Best Tablet for Photography?
/forum/topic/1144357/3

1       2       3      
4
       5       end

Sarsfield
Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Total Posts: 1642
Country: United States

I use aspirin.

I use something stronger...



davidnholtjr
Registered: Oct 14, 2009
Total Posts: 1754
Country: United States

knower wrote:
I spend a lot of time sorting out what to buy.

In the end I didn't find anything better than the Transformer Infinity Pad.

It has full HD resolution, which is enough for displaying pictures. Its screen is very very good and quite accurate.
Not as high res as the new Nexus, or the iPad, but who really cares?

I think the other things it offers are way more important for a photographer tablet.
I bought the dock, also, which basically makes the tablet a laptop.

In the tablet itself, apart from the internal memory, there is a microSD slot, which can be used to expand the memory. This is already a good thing.
But when you put the dock, things really change.
The dock has an extra battery and a USB 2 port, which means I can attach pretty much everything I want to it.
Notice that with a USB OTG cable you can plug things in the tablet itself, but the energy is limited so not many pheriperals can be plugged at the same time.
The dock solves that. Also there is a SD card reader in the dock, and a microHDMI connection.

Basically with this tablet I can use my cameras tethered, make a backup plugging the card reader OR using the SD card and an external hard drive, connect it to the TV for a slideshow or a workshop and many many more things.
Also having a keyboard to type is much better than typing on the tablet itself.

For me the versatility of this tablet pays more than the few extra geeky pixels.

Cheers,
G.




This sounds like a tab I'd like. I have the old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16gb w/ no micoSD slot and it's pretty much just good for web surfing.

Can this tab be upgraded to jellybean os? My samsung updated to it and it seemed to run better/faster.



lsquare
Registered: Apr 13, 2009
Total Posts: 626
Country: N/A

Arka wrote:
sjms wrote:
if you are just looking to look at your images then you get whatever your hearts desire. I had a ipad 3 w/retina display for about 4 months. though it did show the image in good resolution the colors were not as accurate as I had hoped after all the hype. the amount of additional cost/hardware reqd to control/operate and retrieve images due to the lack of universal porting (none) on these devices just made me wipe it and hand it over to my daughter who is also less then enamored with its capabilities. I see a future with the surface pro ($1000). yes it will cost initially with 128GB of space and the ability to add and remove up to 64GB micro SD cards. it's i5 cpu and intel 4000 video subsystem. it will not require the cloud (but can access it or any specific hardware for wired interface. it has a USB 3 port BT4. it has a full OS that runs real software. I doubt it will be color accurate. the images will be more then reasonable at its stated resolution of 1920 x 1080 on a 10.6" screen. built in displayport. much more too. I need tools that minimize peripheral junk that won't work or require additional adapters due to "product improvements". the ability to get stuff on and of with ease. just something that will not slow me down or make me buy proprietary hardware.

its not all about the pretty but how you can get there easy too.

at $499 the ipad w/32GB is half the price and about 25% of the capability.


I wish Surface Pro had released contemporaneously with RT... or that they hadn't even bothered with RT. The Pro product as hte potential to be very interesting.


I agree. I think the Surface Pro will be the definitive solution out there. It won't be cheap, but I think it provides good value. Plus, you can run Lightroom on it! 4GB isn't a whole lot in 2013, but it'll be sufficient for the things that you'll do in the field or in your hotel room. I'm definitely going to be getting one and I'll give my iPad 4 to my dad.



Bifurcator
Registered: Oct 22, 2008
Total Posts: 9300
Country: Japan

But the SP keyboards are pretty terrible aren't they? With a KB like that might as well just forgot one all together and use the on-screen one. That's what I thought when I evaluated them anyway...



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

there are 2 physical keyboard options. as to each ones "usefulness" it will be relative to the user.



Bifurcator
Registered: Oct 22, 2008
Total Posts: 9300
Country: Japan

Oh, there's two? That's cool!

But I can't agree on the relativity factor. There's not a person on the planet who likes or appreciates any of the qualities of a totally flat tactile-less "keyboard". Watch I'll prove it to you:

Anyone here like'm?

See? No one!




What's the other option BTW?



