Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens announced!
/forum/topic/1145975/0

2       3       4       end

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17660

Samyang 24mm f/3.5 tilt-shift lens

At Photokina, Samyang is set to release its new T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC full-frame tilt-shift lens. It will support Canon EF, Nikon F, Pentax K and Sony A mounts.

"Optical design of the Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC comprises sixteen lenses arranged in eleven groups, including two aspherical lenses and two Extra Dispersion (ED) lenses. These elements enable the lens to perfectly reproduce detailed elements and provide superior optical performance even when using the tilt and shift (T-S) functionality. Furthermore, each optical component has been covered with multi-layered, anti-reflective UMC coatings, which provide superb light transmission, high contrast and natural colours. With sophisticated optics and developed T-S function, the Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC is currently the most advanced lens produced by Samyang Optics."

The tilt-shift function in the Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC allows for smooth and fine adjustment of the focal plane by an angle of +/-8.5 and enables parallel shift of the optical axis by +/-12 mm. To make Tilt-Shift function even more seamless, both the lens mount and the Tilt-Shift section may be rotated on the optical axis. The Tilt-Shift section may be rotated left by 90 degrees (with 30 degree adjustment), while mount of the lens may be rotated both in left and right direction by 90 degrees (with 30 degree adjustment). Pricing is to be announced."

To read the entire press release, click here.

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1526

Any guess how much it's gonna be.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20167

Wahoowa wrote:

Probably about 1/3 of the price for a TS-E 24/3.5L II... say, $650 US.

It'll be very interesting to see if it's as good as it's bretheren and sisteren.

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1526

jcolwell wrote:
Wahoowa wrote:

Probably about 1/3 of the price for a TS-E 24/3.5L II... say, $650 US.

It'll be very interesting to see if it's as good as it's bretheren and sisteren.

That's pretty close to the price of a used 24mm TS-E Mk. I.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33640

It will be very intersting to see the price. And also the performance of course

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

Yes, I am definitely pumped for this release. Samyang has great optics, and no AF is quite the norm in TS-E's anyway.

Fred Miranda

I'm not expecting Canon's build quality but Samyang has produced great optics at a very affordable price. Let's just hope quality control has improved. I will be comparing this lens with Canon's 24 TSE II as soon as I can.

vsg28

Samyang usually offers "acknowledged reviewers" a big discount on new lenses. You may want to keep an eye on that, Fred.

P.S. If you decide you don't like it and want to give it up, remember me

Fred Miranda

vsg28 wrote:
Samyang usually offers "acknowledged reviewers" a big discount on new lenses. You may want to keep an eye on that, Fred.

P.S. If you decide you don't like it and want to give it up, remember me

Canon already offers the best 24mm tilt and shift lens but its superb performance comes at a price.
I would not want to own one but it would be interesting to see how they compare.
Aside from image quality, let's hope the new Samyang will provide the ability to independently control the axes of shift and tilt.

vsg28

The picture, however bad it may be, suggests independent tilt and shift axes. Of course, this is provided that is indeed the real lens in the picture.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22248

Meh. Canon and Nikon both make a 24 tilt-shift lens. What we really need is something different, like a 35.

EBH

jcolwell

Fred Miranda wrote:
... let's hope the new Samyang will provide the ability to independently control the axes of shift and tilt.

Agreed. OTOH, the number of 'layers' apparent in the pre-release photo suggests it might have fixed axes w.r.t shift and tilt.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3320

According to a friend this looks like a carbon copy of the nikor 24mm, wonder how good the optics will be?

jcolwell

EB-1 wrote:
Meh. Canon and Nikon both make a 24 tilt-shift lens. What we really need is something different, like a 35.

EBH

That's where my Mirex M645 to EOS TS adapter comes in handy; 35mm, 55mm, 80mm, 120mm, and 150mm.

Fred Miranda

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

While we wait for that 35mm TSE, the Canon 24m f/3.5L TS-E II + 1.4 TC works great.
Canon shooters already have the best but what if this new lens comes close to its performance at 1/3 the price?

vsg28

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Canon also has a 14mm prime, but that didn't stop me from buying the Rokinon version at about 1/7th the cost and pretty similar optics. The issue here is quality-to-cost ratio.

pixelpix
Total Posts: 376

While I already have the 24mm Canon TS-E, this lens still excites me... even if it doesn't match the Canon IQ, it may be good enough to force Nikon into an update to their PC-E. Then again, it may be that good on it's own that the search for a better tilt-shift for our D800E will be over.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22248

The 24 TSE II is such a fine lens that I have no interest in any Samyang 24. Has Samyang ever made a wide lens without heavy distortion?

EBH

David Baldwin
Total Posts: 2829

Wow. This is very interesting news. I would be very interested indeed in an affordable 24mm tilt shift.

Now in the very unlikely event that the Samyang designers are reading this thread, what about a nice affordable 400mm f5.6 please.

jcolwell

David Baldwin wrote:
Wow. This is very interesting news. I would be very interested indeed in an affordable 24mm tilt shift.

Now in the very unlikely event that the Samyang designers are reading this thread, what about a nice affordable 400mm f5.6 please.

Note that all of the Samyang lenses are manual focus. I'm just sayin'..

2       3       4       end