Best Tablet for Photography?
/forum/topic/1144357/1

3       4       5       end

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11980

Chez, if you have the Camera connection kit you dont need to use drop box .
as long as you keep the 7 digit file number (I think you could change the file name as long as the result is 7 digits) you can save you images to an sd card and import them into the ipad from that .
All you have to do is use a card that has the DCIM folder on it. and stick you images in there (the ipad is only looking for the DCIM folder.

OR
I have just found a nifty little device that I can use when I dont have access to Wifi and dont want to kill my Mobile data allowance all in one go.
Its called AIRSTASH . it takes any SD card and will send images pretty quickly to the camera roll on the ipad.
The best bit about that device for me is its one of only 2 devices i have seen that will send images the other way. I can send images off the ipad for safe keeping on an SD card. which is really handy when you are running out of space on the ipad (I have a 64gig ipad and still get close to running out of space sometimes. before I had a 32gig that was too easy to fill).

the way I see it is the Airstash cost me less than a years paid access to dropbox .

SoundHound
Total Posts: 5325

The iPad III has the "Retina" display which is higher rez than most/all pro monitors. I don't like Apple's photo file system one bit (although the embedded slide show function is handy) nevertheless, I have the iPad III because nothing else in that class makes my pictures look as good.

jerbear00
Total Posts: 666

Sorry apple. Resolution rocks

Edward Castro
Total Posts: 1189

I know it's an old thread, but it seems like there's a new boss in town regarding PPI. Nexus 10 with a 2560x1600 resolution. Screen quality wise, that's still to been seen. Here's the rest of the specs:

Dual-core, Cortex A15-based 1.7 GHz Samsung Exynos 5250 CPU
Mali T604 GPU
Stereo speakers
2GB of RAM
NFC
802.11 b/g/n (MIMO + HT40) WiFi
Bluetooth 4.0
Front and rear NFC (Android beam) radios
5-megapixel rear camera
1.9-megapixel front camera
Weight 603g
8.9mm thick
microUSB
Pogo Pin
microHDMI
3.5mm headphone jack
16GB wifi $400/32GB wifi $500

What sucks is no memory expansion, so 32GB is the highest you can go, I'm sure later they'll come out with a 64GB version one.

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11980

Edward Castro wrote:
I know it's an old thread, but it seems like there's a new boss in town regarding PPI. Nexus 10 with a 2560x1600 resolution. Screen quality wise, that's still to been seen.

What sucks is no memory expansion, so 32GB is the highest you can go, I'm sure later they'll come out with a 64GB version one.

The memeory thing is where most of these devices fall down.

All these producers seem to be obsessed with the cloud for the storage . Well that only works if you have good 3G or even better 4G (whatever they are calling it now) , which is fine but that generaly means running up your data allowance for stuff which is already yours or like most 'normal world' places you can't access your stuff.
Even if you do have a good connection things don't always run well. My daughter has a moto zoom2 which lacks the memory slot of the zoom 1 , but according to Motorola it shouldn't matter as they have MOTOCAST which allows access to all your media on the host PC . Well even in the same house on a decent wifi the connection is rubbish. Tethered to my android phone in a good 3G reception area it's total cr@p

He'll I'm running a 64gig iPad and I have a couple of films on it , a good collection of magazines , a selection of apps (probably not as many as a lot of people) and a few downloads of images that I have imported from my shoots. I have NO music (I have an iPod for my music) and the last time I looked I had less than 15gb of spare space .
I had a 32gig version before that was just too easy to fill up.

I was surprised when the new version iPad was launched (seems like they just wanted to get the new dock onboard ) that they didn't ditch the 16gig version of the new ipad (keep the old ipad 2 at an even better base price) and bring out a 128gb version . They could have quite easily priced the new larger memory versions at the old lesser memeory prices

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1693

bushwacker wrote:

Hello:

Just asking what's the best tablet for showing your pics\portfolio to clients?

A lot of people say iPad.... sad to say I don't like iPads... any other suggestions?

Curious, why don't you like iPads? Most people I've met who say they don't like apple products have never used them. If you've used an iPad and compared it to the other garbage on the market, there is no way you will not like them. There's a reason they are dominating the market.

Edward Castro
Total Posts: 1189

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Edward Castro wrote:
I know it's an old thread, but it seems like there's a new boss in town regarding PPI. Nexus 10 with a 2560x1600 resolution. Screen quality wise, that's still to been seen.

The memory thing is where most of these devices fall down

You know I was thinking, if they could do a µUSB dongle that would hug and look like it's somewhat part of the unit on the side, to offer way larger memory expansion, I'd be oko with that. I rather have that then a wire or usb stick protruding out from the unit.

rprouty
Total Posts: 6838

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T
I bought one with 64GB, screen resolution is 1920x1200..
I works for me.