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

1- original touch cover
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/accessories/touch-cover

2- thicker more tactile type cover with short stroke mechanical keys
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/accessories/type-cover

using BT4 you will have 3rd party keyboard options already available in many sizes and shapes.

really desperate? just plug a USB keyboard into the Surfaces USB port

flat tactile less keyboards are the rage or didn't you know it. pretty much every android and apple based device that includes up to the ipad uses them as a primary data input. but using them sorta cuts into the visual space of your screen and also varies in size due to orientation. any of them using BT* or that have a usable hardware I/O port can sport a specifically designed keyboard

*probably with apple it must be a special approved higher priced version so they get their cut no matter what. this has been proven with real GPS units when off the cell grid.



Bifurcator
Registered: Oct 22, 2008
Total Posts: 9300
Country: Japan

Yeah, I've had a KB, mouse, XBox controller, and an external HDD connected to my Galaxy Note. Just plug them in and they work. Dunno about Apple but it's probably like you say.

But I think just because people are forced to use software keyboards doesn't mean anyone actually likes them.



justruss
Registered: Jul 05, 2004
Total Posts: 4533
Country: United States

Bifurcator wrote:
Yeah, I've had a KB, mouse, XBox controller, and an external HDD connected to my Galaxy Note. Just plug them in and they work. Dunno about Apple but it's probably like you say.

But I think just because people are forced to use software keyboards doesn't mean anyone actually likes them.



Yup. Pretty much the same with my Galaxy S3 (9300/International). With an AC-powered USB hub I can connect multiple peripherals (keyboard + mouse... or just use bluetooth), USB 2.0 card reader, and multiple, 500GB, usb-powered hard drives. So I can essentially use the phone (16GB + 64 GB MicroSD) to make multiple HDD backups of images from my cameras. I can also import GoPro or other video footage and it will play at full speed.

Pretty great way to stay light and have backups.



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

some will go "commando" and i did it too when i was younger. I have been waiting for the "inbetween" . I wanted more but less. i personally found a more balanced approach in the pro.



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

Just came back from the MS store after playing with the Surface Pro.
i5
4GB ram
128 GB SSD in a nicely sized usable package

used both types of snap on keyboards. I guess I adapt well as I could easily use both.

quick machine

4+hrs of use on battery (not great but i'll survive)

color is equivalent to my now daughters ipad. and the retina display really does not make a whole lotta difference when viewing on a 10.5 inch screen. so that is moot.

after removing the recovery partition and assorted not needed software I will have approx 80+GB of space to fill with my needs and that is not including the optional up to 64GB micro sdxc slot.

no I won't be putting PS or any other hardcore editing programs on it.

pretty good way to stay reasonably light and still have the power to do other things with minimal accessorizing.

will pick it up Saturday morning and I have 14 days to make it work my way or return it for refund.

oh I forgot. it can easily use other OS's too.



Bifurcator
Registered: Oct 22, 2008
Total Posts: 9300
Country: Japan

For me with those specs and for the purpose you mention I'd rather use a Galaxy tablet.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
10.1-inch Multitouch 720p HD Screen (1280 x 800)
16GB Internal Memory; microSD expansion up to 32GB
Wireless N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n); Bluetooth 3.0,GPS Enabled with Latitude, Google Maps
1GHz Dual-Core Processor
Weight: 1.3 pounds
L x W x H: 6.90 x 0.38 x 10.10 (inches)

For $270... and maybe add $50 or so for a class(10) 64GB microSD

And I guess next year's model will have USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 4.0 - which will make it just about perfect.



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

Bifurcator wrote:
For me with those specs and for the purpose you mention I'd rather use a Galaxy tablet.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
10.1-inch Multitouch 720p HD Screen (1280 x 800)
16GB Internal Memory; microSD expansion up to 32GB
Wireless N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n); Bluetooth 3.0,GPS Enabled with Latitude, Google Maps
1GHz Dual-Core Processor
Weight: 1.3 pounds
L x W x H: 6.90 x 0.38 x 10.10 (inches)

For $270



there you have it then.

GPS enabled with latitude? what the? all GPS unit give lat/long amongst other data. yeah the MS does not have GPS built in but has BT4.0 and i'm very happy about that. but not for the same reasons you would be.
but with all that and your wifi on they (and you know who) can find you so easily.



