Fall Color 2012
/forum/topic/1145323/0

1
       2       3              18       19       end

garyroach
Registered: May 24, 2003
Total Posts: 1959
Country: United States

Has anyone started a fall color trip report yet? According to the locals on Tripadvisor, the aspen are already turning in the higher elevations in Colorado. I won't be there for two more weeks. Hope I time it right.

Let us know how the colors are coming along in your part of the world. Thanks.



billk55
Registered: Mar 26, 2006
Total Posts: 610
Country: United States

No, no, it's too soon!



garyroach
Registered: May 24, 2003
Total Posts: 1959
Country: United States

billk55 wrote:
No, no, it's too soon!


Sorry, I don't control the weather, I just report it!



jctriguy
Registered: Oct 04, 2004
Total Posts: 1077
Country: Canada

Nothing has changed in the Rockies (Alberta). Starting to get our first snap of cold weather and morning temps below freezing, so it won't be long

Last year peak season was around 3rd week of Sept for us (Larch Valley, Lake Louise, etc)



mamankyle
Registered: Aug 06, 2011
Total Posts: 1002
Country: N/A

Here in Carbondale, Co, about 30 miles down valley from Aspen and the Maroon Bells, the oaks are already starting to turn, as are some aspens higher up. I believe the color will be a couple of weeks earlier than normal. I have lived here 15 years and have not seen the leaves start turning so soon. I would be more than happy to post an occasional quick pic of some of the higher valley's over the next few weeks, if that would be helpful to anyone. The peak color last year was in the first few days of October, this was on the 5th:







Greg


ckcarr
Registered: Dec 02, 2006
Total Posts: 5566
Country: United States

Yep, sort of that way in the LaSal Mountains. Things slowly turning, but several weeks ahead of schedule. Must be the dryness.



garyroach
Registered: May 24, 2003
Total Posts: 1959
Country: United States

mamankyle wrote:
Here in Carbondale, Co, about 30 miles down valley from Aspen and the Maroon Bells, the oaks are already starting to turn, as are some aspens higher up. I believe the color will be a couple of weeks earlier than normal. I have lived here 15 years and have not seen the leaves start turning so soon. I would be more than happy to post an occasional quick pic of some of the higher valley's over the next few weeks, if that would be helpful to anyone. The peak color last year was in the first few days of October, this was on the 5th:







Greg

Scared me there for a moment. I thought the photo was taken this year at first. Yes, if you could keep us posted, that would be helpful. I'll be coming through Carbondale on the 19th.


Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3746
Country: United States

I will follow this closely, anyone local to the North Carolina mountains, near the Blue Ridge parkway...that is where my dad and I will spend 2+ days this year...first overnight photo trip.



garyroach
Registered: May 24, 2003
Total Posts: 1959
Country: United States

I live on the TN side of the Smokies, but venture over the mountain to the NC side and BR Parkway often when the leaves start to turn. I'm sure NCAndy will also let us know how things are progressing over there. But, don't expect much until we are well into October.



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3746
Country: United States

good to hear garyroach...our trip is planned for either the 13th or 20th of October. Scouring the web, it looks like the two middle weeks of October are usually good weeks, just wondering about things turning early this year.



garyroach
Registered: May 24, 2003
Total Posts: 1959
Country: United States

Travis Rhoads wrote:
good to hear garyroach...our trip is planned for either the 13th or 20th of October. Scouring the web, it looks like the two middle weeks of October are usually good weeks, just wondering about things turning early this year.


You probably already know that the higher elevations turn first then work their way down the mountains. We won't know if the color will be early for another month. Usually the last half of October is the peak time of the year. Last year they were done by the end of October. But, each year is a little different.



Digitaldog
Registered: Mar 08, 2006
Total Posts: 65
Country: United States

Headed to the San Juans the 2nd week of September - Crested Butte, Ouray, and Telluride - right thru the heat of aspen country and hope the report of early color are true. I hope to send reports while there.



garyroach
Registered: May 24, 2003
Total Posts: 1959
Country: United States

Digitaldog wrote:
Headed to the San Juans the 2nd week of September - Crested Butte, Ouray, and Telluride - right thru the heat of aspen country and hope the report of early color are true. I hope to send reports while there.


Great. I won't be there until the 3rd and 4th week. Leave some leaves for me to shoot!



gdanmitchell
Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Total Posts: 8974
Country: United States

You never know what will happen with aspens. However, one thing I have observed is that the schedule of the change rarely changes much at all. What does change is the way the transition progresses once it starts - depending upon weather and other issues. Of course, this year could well be one that proves me wrong!



NCAndy
Registered: Jan 13, 2006
Total Posts: 905
Country: United States

garyroach wrote:
Travis Rhoads wrote:
good to hear garyroach...our trip is planned for either the 13th or 20th of October. Scouring the web, it looks like the two middle weeks of October are usually good weeks, just wondering about things turning early this year.


You probably already know that the higher elevations turn first then work their way down the mountains. We won't know if the color will be early for another month. Usually the last half of October is the peak time of the year. Last year they were done by the end of October. But, each year is a little different.


Last year was early in the Smokies. This year though we've had plenty of moisture even though it was a hot summer. It's still very humid and warm but that will change by next weekend. Remember, the highest elevations while they do change first, have the least color. Last year places like Graveyard Fields on the BRP hit peak early in the first week of Oct. Usually I would expect peak there around the 12th or so. Last year the color was great but short lived. I'll report back as we get later into Sept.



mco_970
Registered: Apr 03, 2009
Total Posts: 5283
Country: United States

Lower elevations of the South San Juans are showing bits of color. There is some gold and some bright red showing now, the oaks are not really going crazy just yet (at 7,000' or so). Looks like the Fall colors might come a bit early this season due to the drought.



camerausername
Registered: May 15, 2010
Total Posts: 244
Country: United States

Salt Lake City is seeing pockets of color in the small trees and brush at the base of the mountains. I just hiked through some aspens today and they are still green but it looks like they are starting to get ready to change.



DejanS
Registered: Apr 15, 2009
Total Posts: 964
Country: United States

Here in Colorado, we've had a very dry summer. The colors are already starting to turn...peak may be a few weeks early.

Dejan



CarlG
Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Total Posts: 6314
Country: United States

Here in Florida, the leaves are green. They don't change to a light green until March.



Vern Dewit
Registered: Sep 27, 2006
Total Posts: 2422
Country: Canada

Fall is just starting in the Rockies. Noticed some reds and yellows on shrubs in the 4-5000 foot level last weekend (Sept 2).



1
       2       3              18       19       end