Leica 1600mm f/5.6 for only $2 Million!
/forum/topic/1143953/2

1       2      
       end

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5551

Eh, I'm whining for no good reason. 400mm-800mm isn't all that difficult to aim. If I ever manage to get my hands on the 2x focus module and use it with the 2x extender, maybe I'll just mount a rifle scope on the handle.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15117

Bloody nice lens, btw. I am jealous Even though I don't use teles much.

dcjs
Total Posts: 381

freaklikeme wrote:...maybe I'll just mount a rifle scope on the handle.

My first thought was why not just use a reddot sight. Much more useful and noone would notice the additional cost and weight anyway.

freaklikeme

carstenw wrote:
Bloody nice lens, btw. I am jealous Even though I don't use teles much.

Yeah, it's the culmination of a three + year search, and twice I almost bought first version 400/2.8s, but for perhaps the first time in my life, I exercised a little patience and it paid off. If I can find a 2x module at a price I can live with before next spring, there will be one happy (frozen) camper trying to get photos of polar bears emerging from their dens and making the long trek toward food.

freaklikeme

dcjs wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:...maybe I'll just mount a rifle scope on the handle.

My first thought was why not just use a reddot sight. Much more useful and noone would notice the additional cost and weight anyway.

True, but I'm thinking some caution might be best exercised in use, particularly on rooftops or out building windows into crowds below.

cputeq
Total Posts: 4672

The sights are for spotting. My wimpy Minolta 600mm 5.6 has a front and rear sight post also, helps a lot trying to pick out targets.

Down the lens sights. by J L Smith, on Flickr

neilvan
Total Posts: 494

Just imagine how much a UV filter would be for this! ;-)

LightShow
Total Posts: 4908

Lenscap replacement is $3000.

Nour
Total Posts: 5

I think he needs it so he can check out the ladies from a far distance so he can add some to his Harim!

MarkJones
Total Posts: 112

The Zeiss 1700f4 lens is for a medium format camera (Haselbad) and apparently cost $5m and even then they made a loss on it.

Copypaste
Total Posts: 413

FlyPenFly wrote:
This is a bit too mainstream for me.

What he said! Haha

sorpa
Total Posts: 310

MarkJones wrote:
The Zeiss 1700f4 lens is for a medium format camera (Haselbad) and apparently cost $5m and even then they made a loss on it.

He got a state of the art, over-engineered, titanium made adapter to the camera of his choice. Me thinks Olympus. Obvious reasons.

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1526

Dang, I was about to list mine for $3 million in the B&S forum. Now, I got to go for $2 million.

1       2      
       end