#516 Lonely ol' Cap
/forum/topic/1143669/0

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

True story! For the life of me, I could not figure out where I had placed the lens cap of my Canon 70-200 IS II. I knew I had taken the lens out of my bag the afternoon on Thursday and I usually place the cap in the pocket of my shorts/jeans.

Fast forward 15 minutes and I just can't find it! No way I was going to let this lens be "unprotected", a UV filter was just not enough. Onto eBay/Amazon/Adorama/B&H and after a lot of search I went from choosing a $0.99 knockoff from Hong Kong, to a $8 Tamron center pinch lens to finally a genuine Canon E-77U which was here Saturday.

Fast forward to Sunday evening, and I go to collect my laundry from the dryer and I see what happens to be my entry for WA #516:

vsg28

Turns out I had placed and forgotten it in the back pocket of my jeans as my regular pocket for the cap had my phone in it. On a positive note, I know Canon caps are super quality plastic for sure! It survived a full wash cycle and a hot dryer cycle and came out unscathed

Pete A
Total Posts: 588

At least it's clean now.

vsg28

That is true

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3881

I did this over the weekend with a flash drive...it still works. Glad you found your cap, nice entry.

vsg28

Thanks, I was hoping others would have done similar things.

Glad your flash drive is ok too.

Travis Rhoads

I actually misplaced a cap and could not find it for almost a year, it was in the pocket of the jacket I wore to shoot on a cool spring morning...didn't find it until I went to get that jacket out the next spring...then proceeded to drop the cap over a cliff on the next outing!

vsg28

That ending to your post seems straight out of a M. Night Shyamalan movie. What happened?

Travis Rhoads

, I was out on a shoot last spring, standing next to the edge of a waterfall and was changing lenses, when I grabbed one out of the bag, the lens cap was not tight, it caught the edge of the bag and away it went over the edge of the falls...never to be seen again. That cap did not want to be found. It too was a Canon 77mm cap...

vsg28

Better the lens cap than the lens itself though!

Travis Rhoads

No doubt about that!

relms
Total Posts: 2068

I don't recommend this method for cleaning a ND filter. I had a nice (read expensive) B+W ND filter in a soft case stuck down in the pocket of a pair of cargo shorts. When I started removing clothes from the dryer I felt something in the pocket, and I was surprised to find that it was a filter case, and sickened to find that the glass had not survived the pounding that it had taken in the dryer. I must remember to either (1) remove such items before doing laundry, or (2) always use the gentle cycle.

Robert