5D3 back to $3500 at B&H. Strange...
/forum/topic/1135139/1

3       end

form
Total Posts: 3762

Seems like my D800 beats all my 5d2s and ex-1ds II for focus accuracy, so yeah I guess the D800 has pretty functional focusing...

mco_970
Total Posts: 5288

I am pretty sure B&H is up because Amazon bumped their price back up. Amazon's strategy seems to be to put the price up for a couple of days, then lower it for another series of days to make it look like a great price... I just hoped it would go back to $3199 at Amazon. I was going to buy one if it hit that again this week.

Oh well, I guess I dodged the bullet on MA'ing yet another camera body. And I still got the 1D3 love, so whatever.

UCSB
Total Posts: 4316

There are suppliers like J&R ($3,250) selling it for less than $3,500 ... just shop around. Just add a few discounts on top and you have a decent price.

mco_970
Total Posts: 5288

UCSB wrote:
There are suppliers like J&R ($3,250) selling it for less than $3,500 ... just shop around. Just add a few discounts on top and you have a decent price.

I know, but if I use Amazon Prime I don't actually have to pay for it for 12 months. Much easier to keep it on the down-low from DH.

thinkpadfans
Total Posts: 930

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-NEW-/150811558362?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item231d11c1da

Rickuz
Total Posts: 460

Apparently a whole world of shooters are waiting for the $2999 mark.

Canon should just get it over with and lower the price already. The camera is in stock everywhere, so I don't think their sales are very high a.t.m.

retrofocus
Total Posts: 3744

kewlcanon wrote:
Looks like the 5D III demand is higher because D800 is having Left AF issues .

You wish.... ....the overall trend is a downwards price spiral, B&H won't be able to keep this price up for long I bet.

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4409

No, they won't... they have to jack it up soon

retrofocus wrote:
kewlcanon wrote:
Looks like the 5D III demand is higher because D800 is having Left AF issues .

You wish.... ....the overall trend is a downwards price spiral, B&H won't be able to keep this price up for long I bet.

Cphoto1954
Total Posts: 665

I'm holding off my purchase until 2014.

retrofocus

Cphoto1954 wrote:
I'm holding off my purchase until 2014.

Then you will likely go for the successor of the 5D III which might likely be a real improvement sensor-wise.

DLP
Total Posts: 2503

timbop wrote:
yet the kit is still $4099.

Whoops! It's $4299 now!

Ben Horne
Total Posts: 11733

They probably got a call from canon informing them that they were violating their dealership agreement by selling for less than MAP.

retrofocus

Ben Horne wrote:
They probably got a call from canon informing them that they were violating their dealership agreement by selling for less than MAP.

Possible, this could be true.

molson
Total Posts: 10512

EB-1 wrote:
The 5D III has relatively low resolution, so AF does not have to be quite as accurate.

Not that it matters with such low resolution, but the 5D Mark III AF is significantly more accurate than anything Nikon offers...

timbop
Total Posts: 6318

Monito wrote:
Soon people will be saying that Canon is falling apart and is desperate for profits, hence the return to the launch price. Probably the same people who said Canon was desperate for profits and lowered the price (when it is retailers who are setting the prices (all different)).

It's OK, you can just reference me by name instead of trying to be cute.

jerrykur
Total Posts: 4252

I wonder if this is a one off deal "Buy a 100 and we will give you a 10% rebate". Having dealt a bit in the retail distribution channel I know this sort of stuff happens all the time to get more product through the pipeline to meet quarter quotas.

Tony B
Total Posts: 816

In Perth the big Canon dealers seem to have taken turns in advertising at $3450ish since its availability. With a tax refund when travelling I picked mine up at $3240. A bargain at just $600more than I paid for my 5D.

timbop

jerrykur wrote:
I wonder if this is a one off deal "Buy a 100 and we will give you a 10% rebate". Having dealt a bit in the retail distribution channel I know this sort of stuff happens all the time to get more product through the pipeline to meet quarter quotas.

I'm thinking the guess about canon jumping on them about MAP is most likely correct. That, or there is a rebate coming...

James Taylor
Total Posts: 726

Well that's a bummer. I was thinking I would order one this weekend at 3350.00. Now what to do? I can get by without it for a few weeks (have a MKII), but as soon as my next paying job comes around I will want a backup.

timbop

James Taylor wrote:
Well that's a bummer. I was thinking I would order one this weekend at 3350.00. Now what to do? I can get by without it for a few weeks (have a MKII), but as soon as my next paying job comes around I will want a backup.

I was thinking the same thing, but now - they can eat it at $3500. Used mk2's will stay down, so I will just keeping shooting with mine. I can wait them out; as long as people don't buy then they will have to cut it to a reasonable price considering the competition

3       end