Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda
/forum/topic/1144877/1

3       4       end

Tim Kuhn
Total Posts: 45250

Excellent review Fred, very well written and the lack of hyperbole makes it that much nicer. If I didn't already have one I would be lusting for one now!!

Tim

ggreene
Total Posts: 2105

I'm sure it did I was really just commenting on the test itself not being a good way to show the increased tracking accuracy.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3298

Nice camera for sports/wildlife. Not that much convincing for landscapes (even tho high ISO capabilities might open very interesting opportunities).

I enjoyed pics tho, very nice stuff.. (more than any other review, but thats what happens when real pro photographer do review ).

araz
Total Posts: 752

"... As a landscape photographer myself, I would love to see a high megapixel camera with a sensor that prioritizes base ISO image quality with improved dynamic range and low signal-to-noise ratio at the expense of frames per second..."

Absolutely!

Hammy
Total Posts: 2845

Excellent review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

Conclusion

We are all different photographers. We shoot landscape, wildlife, sports, weddings, news, etc... the list goes on. Canon's answer for all of us is their new, one size fits all, pro-camera, the Canon EOS-1D X. But, trying to satisfy the masses is a daunting task.

THIS is what we ALL need to understand that Fred summed up in one sentence.
From Canon's perspective, they have a unibody design that tries to meet everybody's needs - all photo aspects and even video with their EOS-1DC. No more multi-body issues from design, manufacturing and support. There is no way Canon (or any manufacturer) can make a camera designed to exactly what each of us want...and be at a price that each of us would agree to pay!

The fact is, a camera is just a tool. One that we use to make our jobs easier, but ultimately, it's our job to wield our tools to form and fashion the end result to our liking. And in about 2-3 years time, the next new model will be out with newer, better features that we'll individually love or hate.

From our perspective, as unique photographers - it is what it is. This is Canon's pinnacle flagship camera, a culmination of all their best technology based on their history of experience. We need to use it to it's ability for what we do, or use something else. I know that... thanks to Fred's web site... I see amazing photos with just about any/every camera out there, so I know it's not the camera that makes a photo... it's the photographer!

Again, Fred, thanks for the honest review. It should help plenty of us know what to expect with the latest and greatest!

jamach
Total Posts: 6104

good review Fred, as all your reviews are, gear reviews from a photographer, and nice picks!

Joe

rprouty
Total Posts: 6838

Great thorough review Fred, it looks like a great camera. For our purposes we decided to go with two 1DMIVs and two 5DIIIs.

Rod

mco_970
Total Posts: 5290

Very nicely done, Fred. You should do wildlife photography more often.

SeverianTL
Total Posts: 316

Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you Fred. Fine review so far. Yes, How did you manage to rent the cheetah? I did not find a "cheetahrentals.com" anywhere.

Ralph

Fred's in Southern California, I think. Anything's possible in Hollywood. Just google "exotic animal actors". Even so, stunt cheetahs appear to be rather rare!

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6765

araz wrote:
"... As a landscape photographer myself, I would love to see a high megapixel camera with a sensor that prioritizes base ISO image quality with improved dynamic range and low signal-to-noise ratio at the expense of frames per second..."

Absolutely!

+1

Nice review, Fred!

jerbear00
Total Posts: 666

Thanks Fred! I think any camera looking amazing attached to a super tele... So sexy.

skibum5
Total Posts: 16761

Ralph, he's from southern California.
It would be weird if he didn't have a Cheetah for his house cat.

Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you Fred. Fine review so far. Yes, How did you manage to rent the cheetah? I did not find a "cheetahrentals.com" anywhere.

Would you be so kind and answer PPs and pipspeaks comments? I am interested in your suggestion/oppinion/experience, too.

Ralph

Pixel Perfect wrote:
So Fred, one thing you didn't really comment on in your excellent review, was do you really think the 1D X is worth the extra $3.2K over the 5D III? It's obviously a better camera overall, but 5D III is no slouch and even bests the 1D IV AF, with better IQ and is only 10% behind the 1D IV for pixel density.

pipspeak wrote:
Any comments on the focus point visibility that seems to have a lot of folks annoyed?

skibum5
Total Posts: 16761

John_T wrote:
Thank you Fred for a real photographer's review!

Unfortunately too many reviewers never make it out of the lab, approach it like trying to find life by dissecting a frog and are not satisfied until they have succeeded in meticulously killing it.

wait until part 2

John_T
Total Posts: 2889

Had some friends that had a pair of cheetahs as house cats. A little big as house cats go, but unlike house cats they would chase balls too so they didn't need a dog either.

Will Patterson
Total Posts: 4649

Fred, I love you, your photos are awesome, great review, but I have to ask - why such low-res low-quality photos in this review? I downloaded one that was 174 kb

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18000

Pixel Perfect wrote:
So Fred, one thing you didn't really comment on in your excellent review, was do you really think the 1D X is worth the extra $3.2K over the 5D III? It's obviously a better camera overall, but 5D III is no slouch and even bests the 1D IV AF, with better IQ and is only 10% behind the 1D IV for pixel density.

It is worth the money for those who need 12 FPS.
Otherwise, the 5D III is a great full frame alternative.
Take care,
Fred

markymarc
Total Posts: 284

Always impressed when folks have access to cheetahs to do their AF testing.

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

markymarc wrote:
Always impressed when folks have access to cheetahs to do their AF testing.

Totally agree. It's almost like how Top Gear tested the Bugatti Veyron against a jet just to see how quickly it goes.

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3620

@ Fred, thank you for your nicely balanced, informative review; your 5D3 and D800 side-by-side as well!; beautiful images throughout both posts! A 1DX is out of reach but not the 5D3...early next year cross fingers!

@ Ralph and All,

San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park are just down south of Fred, about 45/50 miles; less than an hour away, about 90 miles; an hour and 1/2 for me. If you ever get to the SoCal area they are both do-not-miss shooting destinations for those Cheetah like wild critters...there is Big-Cats-R-US if you dare

The California coastline ain't to bad either, Fred's San Clemente (it's downtown and pier), Newport and Huntington Beaches; NB's Back Bay, HB's Wetlands, Catalina Island, the LA beaches n canyons, Big Sur, Morro Bay, Missions galore (San Juan Capistrano is wonderful) and others, nor are several inland areas like Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, the Sequoias and there's that little valley of ours known as Yosemite!

Born and raised in SoCal, having surfed, sailed, hiked, climbed and now rolling about most of our golden state, I might be somewhat bias to it's beauty...naaaaaaaah

Jerry

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3932

@ StillFingerz:
As far I remember I have been 5 times in the States. I love NY. And San Franzisco.

3       4       end