Bifurcator
Registered: Oct 22, 2008
Total Posts: 9300
Country: Japan

I think they meant to say Altitude... but...

Yeah I edited as you posted... pretty much the same thing about USB3 (critical IMO) and the bluetooth4.

And yeah, for sure... it's a spy device. No questions about that. It even has a camera and mic that can be remotely accessed when the device is turned off.



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

Bifurcator wrote:
I think they meant to say Altitude... but...

Yeah I edited as you posted... pretty much the same thing about USB3 (critical IMO) and the bluetooth4.

And yeah, for sure... it's a spy device. No questions about that. It even has a camera and mic that can be remotely accessed when the device is turned off.



but can it run my camera control software?
can it run most of my existing software?



Chris Noyes
Registered: Jun 23, 2007
Total Posts: 998
Country: United States

To me, the single most important thing a tablet will need to do is allow me to transfer my images from XQD or CF via USB 3 and allow me to comfortably view them. Then it can serve as my portable back-up device.

The ipad is useless to me because I can't easily get my images on it (both raw and jpg).

I can see how an upgraded Galaxy with USB 3 could do that job, but little more.

The Surface Pro, being a computer that runs full software packages as opposed to Apps is appealing but comes at considerably more expense, added weight and less battery life . . . tradeoffs that I can probably live with, but will wait to see how others fare with it before taking the plunge myself.



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

yeah, i'll buy in. got my ipad for free a few months ago by winning it (imagine, something I thought to be so useless and I win it and in the end proved to be just that) so no harm no foul. money not wasted on junk food. also looking into the sony duo 11. 8gb ram and 256GB. bigger screen by an inch too. just sort of down on sony's data product history

it would take a bit more then those minor upgrades to make a usable product out of the galaxy. don't kid yourself.



1KIND
Registered: Feb 01, 2011
Total Posts: 337
Country: United States

davidnholtjr wrote:
knower wrote:
I spend a lot of time sorting out what to buy.

In the end I didn't find anything better than the Transformer Infinity Pad.

It has full HD resolution, which is enough for displaying pictures. Its screen is very very good and quite accurate.
Not as high res as the new Nexus, or the iPad, but who really cares?

I think the other things it offers are way more important for a photographer tablet.
I bought the dock, also, which basically makes the tablet a laptop.

In the tablet itself, apart from the internal memory, there is a microSD slot, which can be used to expand the memory. This is already a good thing.
But when you put the dock, things really change.
The dock has an extra battery and a USB 2 port, which means I can attach pretty much everything I want to it.
Notice that with a USB OTG cable you can plug things in the tablet itself, but the energy is limited so not many pheriperals can be plugged at the same time.
The dock solves that. Also there is a SD card reader in the dock, and a microHDMI connection.

Basically with this tablet I can use my cameras tethered, make a backup plugging the card reader OR using the SD card and an external hard drive, connect it to the TV for a slideshow or a workshop and many many more things.
Also having a keyboard to type is much better than typing on the tablet itself.

For me the versatility of this tablet pays more than the few extra geeky pixels.

Cheers,
G.




This sounds like a tab I'd like. I have the old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16gb w/ no micoSD slot and it's pretty much just good for web surfing.

Can this tab be upgraded to jellybean os? My samsung updated to it and it seemed to run better/faster.

Asus Transformer Infinity has Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box. I just bought one and it was 4.0.3. After connecting it to my network, there was and Asus update. Didn't check to see what version it was on but if it wasn't upgraded to JB, it will get Jellybean update once its released. The Infinity is Asus' flagship tablet.



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 19408
Country: United States

i guess you'll have to wait and see.



Arka
Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Total Posts: 10709
Country: United States

sjms wrote:
i guess you'll have to wait and see.


I'll take a Windows 8 device over an iOS/Android cripple-tab any day of the week. I was really impressed with Surface Pro and might pick one up myself. I think I'll spring for a BT keyboard though, and I will definitely put a copy of PS and Painter on it. The included stylus is sweet for drawing and sketching.

Arka C.



1       2       3      
4
       5       end