PennsyBill
Total Posts: 748

The new "Mini-iPad" is only a bit smaller and a lot less $$$

BenV
Total Posts: 8158

Google has the Nexus 10, highest resolution of any tablet and an awesome CPU/GPU

cohenfive
Total Posts: 2945

i'm looking forward to seeing what a 'full' win8 surface tablet can do..that might be just the ticket as it has all the connectivity (usb/hdmi) and can run ps, although it might pay to wait until they put a higher resolution screen into it...that was a bit of a blunder imo...hopefully a better screen will be announced when they release the win8 versions in a few months. the competition in tablets is really great for consumers now, as there are clearly viable alternatives available or soon to be..

RyanL
Total Posts: 118

Sorry to revive this yet again. I am so torn on this as well. I don't mind Apple products, we have 3 ipod touches, and a slew of other ipods around. But for the price of a 32gb ipad 4($599), I think there may be other viable options.

I am thinking of going with Galaxy Note 10.1. Layers on a tablet?? I like the idea, granted its PS Touch, but its quite a little capable machine hardware wise. I would like to be able to do client proofing, tether, maybe a little quick edit (in reality probably none). 32GB $549

Or a more economical approach would be the Motorola Xoom, which you can fine near $300.

Anyone have the Note? or the Xoom and find it suitable?

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1693

RyanL wrote:
Sorry to revive this yet again. I am so torn on this as well. I don't mind Apple products, we have 3 ipod touches, and a slew of other ipods around. But for the price of a 32gb ipad 4($599), I think there may be other viable options.

I am thinking of going with Galaxy Note 10.1. Layers on a tablet?? I like the idea, granted its PS Touch, but its quite a little capable machine hardware wise. I would like to be able to do client proofing, tether, maybe a little quick edit (in reality probably none). 32GB $549

Or a more economical approach would be the Motorola Xoom, which you can fine near $300.

Don't bother with the garbage, just buy a refurb iPad 3 with the retina for $469. They are good as new with the same warranty, I have bought several
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC706/refurbished-ipad-with-wi-fi-32gb-black-3rd-generation

RyanL
Total Posts: 118

Tethering to an ipad though is still not available though correct, without an eyefi? I shoot with a 7d which only has CF, and eyefi doesnt support CF.

allan473
Total Posts: 91

+1 on the iPad. I really want to use Android, and I love my Asus 700T but the images displayed on the iPad 3 (sadly) look so much better than they do on my Asus.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3543

BenV wrote:
Google has the Nexus 10, highest resolution of any tablet and an awesome CPU/GPU

The best presentation comes from the best screen.

richuwo11
Total Posts: 55

RyanL wrote:

Take a look at the Nexus 10. Higher resolution than the latest iPad and much cheaper.

Also fyi to many people who don't know this already, but you can purchase cables for ~$5 to use on Android tablets and connect a USB drive to it if you're limited by storage capacity. You can also purchase another cable for ~$10 to connect to your TV of choice using HDMI.

sjms
Total Posts: 19377

if you are just looking to look at your images then you get whatever your hearts desire. I had a ipad 3 w/retina display for about 4 months. though it did show the image in good resolution the colors were not as accurate as I had hoped after all the hype. the amount of additional cost/hardware reqd to control/operate and retrieve images due to the lack of universal porting (none) on these devices just made me wipe it and hand it over to my daughter who is also less then enamored with its capabilities. I see a future with the surface pro ($1000). yes it will cost initially with 128GB of space and the ability to add and remove up to 64GB micro SD cards. it's i5 cpu and intel 4000 video subsystem. it will not require the cloud (but can access it or any specific hardware for wired interface. it has a USB 3 port BT4. it has a full OS that runs real software. I doubt it will be color accurate. the images will be more then reasonable at its stated resolution of 1920 x 1080 on a 10.6" screen. built in displayport. much more too. I need tools that minimize peripheral junk that won't work or require additional adapters due to "product improvements". the ability to get stuff on and of with ease. just something that will not slow me down or make me buy proprietary hardware.

its not all about the pretty but how you can get there easy too.

at $499 the ipad w/32GB is half the price and about 25% of the capability.

demdo
Total Posts: 124

I can't say that I'm a big fan of the full size iPad, but the mini does it for me. It's a superb device. Paired with eye-fi, its a truly wonderful setup.

binary visions
Total Posts: 2308

Something else to consider... the Nexus 10 is $399 and has the highest resolution screen on the market... plus a little more flexible and universal than the iPad.

edit: oops, it's already been suggested... I replied to the first page, not noticing the second page.

3       4       5       end