Fall Color 2012
/forum/topic/1145323/12

1       2       3              12      
       14              18       19       end

quickking
Total Posts: 117

Hi Everyone,
Here is a shot of the morning sun shining on Blackwater Canyon Oct 1st. My first post; hope it comes out ok.

hsk06
Total Posts: 1071

tsln wrote:

Perfect, love this pic

Jet915
Total Posts: 280

quickking wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Here is a shot of the morning sun shining on Blackwater Canyon Oct 1st. My first post; hope it comes out ok.

Thanks for the update, I will be there this weekend, hopefully some of the color is still there...

garyroach
Total Posts: 2019

Drove over the Smokies to the Blue Ridge Parkway and up to Pisgah Inn. The good news is that there is more color in the mid elevations in the Smokies. The bad news is that the color is a dull brownish yellow. Some of the trees that have produced beautiful color in past years have already turned brown and dropped their leaves. The BRP is almost completely fogged in today. Graveyard Fields is past peak. Hopefully I'll have a better report tomorrow if the fog clears.

NCAndy
Total Posts: 1045

garyroach wrote:
Drove over the Smokies to the Blue Ridge Parkway and up to Pisgah Inn. The good news is that there is more color in the mid elevations in the Smokies. The bad news is that the color is a dull brownish yellow. Some of the trees that have produced beautiful color in past years have already turned brown and dropped their leaves. The BRP is almost completely fogged in today. Graveyard Fields is past peak. Hopefully I'll have a better report tomorrow if the fog clears.

If Graveyard Fields is past peak, there was no peak. I'll be up that way in the morning. Look for a white Prius with a bike rack on the back. Stop to say hi if you do.

burke1973
Total Posts: 180

Went up to Glade Creek Grist Mill on Sat morning. Beautiful color over the weekend.

Keith

Jman13
Total Posts: 10769

One from yesterday:

tcssas
Total Posts: 490

Vermont was fabulous this year...One from this weekend

NCAndy

Met up with FMer GaryRoach and another local photog on the BRP around Graveyard Fields in NC. The fog took a long time to lift and the colors still aren't great. We did get a few shots here and there though.

saaketham
Total Posts: 5664

I love it because of the fog. Fall colors - I can see plenty of photos already, but dense beautiful fog over wooded hills = awesome!!!

NCAndy

saaketham wrote:
I love it because of the fog. Fall colors - I can see plenty of photos already, but dense beautiful fog over wooded hills = awesome!!!

Thanks! The fog kept climbing over the ridges and we wondered if it would ever thin out. Here's another one from later in the morning.

voltaire
Total Posts: 1612

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their specific areas for fall colors and beautiful photos. Makes me want to skip work the next two days. :-) I hope to share my images next week after my drive up the Eastern Sierra Thursday afternoon into Sunday.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! It is much appreciated.

Steve Park
Total Posts: 1892

Eastern Sierra taken on past two days.

1. Sorenson's Resort
2. Mono Pass
3. South Lake

Caleb Jeffers
Total Posts: 356

Hello all, I was wondering how the fall colors are changing along
The smokey mountains, I have a photo vacation down that way
The 22nd of this month and have high hopes for good foliage!
Thank you in advance for the report take care

NCAndy

Gary drove through the Smokies yesterday so maybe he will chime in.

garyroach

It was nice to meet NCAndy and Terry on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. As Andy mentioned, when the fog finally lifted we were able to get some shots of the mountain tops rising up through the clouds. Unfortunately the color still isn't great and is even worse on the TN side of the mountains. I still have hope, though, that the maples will put on a show when the color hits the lower elevations later this month. Caleb, fwiw, I've yet to see a fall when there wasn't at least a few great days of color. Whether it will occur around the 22nd, we won't know until then. But, the last two weeks of October are usually a good time for color in the lower elevations. Hope you have a great trip.

kevindar
Total Posts: 2483

burke1973 wrote:
Went up to Glade Creek Grist Mill on Sat morning. Beautiful color over the weekend.

Keith

Love it.

dsjtecserv
Total Posts: 1633

Jet and others interested in the status of Blackwater Falls, Dolly Sods, and other areas of the West Virginia Allegheny highlands: I was there this past weekend through Tuesday, and it was just about perfect. Higher elevations were starting to lose some leaves, but still had lots of colors. Lower elevations were spectacular and are probably still at peak. On Monday there was wet snow at elevations above about 3000 feet, but no wind, so there wasn't much leaf loss. I think there may have been some more rain and wind over the last couple days, so that may have changed, and I think it is predicted to be a bit windy over the weekend. I'm planning on going back this weekend, but I think I'll target lower elevations.

Dave

Jet915
Total Posts: 280

dsjtecserv wrote:
Jet and others interested in the status of Blackwater Falls, Dolly Sods, and other areas of the West Virginia Allegheny highlands: I was there this past weekend through Tuesday, and it was just about perfect. Higher elevations were starting to lose some leaves, but still had lots of colors. Lower elevations were spectacular and are probably still at peak. On Monday there was wet snow at elevations above about 3000 feet, but no wind, so there wasn't much leaf loss. I think there may have been some more rain and wind over the last couple days, so that may have changed, and I think it is predicted to be a bit windy over the weekend. I'm planning on going back this weekend, but I think I'll target lower elevations.

Dave

Thanks for the update, I plan on hitting Blackwater and Douglas Falls and skip Dolly Sods/Spruce Knob. I assume those are past peak now. Then, I'll head south and check out the Falls of Hills and New River Gorge area.

garyroach

I was heading over to do the Cherohala Skyway today when I encountered an 18 wheeler which had managed to get stuck trying to get around a tight curve about half way through the Tail of the Dragon on US129. Like the comedian said, "There's no fixing stupid.". Anyway, there is very little color showing on the Foothills Parkway East or on what I saw of the Tail of the Dragon. I'll probably try it again some time next week. Hopefully that guy will be unstuck by then.

1       2       3              12      
       14              18       19       end