Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems
/forum/topic/1142973/1

3       4       end

JulianDeLaRosa
Total Posts: 642

Here are the pics of the WonderPana setup for the 17 TS-E. From the pinch cap, holder, and filters, this kit is definitely well made. I haven't had the chance to take it outside to test it but, from just using it indoors, I did not see any vignetting. I tested with shift and tilt all the way down and vice versa. So far, so good.

The red button is a release just like the the OEM cap but, it's made of metal.

Here's one with the CPL alone. I do have the 4 stop ND and it can be stacked.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3200

Huge!

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17351

JulianDeLaRosa wrote:
Here are the pics of the WonderPana setup for the 17 TS-E. From the pinch cap, holder, and filters, this kit is definitely well made. I haven't had the chance to take it outside to test it but, from just using it indoors, I did not see any vignetting. I tested with shift and tilt all the way down and vice versa. So far, so good.

The red button is a release just like the the OEM cap but, it's made of metal.

Here's one with the CPL alone. I do have the 4 stop ND and it can be stacked.

Thanks for posting the images Julian. I wonder if it's possible to use a polarizer or ND together with their 6x8" Gradual filters using the WonderPana 66 adapter.
Post some pictures whenever you can!
All the best,
Fred

JulianDeLaRosa

^^No problem Fred. You can stack the ND and CPL no problem. Although, I'm not sure about the holder since I didn't order it. Maybe I should.

Fred Miranda

JulianDeLaRosa wrote:
^^No problem Fred. You can stack the ND and CPL no problem. Although, I'm not sure about the holder since I didn't order it. Maybe I should.

Being able to stack the 145mm filters is good news. I was really wondering if it's possible to have the 145mm filters together with the 6x8" Grad filters.
Let us know if you try this.
Take care,
Fred

tball
Total Posts: 10

Wow that thing is huge! But I guess it needs to be so there is no vignetting! I can't wait to hear your opinions on it after using it in the field!

But looks I need to start saving some money!

JulianDeLaRosa

Fred Miranda wrote:
JulianDeLaRosa wrote:

Being able to stack the 145mm filters is good news. I was really wondering if it's possible to have the 145mm filters together with the 6x8" Grad filters.
Take care,
Fred

No worries. I'm going out to my local lake this weekend to try the CPL and ND stacked. I can then verify any vignetting at the extreme shift and tilt.

JulianDeLaRosa

tball wrote:
Wow that thing is huge! But I guess it needs to be so there is no vignetting! I can't wait to hear your opinions on it after using it in the field!

But looks I need to start saving some money!

Sure. Hopefully it holds true when I test it outside.

chicagonature
Total Posts: 3

IMPORTANT NOTE for those who are looking into the Wonderpana system with split-grad rectangular filters:

The square filter holder for the Wonderpana does NOT allow the filters to be rotated. The holder is essentially two "ears" that attach to each side of the round holder with 3 small screws. So, if you want to make a photo in landscape orientation and then switch over to portrait, you have to take out 6 screws, reorient each ear, and screw them back in. Woah! And, because the sky/land border isn't always horizontal, you can't rotate the filter slightly to accommodate. Their next design should offer rotation.

With the new (round) filter holder, the C-POL does NOT vignette using the Nikon 14-24mm lens at 14mm and f/2.8 and focused at its closest focusing distance. The older version vignetted because they didn't take into account that when focusing closer, the lens gets wider and becomes like a 13.7mm (or whatever). So, this new version works well. The square filter holder does vignette with the 14-24mm, though not a lot when you're at smaller apertures. However, that should be fixed in the next version, too.

Fred Miranda

chicagonature wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTE for those who are looking into the Wonderpana system with split-grad rectangular filters:

The square filter holder for the Wonderpana does NOT allow the filters to be rotated. The holder is essentially two "ears" that attach to each side of the round holder with 3 small screws. So, if you want to make a photo in landscape orientation and then switch over to portrait, you have to take out 6 screws, reorient each ear, and screw them back in. Woah! And, because the sky/land border isn't always horizontal, you can't rotate the filter slightly to accommodate. Their next design should offer rotation.

With the new (round) filter holder, the C-POL does NOT vignette using the Nikon 14-24mm lens at 14mm and f/2.8 and focused at its closest focusing distance. The older version vignetted because they didn't take into account that when focusing closer, the lens gets wider and becomes like a 13.7mm (or whatever). So, this new version works well. The square filter holder does vignette with the 14-24mm, though not a lot when you're at smaller apertures. However, that should be fixed in the next version, too.

That is a big limitation indeed. Thanks for reporting it.
Our Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E custom adapter using Lee filters is looking better and better.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1081875

DrewFotodiox
Total Posts: 6

I was really wondering if it's possible to have the 145mm filters together with the 6x8" Grad filters.
Take care,
Fred

Hi Fred,

Yes, it is possible to stack any 1 6 x 8 filter with any 1 circular 145mm filter. Technically, it is possible to stack two 145mm circular filters together, but there will be some slight vignetting when doing so. Alternatively, 2 rectangular filters may also be used. We do plan on offering additional rectangular filters for use with the WonderPana system in the future.

