#512 Cottonwoods on the Skyline
/forum/topic/1134977/0

Foggy14
Total Posts: 928

While I enjoy cityscapes, one of my favorite skylines features cottonwood trees on a hiking trail in the San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve in San Diego.

During twilight on a clear night, the eastern sky behind and above the cottonwoods can light up in very interesting and impressive ways. In this photo, a contrail cloud is lit by the last rays of the sun. Thanks for looking!

Klaus Priebe
Total Posts: 9662

Was this taken last night ?

Foggy14

Klaus Priebe wrote:

Klaus, the photo was taken on the 3rd of January of this year.

Klaus Priebe
Total Posts: 9662

Foggy14 wrote:
Klaus Priebe wrote:

You may want to shoot it again. The WA is for images shot this week. I just thought the cottonwoods looked a little funny without leaves on them.

Foggy14

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Foggy14 wrote:
Klaus Priebe wrote:

You may want to shoot it again. The WA is for images shot this week. I just thought the cottonwoods looked a little funny without leaves on them.

Oops. Sorry, didn't catch that requirement. I'll delete the entry.

Foggy14

Hi Fred, it appears that I was off-base on the rules when I posted my image. Could you please delete. Thanks.

James Markus
Total Posts: 4368

Hey Foggy,
I like this one! If you can do it once - do it again. You have over three days to shoot a replacement, then you can update this thread with your new "this week" photo.

Welcome to the WA
Jim

Foggy14

James Markus wrote:
Hey Foggy,
I like this one! If you can do it once - do it again. You have over three days to shoot a replacement, then you can update this thread with your new "this week" photo.

Welcome to the WA
Jim

Thanks for the encouragement James!

With turnaround for film processing being what it is these days, I'll probably not make this one. Hopefully, I'll come up with something worthy of consideration down the road.

Good luck on this week's assignment. I enjoyed your meadow photographs very much.

Strad
Total Posts: 9483

Regardless of when you shat it, Foggy, it still is really pretty. That's a contrail cloud? All the looneys who think the government is trying to poison us with "chemtrails" ought to have a look at this. So you still shoot film, huh? I'd forgotten about processing turnaround time. I've got a fantastic state-of-the art Leica from the 50's with all the best lenses but I have no idea what to do with it.

All best wishes,

Endre

Foggy14

Strad wrote:
Regardless of when you shat it, Foggy, it still is really pretty. That's a contrail cloud? All the looneys who think the government is trying to poison us with "chemtrails" ought to have a look at this. So you still shoot film, huh? I'd forgotten about processing turnaround time. I've got a fantastic state-of-the art Leica from the 50's with all the best lenses but I have no idea what to do with it.

All best wishes,

Endre

Thanks Endre! Yeah, that "cloud" was pretty special. As the evening progressed it lit up in the alpenglow, as shown in the photo below.

On cameras, I have a couple of digitals that I like very much, but I guess I'm still in love with film. Your Leica sounds like a gem. If you give it a try with some Fuji Velvia 50 color film or Ilford Pan F+ black and white, I'd bet you'll enjoy the process and the results.

Cheers,
Jeff

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3123

A nice shot, didn't even know about the date till I read the other comments, hope you get a chance to do a new shot.

Norm