyang-t-s-24-mm-f35

No way this will be sub $1k

raydee -- Thanks for posting the FB link. It does look like a nicely made, sophisticated lens. Next, we'll have to find out if it can cut it optically, but it seems like a positive release.

I do miss electronic aperture -- I was happy to get away from the old Nikon 35/28 PC or Canon 35 TS with manual aperture!

I agree -- I'll be really surprised if it gets as low as $1000. I might be guessing high, but it seems more like $1200 would be the range their shooting for.

raydee

In the UK press release, the lens is touted "currently the most advanced lens produced by Samyang Optics." which too sounds like it won't go cheaply

http://www.samyang.co.uk/samyang-t-s-24mm-f35-ed-as-umc-lens.html

EOS20
Total Posts: 13638

Looks great, hopefully it won't be to expensive.

Red 90
Total Posts: 156

If samyang is able to produce this lens with decent optical quality, I think they will have a great hit on their hands. As canon users, we have a great bench mark of canons 24mmTSE-II and an option of the used market for the TSE-I, but for other manufacturers such as sony, pentax and to some extent Nikon, they don't have as many stellar offerings as canons.

The price point and optical quality will determine whether or not this is going to be successful in the canon market. If the lens is going to be in the 1K range, it needs to have optical quality superior to the 24mmTSE-I that can be had in the used market for about 900.00. Canon users will typically still favor canon produced products even at the same price point. If it can come close at matching the TSE-II optically, then I think there will be a market for people paying 1K for a third party lens.

Functionally, it does all of what canon's TSE lenses can do with the exception of automatic aperture and exif data. I think for people using a TSE lens, this is not a big handicap. What has plagued a lot of third party manufacture options are poor autofocus accuracy and speed, which is not an issue in this case.

Policar
Total Posts: 69

How is the range of movements relative to Canon's? Only being able to either tilt or shift seems par for the course, and if you can adjust that axis by 30 (is that right)? then you can effective tilt and shift at once. Does Canon have any limitations, like these 30 locks, or is it totally flexible?

Distortion might be an issue. The 14mm Samyang has TERRIBLE distortion, and a "scaled up" version of that would be completely unusable. You can't correct distortion with T/S lenses without isolating the optical center and I'm not sure what programs support that.

How similar is the optical design to Canon's? It seems like it might be a close copy, which would be good, but the lack of low dispersion elements might introduce CA.

Snopchenko
Total Posts: 2246

Interesting that this is probably going to be the first TS lens for the current Sony and Pentax cameras - probably there weren't any because there's no way to transmit lever driven aperture control past the TS mechanism (Nikon has invented the electro diaphragm for the TS lenses but Sony and Pentax probably have no workaround yet).

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Can shift and tilt work independently?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1528

Yakim Peled wrote:

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

In general, they should.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Wahoowa wrote:
Yakim Peled wrote:

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

In general, they should.

Well, the 24/3.5 Mk I couldn't.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17994

Yakim Peled wrote:

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I just updated the pictures on the first post.

Gunzorro

Yakim -- I believe the Canon V. 1 had independent tilt and shift functions. Otherwise, the lens would be pretty limited if you could only shift, or tilt, but not both at the same time. But the tilt direction can't be reset without disassembly in V.1.

I can't tell, but the Samyang appears the same -- it may not be possible to align the tilt with the shift. Can anyone tell?

Fred -- Thanks for the photo. The more I see, the better the lens looks for fit and finish.

Gunzorro

Looking closely at the photos: the first picture (showing the front lens element), shows the adjustment scales/knobs on the same side of the lens. On the other picture, the adjustment scales are on different sides. User adjustable dual axis, or prototype goofs?

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17994

Gunzorro wrote:
Looking closely at the photos: the first picture (showing the front lens element), shows the adjustment scales/knobs on the same side of the lens. On the other picture, the adjustment scales are on different sides. User adjustable dual axis, or prototype goofs?

Here is a section about it:
"To make Tilt-Shift function even more seamless, both the lens mount and the Tilt-Shift section may be rotated on the optical axis."

From the pictures it looks like it's user adjustable. I guess we will find out for sure in a couple weeks.

RogerC11
Total Posts: 2282

What's the filter size?

Gunzorro

Roger -- 82mm

Fred -- Yes, soon all will become clear(er).

jamato8
Total Posts: 2203

Looks very, very interesting. I used to shoot 8X10 and a lot of 4X5 but never had a tilt shift for 35mm. Would be nice at the price.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3932

Fred Miranda wrote:
EB-1 wrote:
Meh. Canon and Nikon both make a 24 tilt-shift lens. What we really need is something different, like a 35.

EBH

While we wait for that 35mm TSE, the Canon 24m f/3.5L TS-E II + 1.4 TC works great.
Canon shooters already have the best but what if this new lens comes close to its performance at 1/3 the price?

Yes. And that is what I really need to go tilt and shift ...

Ralph (wondering if "EB" stands for "extra bucks")

1       2      
       4       end