We would love to provide one to you for review on your site, if you would like. Our PR firm was supposed to have been in contact with you. Have you heard from them, yet? Please feel free to email me at the email listed in my profile.

Thanks,
Drew

DrewFotodiox

chicagonature wrote:

...Their next design should offer rotation...

Our next design MAY offer incremental rotation. Currently, landscape to portrait orientation is handled by 6 thumb-screws that do not require any tooling to use in the field. It really only takes 1 minute to make the switch. The current model can easily achieve incremental rotation when mounted on a tripod.

So, this new version works well.

Agreed. We worked extremely hard on this version, and we believe it is head and shoulders above any other ultra-wide angle adapter system on the market. It is also available for 13 different lenses.

However, that should be fixed in the next version, too.

We are always working to improve our products and we appreciate all feedback, however, the decision to wait on purchasing based on what we might, or might not, include in a new version is purely a personal one and should be based on your current shooting needs / desires.

We currently have no idea when, or even if, we will be able to accommodate any specific future design change requests.

Thanks,
Drew Strickland
Vice President, Fotodiox

chicagonature
Total Posts: 3

DrewFotodiox wrote:
chicagonature wrote:

...Their next design should offer rotation...

Our next design MAY offer incremental rotation. Currently, landscape to portrait orientation is handled by 6 thumb-screws that do not require any tooling to use in the field. It really only takes 1 minute to make the switch. The current model can easily achieve incremental rotation when mounted on a tripod.

So, this new version works well.

Agreed. We worked extremely hard on this version, and we believe it is head and shoulders above any other ultra-wide angle adapter system on the market. It is also available for 13 different lenses.

However, that should be fixed in the next version, too.

We are always working to improve our products and we appreciate all feedback, however, the decision to wait on purchasing based on what we might, or might not, include in a new version is purely a personal one and should be based on your current shooting needs / desires.

We currently have no idea when, or even if, we will be able to accommodate any specific future design change requests.

Thanks,
Drew Strickland
Vice President, Fotodiox

The reason I say that future versions will be fixed is because I met with Kelvin (owner) to give him free feedback on the design because he wanted guidance from a professional landscape photographer. He clearrly saw the drawbacks and told me that he's going to fix the problems next time around. Granted, he may change his mind, but these are big issues that cannot be ignored.

The reason I posted here was to help out photographers, as well as your company, because any photographer who has ever used a split grad is going to expect your product to rotate. That's a huge omission. So, I educated potential customers before you'd both have to deal with returns. You should probably advertise that it's a non-rotating split grad holder.

The "incremental rotation" of the tripod doesn't solve the problem of no rotation unless you want a tilted horizon.

Changing the holder filter from landscape to portrait sounds easy on paper, but it required me to make 34 individual motions to complete the process, which was cumbersome even though I was in the warmth of your office without gloves with the camera on a tripod and a table to set and keep track of the loose screws. Plus lining up the screws with their holes is tricky. In the real world, it would be infuriating. If it took 34 motions to remove a lens cap, people would give up photography. This doesn't even touch on the fact that youl probably already missed the shot.

The reason the split grads vignette has nothing to do with the filter itself. The ears are vignetting. They're too far away from the lens. However, there's a 4mm (or so) gap between the first and 2nd filter. As I told Kelvin, all he has to do is close this gap and the problem is fixed. The gap and vignetting should have been noticed by the engineers before launching the product. It was clearly not well thought out.

Though I cannot recommend the square filter holder part of the product in its current form, I believe that if a new version is created, it'll be the answer to many landscape photographers' dreams, including my own. The product is extremely well made and well engineered. I really like the owner, Kelvin. He's a passionate guy and he seems committed to getting things right. And, I have every hope that he keeps working on this product because the quality is certainly rock solid and I believe you will get many happy raving customers.

The split grad filters are very, very nice, better than anything out there. They're longer, too (8.4" I think), which is required in order to raise and lower it and align it properly with a high or low horizon. (I personally want the option of even longer ones. Granted, they'll be 11 inches tall, but with a 14mm lens, you can't really raise or lower the filter above or below the THIRD mark, which is sometimes required.) They're also very precise in color neutrality, according to Kelvin, which is wonderful. So, excellent job with these filters! They're priced well, too..

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Fotodiox 145mm Circular Polarizing Filter with it's holder and big lens cap. This is what I own. The new version, fitted to the Nikon 14-24mm lens, shows NO vignetting and it's just a classy product. It's all metal, built tough, and doesn't scratch the lens. The only thing is that it's pink. It really is, unless you euphamistically call it "magenta." I prefer something more natural, but the color shouldn't stop anyone from buying this product. A C-Polarizer is an essential tool for any outdoor photographer. Fotodiox makes it possible with some of the coolest and best super-wide lenses out there. I am completely impressed with it!

Great work and please make it even greater!

