Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!
/forum/topic/1142217/3

1       2       3      
       end

stanj
Total Posts: 9737

ns2397 wrote:
It looks update via Mac OS X is safer than Windows.

The update isn't done via either OS. It's done via memory card. What OS writes the file to the card has nothing to do with it.

alundeb
Total Posts: 4405

stanj wrote:
ns2397 wrote:
It looks update via Mac OS X is safer than Windows.

The update isn't done via either OS. It's done via memory card. What OS writes the file to the card has nothing to do with it.

In theory, it could.

The protocol for writing to the card is one level below the file system on the card. The card is a memory block device. Writing a file to the card includes manipulation of the file allocation tables and organizing the file data into blocks. The program code for this resides in the OS specific driver for memory cards and mass storage devices.

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6645

So I got this lens today (9/28/12), and thought surely it would have the latest firmware. Nope. So I went to Canon to get the update and it became obvious that they didn't have the update available for the Mountain Lion version of OSX (perhaps it's a file structure issue?), so I broke out the Windows 7 laptop (ugh) and downloaded it, copied it to a SD card, and performed the update with no issues.....

So far, the lens is all it's been said to be!

Greg

stanj
Total Posts: 9737

The Lion version works just fine on Mountain Lion. It's a dmg that you open and it's not like the file format changed - Canon are just too dense to list the download under 10.8 as well.

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6645

stanj wrote:
The Lion version works just fine on Mountain Lion. It's a dmg that you open and it's not like the file format changed - Canon are just too dense to list the download under 10.8 as well.

I thought that to be the case, but I couldn't get the EOS utility to install on Mountain Lion (suppoedly that will be fixed in OCT) so I didn't want to risk it......

RazorTM
Total Posts: 625

Monito wrote:
stanj wrote: Curious about why, since opening the door shuts it off already. I never shut down a camera before swapping a card and miraculously avoided disaster, in more than 10 years of doing it...

You've been a little bit lucky, but most likely because you've waited long enough to let the operating system write all files to the card and update the file tables.

It also means that all the pins make and break contact with the camera off. It is much like the idea that with an external USB card reader you put the card in the reader and then connect the USB.

I don't turn off the camera to swap lenses, but I do turn it off to open the card door.

I wait for the camera's write indicator lamp to turn off, then I open the card door with the camera still turned on, and I've been doing it for 6 years now. It won't hurt a thing. On my Hasselblad H3DII-39, you can even insert/remove the card with the camera still on with no ill effects.

1       2       3      
       end