#516 State of the art
/forum/topic/1143021/0

Navyblue
Total Posts: 1906

For those who aren't born in the era, before there are transistors, these are what people put in electronics.

It was said that the Soviets kept the existence of this particular vacuum tube model secret, and it was used in their weapon system and their MiG fighters. From the date code it was manufactured in the 4th week of 1979.

Now you an find them on eBay. Although not exactly forgotten, thanks to the audiophiles, they cost a small fortune now.

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3774

Very interesting. Cool, mysterious lighting, goes nicely with the mysterious background.

robertjm
Total Posts: 725

They had vacuum tubes in MIG fighters?

Navyblue
Total Posts: 1906

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Very interesting. Cool, mysterious lighting, goes nicely with the mysterious background.

Thanks Travis.

robertjm wrote:

What do you think they use to build stuffs like radars, radio equipments, and even computers before there are transistors?

Even then, the Soviets retained the use of vacuum tubes for longer than their NATO counter parts. It was said that they do it because they would survive EMP or nuclear bomb better than transistor electronics. But I am really no expert in this.

robertjm
Total Posts: 725

Frankly, I thought they were made up of transistors since the 1950s.

Navyblue wrote:
What do you think they use to build stuffs like radars, radio equipments, and even computers before there are transistors?

Even then, the Soviets retained the use of vacuum tubes for longer than their NATO counter parts. It was said that they do it because they would survive EMP or nuclear bomb better than transistor electronics. But I am really no expert in this.

robertjm wrote: