How noisy is your 7D?
/forum/topic/1143454/25

1       2       3              25      
       27       28       end

Matt Ward
Total Posts: 282

The attached photo was shot at ISO6400 with a 7D and 17-35/2.8L. I was new to the 7D and wanted to see what it would really do. There was some mood light in the cave and I shot from a monopod. I can dig up the original JPEG and get more stats from the exif dat. I still mainly shoot JPEG, because I do not understand the RAW workflow and do not have the expensive PS add-ons to work with. BTW, finding a good PS class in central IL is not easy. Any suggestions for something online that will not break the bank. I have been shooting for 30+ years and finally bought PS about 6 months ago and really do not understand masking and layers or fine tuning a photo.

I am an advanced amateur, and this camera is awesome for me. I would still like a FF body, but that is just a dream unless I go with a 5Dc. I still shoot with a 20D at school softball with a 24-70/2.8L.

aladyforty
Total Posts: 1727

I know this thread is old and HUGE, just spent best part of an hour scanning through the posts. Anyway can anyone give me some advice on shooting landscapes with 7D? I notice all the talk in here about this camera is wildlife/birds and action. I have a 5DII but in my opinion while great for landscapes and portraits it just does not cut it for birds, especially in flight. I am heading off on a holiday in November to an Island with a massive amount of bird-life and wonderful landscapes. I'm limited to one camera due to weight restrictions and think 7D will do landscape better than 5DII will do birds. I see so many wonderful landscapes taken with 7D online, but I'm yet to achieve anything as good so any advice would be appreciated

BrianO
Total Posts: 8547

aladyforty wrote: ...can anyone give me some advice on shooting landscapes with 7D? ...I'm limited to one camera due to weight restrictions and think 7D will do landscape better than 5DII will do birds.

Shoot at the lowest ISO at which you can get a proper exposure with a fast shutter and a medium aperture, and shoot in raw capture.

Expose to the right, but not too far to the right. I've found that my 7D files aren't very forgiving of over-exposure or under-exposure.

If your dynamic range exceeds nine or ten stops, you may want to use bracketing to do an HDR merge, use a graduated ND filter, etc. The 7D just barely has an 11-stop DR, whereas your 5D Mark II is a little over 12 stops.

cameron12x
Total Posts: 1700

My EOS-M is less noisy than my 7D was.

At least the EOS-M JPG engine produces cleaner files.

aladyforty

mmm I have seen some pretty stunning landscapes online from 7Ds and to be honest I prefer the colours, the 7D seems to pop more, only going on what Ive seen. Love my full frame but the 7D seems to be the better all round camera. Would prefer to take it rather than struggle with birds on the 5DII although I know it can do it, I will practice for the next couple of months then see which one will be the better choice

John Mills
Total Posts: 376

I have been recently scanning a lot of shots from 135 film from 50 ISO (transparency) to 3200 ISO (negative), and the film noise (grain), is out of this world compared to the ISO's of digital. I think we forget how good we have it today compared to the film years. ISO 100 film does not even rate against ISO 800 digital.

aladyforty

John Mills wrote:
I have been recently scanning a lot of shots from 135 film from 50 ISO (transparency) to 3200 ISO (negative), and the film noise (grain), is out of this world compared to the ISO's of digital. I think we forget how good we have it today compared to the film years. ISO 100 film does not even rate against ISO 800 digital.

yes I guess we are spoiled

jhayesvw
Total Posts: 294

I agree. We do have it very good.
Change ISO on the fly.
Take as many shots as we want.
Manipulate anything in the photo.

its crazy what we can do compared to 25 years ago.

Chris Anthony
Total Posts: 378

jhayesvw wrote:
I agree. We do have it very good.
Change ISO on the fly.
Take as many shots as we want.
Manipulate anything in the photo.

its crazy what we can do compared to 25 years ago.

And yet people still complain that modern gear isn't good enough...

BrianO

jhayesvw wrote: ...its crazy what we can do compared to 25 years ago.

Chris Anthony wrote: And yet people still complain that modern gear isn't good enough...

A rising tide raises all boats.

MarcG19
Total Posts: 279

BrianO wrote:
aladyforty wrote: ...can anyone give me some advice on shooting landscapes with 7D? ...I'm limited to one camera due to weight restrictions and think 7D will do landscape better than 5DII will do birds.

Shoot at the lowest ISO at which you can get a proper exposure with a fast shutter and a medium aperture, and shoot in raw capture.

Expose to the right, but not too far to the right. I've found that my 7D files aren't very forgiving of over-exposure or under-exposure.

