How noisy is your 7D?
/forum/topic/1143454/24

1       2       3              24      
       26       27       28       end

mikeengles
Total Posts: 275

Hello

I have a suspicion that he did not hand hold.

Mike Engles

EOS20
Total Posts: 13638

Here's a very noisy 7D!

http://www.unfinishedman.com/speaker-shaped-like-canon-slr-camera/

Ed Swift
Total Posts: 1706

Just wanted to say what an interesting thread this is. Only made it to page 8 so far but even so I think I've found some tips for my 40d processing as well which is very nice.

brimull
Total Posts: 1597

I just posted this image in another 7D-related thread. I agree that the 7D has limitations, but excels when reach, or pixel density, is critical along with high IQ. IMO it remains an amazing photographic tool. I use Neat Image or Topaz Denoise as a Photoshop plug-ins for 7D (or any other camera's) noise issues. I used to prefer Topaz, but it's annoyingly slow. Neat Image is quicker. I think I used Neat in this image for mild to moderate noise in the sky.

This very young Bald Eagle was perched far away, and I was unable to get any closer. The longest lens combination I had available was a 300mm 2.8 plus 2x extender. I took this and even with the cropping can print 11 x 14 and even larger while keeping a high degree of sharpness.

I sold my original 7D about a year back, but a few months ago I purchased a refurbished model because I kept finding myself in situations where I wished I still had it.

aladyforty
Total Posts: 1818

I have two 7D in my house and have noticed the one purchased earlier is noisier than the newer one, go figure. Anyway, yes I find the files a bit noisy especially when its dull conditions but I need a 1.6 crop camera for the times when I need reach as my longest lens is a 100-400L and I don't see myself carrying bigger heavier lenses around. I just use my 7D for birds and wildlife mainly and after processing have managed to get some very nice images

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19910

I have a feeling the earlier 7D's were worse; seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence supporting this.

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 4573

how noisy is this:

Liquidstone
Total Posts: 1473

Ed Swift wrote:
Just wanted to say what an interesting thread this is. Only made it to page 8 so far but even so I think I've found some tips for my 40d processing as well which is very nice.

Glad you found the epic thread interesting, Ed.

brimull wrote:
I just posted this image in another 7D-related thread. I agree that the 7D has limitations, but excels when reach, or pixel density, is critical along with high IQ. IMO it remains an amazing photographic tool. I use Neat Image or Topaz Denoise as a Photoshop plug-ins for 7D (or any other camera's) noise issues. I used to prefer Topaz, but it's annoyingly slow. Neat Image is quicker. I think I used Neat in this image for mild to moderate noise in the sky.

This very young Bald Eagle was perched far away, and I was unable to get any closer. The longest lens combination I had available was a 300mm 2.8 plus 2x extender. I took this and even with the cropping can print 11 x 14 and even larger while keeping a high degree of sharpness.

I sold my original 7D about a year back, but a few months ago I purchased a refurbished model because I kept finding myself in situations where I wished I still had it.

Superb details even with the dark plumage... well done, Brian!

kouasupra1
Total Posts: 102

anthonysemone wrote:
how noisy is this:

Try it at 6400 ISO.

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9819

kouasupra1 wrote:
anthonysemone wrote:
how noisy is this:

Try it at 6400 ISO.

The 7D does controls noise a little better at ISO 160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500 and 5000. I'd only use 3200 and 6400 in a pinch.

anthonysemone

kouasupra1 wrote:
anthonysemone wrote:
how noisy is this:

Try it at 6400 ISO.

And the reason for "trying it out at 6400" would be?

garydavidjones
Total Posts: 440

I use the 7D when I need extra "reach" shooting birds and small critters.
I have been impressed with its LACK of noise. Have gotten stunningly
clear close-ups of distant chimps for example. The chimp photos give
you the feeling of being almost face-to-face with them.

However, that said, I use my 5D2 for macro and 5D3 for action as the
5D3 has better AF and better performance at high ISOs.

anthonysemone

resized only to put it up here and hand held

Imagemaster
Total Posts: 35006

kouasupra1 wrote:
anthonysemone wrote:
how noisy is this:

Try it at 6400 ISO.

Imagemaster
Total Posts: 35006

to all the noisy 7D's

anthonysemone

Indeed, every time I shoot my 7D, it's so noisy I have to put on my hearing protectors I use for my rifle range

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19910

ISO 6400 from page 2 of the thread

time2clmb
Total Posts: 351

^what detail?

Liquidstone
Total Posts: 1473

Imagemaster wrote:
to all the noisy 7D's

Creamy OOF areas and tons of details, Tony!

Yes, the 7D can be used at lower ISOs too.

Long-tailed Shrike (Lanius schach)
Canon 7D + 500 f4 L IS + Canon 1.4x II, 700 mm, ISO 160, 1/400 sec, f/7.1, manual exposure in available light, bean bag, near full frame.

sritri
Total Posts: 3353

That is an awesome shot Romy. Is your 7D from the early batch ? Just for kicks here is mine 100% crop @ 3200 - A mis-focussed Yellow Warbler.

In my experience and "with my" 7D it can bring me down from happiness to despair in just one shot

1       2       3              24      
       26       27       28       end