Mike

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11816

Changing the orientation from landscape to portrait may require more steps to change the orientation of the filter holder for a rectangular filter and that requires un/screwing and 6 screws in the field and that can be a PITB. Most of the time a slight tilt may just be needed to change the graduate effect while keeping the horizon perfectly horizontal. How is the round filter holder attached to the lens? Is the groove for the OEM lens cap being used to secure the round filter holder on the lens? If that's the case, is that not easy for it to be rotated a little? Sorry for being ignorant here but since I don't have the benefit of trying it out myself here, I have to rely on just the description. Can anyone that has this filter system fill me in, please? Thanks!

DrewFotodiox

And, I have every hope that he keeps working on this product because the quality is certainly rock solid and I believe you will get many happy raving customers.

The split grad filters are very, very nice, better than anything out there. They're longer, too (8.4" I think), which is required in order to raise and lower it and align it properly with a high or low horizon. (I personally want the option of even longer ones. Granted, they'll be 11 inches tall, but with a 14mm lens, you can't really raise or lower the filter above or below the THIRD mark, which is sometimes required.) They're also very precise in color neutrality, according to Kelvin, which is wonderful. So, excellent job with these filters! They're priced well, too..

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Fotodiox 145mm Circular Polarizing Filter with it's holder and big lens cap. This is what I own. The new version, fitted to the Nikon 14-24mm lens, shows NO vignetting and it's just a classy product. It's all metal, built tough, and doesn't scratch the lens. The only thing is that it's pink. It really is, unless you euphamistically call it "magenta." I prefer something more natural, but the color shouldn't stop anyone from buying this product. A C-Polarizer is an essential tool for any outdoor photographer. Fotodiox makes it possible with some of the coolest and best super-wide lenses out there. I am completely impressed with it!

Great work and please make it even greater!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your feedback.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are always looking to improve upon our products. This philosophy fits with our new motto: "advancing innovation :: defining quality." But, again, I do not know any specifics about when a new version of this product may, or may not, be available. The WonderPana has only been on the market for a few months and is selling very well. We are already out of stock of some of the lens types. However, more units are on the way.

To further address any concerns about the ability to rotate the rectangular filters I am sharing these 2 images below. They illustrate the 8 available positions of the rectangular filters. Hopefully, these images will provide some guidance to those who may be interested.

Thanks,
Drew

nickygee
Total Posts: 2

I have just become a member. I have been watching posts on this forum for some time as a result of researching fotodiox 66 systemfor Canon 17tse. It seems that there are still a few bugs to iron out regarding full functionality of the lense with the system attached or is it only fully functional with the 145 system. It is not the price as I am not much in favour of DYI and prefer quality made with full functionality problems solved.

DrewFotodiox

In our opinion, it is fully functional all around, we have had very few returns on this product. Right now we are sold out of the 66 system again (we currently still have stock on the basic 145 system), but we should be back in stock within a week or so.

What you have been reading about is the idea that the 66 version of our system needs to incorporate greater rotational ability than the 8 rotation positions currently available via thumbscrew. The core unit is very well made with an all-metal construction and custom brass thumbscrews.

Hope this information is helpful.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11816

Drew,
Thank you for the images and the animation.

In quite a bit of cases, the segment that we want to use the graduated filter for varies only a little bit from the perfectly flat horizon but not quite at 45-degree angle , say around 5-10 degree or so. The way the filter is currently constructed, is setting the system at that angle not possible at all or could we, for lack of a better word, screw in one of the thumbscrews outside the hole made for them to just get the desired position? I assume that the filter system won't be securely fastened that way, or at least not completely, but the camera/lens combo will be sitting on tripod anyway. Thanks again!

Fred Miranda

DrewFotodiox wrote:
In our opinion, it is fully functional all around, we have had very few returns on this product. Right now we are sold out of the 66 system again (we currently still have stock on the basic 145 system), but we should be back in stock within a week or so.

What you have been reading about is the idea that the 66 version of our system needs to incorporate greater rotational ability than the 8 rotation positions currently available via thumbscrew. The core unit is very well made with an all-metal construction and custom brass thumbscrews.

Hope this information is helpful.

Drew,
I just got the entire system for the Canon 17mm TS-E. I was initially worried about the rotation limitation discussed here but would like to point out that the lens itself can do all the rotation. It could be an issue for non-TS-E lenses but with this one, there is no need to mess with the thumbscrews at all when changing orientation.
My initial reaction to the product is very positive. It's very well designed and the system and filters seem to be of very high quality. Vignetting is my next concern. I will be testing it shortly and post a little review on it.

PS: It would be VERY helpful if you would develop adapter threads to attach the 17 TS-E WonderPana system on other lenses like the 24 TSE for example. Basically a threaded step-down adapter that could be attached to 82mm, 77mm and 67mm lenses. Like that, we would not need to have two different sets of filters on the field. We would use the WonderPana filters for lenses with threads as well.

Best,
Fred

Chiefdog72
Total Posts: 215

Excellent point Fred and exactly why Iíve been holding off getting a filter system. I have the 14mm II, TS-E 17mm, and the TS-E 24mm II. I would buy the WonderPana system in a second if they had step down rings that allowed me to use their filters on any lens.

3       4       end