If your dynamic range exceeds nine or ten stops, you may want to use bracketing to do an HDR merge, use a graduated ND filter, etc. The 7D just barely has an 11-stop DR, whereas your 5D Mark II is a little over 12 stops.

How is this different from "getting optimal results out of any digital camera"?........................

(question's rhetorical. )

Chris Anthony

BrianO wrote:
jhayesvw wrote: ...its crazy what we can do compared to 25 years ago.

Chris Anthony wrote: And yet people still complain that modern gear isn't good enough...

A rising tide raises all boats.

Agreed, the output is getting better, but it does get tiring to hear(read) people moaning(repeatedly) about how bad canon's sensors are, when the reality is that if that energy was spent learning the craft of photography the so-called short-comings of modern gear becomes moot. I know that, personally, my output depends far more on getting the light right and composing a good scene and then working the file to a final image, than whether or not my 7D is too noisy, or my 100-400 doesn't have the latest and greatest IQ and IS...etc.
When I look at images on this site, Naturescape.net and google+(the three primary photo sites I visit) it's very rare that I think about sensor IQ, I never find myself saying OMG that must have been taken with a sony sensor, or wow that canon sensor sure looks like sh!t. My reaction is based on light, composition and emotion, which is purely a personal thing. I know my opinion is worth nothing, but I truly feel that far too many people get caught up in the technology rather than the art and theory of Photography, which I believe is lost on a lot of people these days.

BrianO

MarcG19 wrote: How is this different from "getting optimal results out of any digital camera"?

It's not; which was my point.

Imagemaster
Total Posts: 34274

aladyforty

the problem I have with 7D is the light is not always available when you are on a trip as a tourist, I've found 7D requires good light and then you get awesome results...on the other hand I seem to be able to use my 5DII in most conditions....The problem is tossing up between the two cameras over the subjects, birdlife with the 7D is great (if the lighting is good) and not so great with 5DII but it can be done. I just have to work out what is going to be more important on this trip, the scenery or the birds :-)

Jeff Nolten
Total Posts: 1610

aladyforty wrote:
the problem I have with 7D is the light is not always available when you are on a trip as a tourist, I've found 7D requires good light and then you get awesome results...on the other hand I seem to be able to use my 5DII in most conditions....

This is exactly what I have found and I always opt to take the 5D over the crop. But then as a tourist the majority of my emphasis is in the <= 100 mm range and wildlife using my 100-400 only about 10% of my final processed images (although the most fun). The 5D2 + 100-400 does better for bird/animal portraits within its range, but cannot compete with a 7D for capturing action. If you expect your travels to include much BIF or chetahs on the hunt then it would be a hard decision.

FWIW, I've decided to go with a 5D3 as my "one body does it all" solution. A 1.4x on the 100-400 and Lightroom render the reach differences mute IMHO, but I realize I'm sacrificing that 10% of the final 10% where the 7D would still perform better. The 5D3 is an improvement over the 5D2 in really bad light.

OTOH, if you follow BrianO's advice and use a good lens, at least a 15-85, you should get fine landscape images. From your postings, I'm sure you know all this. Let us know what you decide. Cheers.

aladyforty

Im still pondering It will be heading into our summer (a week off it actually) so light should not be too bad....I keep asking myself which one I will regret the most, lack of reach or awesome landscape quality. Lord Howe Island is known for the many birds and I know you can get close to them but to have really good close ups with the 7D would be nice. To be honest what I find better about the 5DII is that I can push the photos more in post processing. Life used to be way easier when I just had the one camera, I'm spoiled now. I'm still trying to work out how some of the shots I see online of landscapes by 7D are soooo good. I'm no landscape photographer that's for sure.

Chris Anthony

aladyforty wrote:
I'm still trying to work out how some of the shots I see online of landscapes by 7D are soooo good. I'm no landscape photographer that's for sure.

It simple, photographers make great photos(regardless of camera) and gear heads complain loudly that there gear is holding them back...

aladyforty

Chris Anthony wrote:
aladyforty wrote:
I'm still trying to work out how some of the shots I see online of landscapes by 7D are soooo good. I'm no landscape photographer that's for sure.

It simple, photographers make great photos(regardless of camera) and gear heads complain loudly that there gear is holding them back...

your probably right to a degree, I will work it out. Pity I cant afford 5DIII, it would solve all my issues

Liquidstone
Total Posts: 1419

aladyforty wrote:
Pity I cant afford 5DIII, it would solve all my issues

I use both the 7D and 5D3 and if forced to bring only one body to shoot birds and landscape, I'll opt for the 7D.

1       2       3              25      
       27       28       end