EOS-M - Canon mirroless system
/forum/topic/1133322/1

3              18       19       end

EOS20
Total Posts: 13638

Sr.Cordeiro
Total Posts: 223

With so few buttons only a touchscreen can save this camera.
On a plus side it seems quite robust and I think it may be the best looking no-viewfinder mirrorless to date.

The only thing that interests me now is the lenses. Canon has the capacity to deliver a good line-up beating easily the Sony NEX system and competing with the mFT (in this case with the possibility of having a larger sensor).

goosemang
Total Posts: 1628

Mescalamba wrote:
Tho no EVF = not good/really bad.

yeah, agreed

really seems like canon and nikon are just trying to recoup the p&s sales lost to cell phones with these cameras. convince people they still need to carry around a camera to take good photos...

which is all well and good, but it's not terribly satisfying to photographers who are looking for DSLR alternatives

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4651

I'm glad I just upgraded from the NEX 5N to the 7. I was afraid I might regret not waiting to see what Canon launched. They had a huge opportunity to launch a mirrorless Canonet line. That could have been a direct X-Pro1 killer. I guess they're content to simply be a me too player here.

Yes, my comments are probably premature but on looks alone, it's not too exciting.

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

goosemang wrote:
is it me, or does it look like the ring around the shutter button can be rotated?

then there's that button on the rear top right

rotate the ring to change shutter speed, hold down the button in the rear and rotate the ring to change aperture? or vice versa?

I noticed that too earlier. I think most likely it's a type of dial that can be rotated to control either aperture or shutter.

goosemang

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:

The only thing that interests me now is the lenses. Canon has the capacity to deliver a good line-up beating easily the Sony NEX system and competing with the mFT (in this case with the possibility of having a larger sensor).

yeah, i think they can really deliver the goods with some tiny, high quality lenses.

i mean can't they just make this same camera with an EVF, aperture ring, shutter speed dial and a freakin' exposure compensation dial?

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6064

The more I look at the mount size vs. the sensor size, I'm not sure the sensor is aps-c, unless the mount is large compared to Nex. Plus, making 35/2 equivalent that small would be quite an achievement. It kinda looks to me like we have yet another mirrorless format size.

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6437

Looks like a 1" to me.

The body looks kind of budget.

This just looks like a far more useable camera:

Sr.Cordeiro

The general public doesn't mind not having a viewfinder so this model is certainly entry-level, but the general public also prefer a zoom lens to a prime, so I'm a bit confused.

To have a new lens mount implies a certain degree of commitment so I guess we can expected to see more advanced bodies in the future.

The 22mm is a macro, great thing for versatility.

jonrock

goosemang wrote:

i mean can't they just make this same camera with an EVF, aperture ring, shutter speed dial and a freakin' exposure compensation dial?

Of course they can. I would suspect that they might introduce a higher end camera later on. The Sony Nex 7 wasn't introduced at the initial launch of the Nex system.

goosemang

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
The general public doesn't mind not having a viewfinder so this model is certainly entry-level, but the general public also prefer a zoom lens to a prime, so I'm a bit confused.

yeah, rolling it out with a 35mm f/2 equivalent certainly seems to be aimed at folks who are more than just taking snapshots

Sr.Cordeiro

Unfortunately it seems to me that Canon abandoned that kind of classic design a long time ago.

goosemang

the more i look at that pic the more i think it's smaller than aps-c

FlyPenFly

A 35mm macro?

If it was a 1" sensor that would be a sensible 60mm macro.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3503

g1x sensor size is my guess.

22mm * 1.85 = 40mm EFOV.

jonrock

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:

To have a new lens mount implies a certain degree of commitment so I guess we can expected to see more advanced bodies in the future.

The 22mm is a macro, great thing for versatility.

I'm actually kind of curious to see how large a zoom lens is on this system. The vast majority of general public from what I've seen just has the kit zoom lens as their only lens.

Sr.Cordeiro

FlyPenFly wrote:
A 35mm macro?

If it's confirmed that it will have a 1" sensor mFT can be officially declared as the king of mirrorless systems.

FlyPenFly

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:
A 35mm macro?

If it's confirmed that it will have a 1" sensor mFT can be officially declared as the king of mirrorless systems.

Right up until Sony announces the Sony Zeiss ZA 35mm F2 Makro Planar for E-Mount.

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1722

ugh whats the point.

davenfl
Total Posts: 4076

The lack of a viewfinder is a fail right out of the box for me personally. If Canon wanted an upgraded P&S OK, but they already have that in more then several existing forms. Any serious camera meant to target their large base of DSLR users has got to have a viewfinder, and not a bolt on either. It would seem that Canon can never give us anything new anymore, it's always technology that others have tried and has already been out in the field for years, just that it now carries a Canon logo. Disappointing to me personally.

Dave

3              18       19       end