OM-D & PEN Images
/forum/topic/1127925/88

1       2       3              88      
       90              265       266       end

jaystar86
Total Posts: 38

Haha, nice catch just in time. Its amazing how quick the landscape disappears beneath you and its just all clouds after a plan takes off.

bobbytan wrote:
Thanks! I almost missed this shot. I was looking out for Mt Fuji, camera on the ready, but I was looking at the distant horizon all the time. Then something caught my eye and when I looked down ... Holy Mackeral ... there was Mt Fuji right under my nose! I had only seconds to snap 2 or 3 shots before it disappeared under the plane's wingspan.

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7461

jaystar86 wrote:

^^^ I keep reading about the Oly 12mm, 45mm and 75mm as being awesome lenses. Funny you mention the 135L... I bought that lens twice and both times ended up selling it simply because the focal length just didnt fit with me. I much preferred the 85mm focal length instead so Im betting I will really like that Oly 45mm. Bulk of my shooting was done with a 50mm and 85mm on full frame so Im fully planning on getting the Oly 45mm after the PL 25mm. I know 50mm and 85mm are kind of bunched together but that two lens combination worked much better for me then the very liked 35 & 85mm combination. Just couldnt get used to the 35mm focal length either.

All in all peeps I just want to thank you A TON again for posting your thoughts, inputs... its much appreciated. I will take it all into consideration and decide soon.

Now for the toughest decision of them all ... Silver body or Black

The 85L II was one of my favorite lenses as I do a fair bit of portrait work. Yes, you will most definitely be very comfortable with the 45/1.8 lens - and it's so small and light (and cheap) compared to the 75/1.8. Whilst I do like and use my 45/1.8 a lot I prefer the 75/1.8 because of the fabulous bokeh and background blur ... even better than the 45/1.8.

I would recommend the silver body because (a) either black or silver lenses would look better on a silver body, and (b) silver bodies are more popular by far ... which means it will be easier for you to sell a silver body, if you need to do that. Also, the silver one has a more retro look ... if you are into the retro look.

michael49
Total Posts: 5400

russdenney01 wrote:
Here's one of my favs with the OM-D...

Handheld at 1/6th! I could not have done this without the in-body IS!

Awesome camera.

And an awesome shot!!

michael49

bobbytan wrote:
Where's the monk when you need one?

Love the colors, contrast, pp here.

michael49

didierv wrote:
While on a mountain biking trip in Sedona AZ...
Morning foggy sunrise
7 image pano with the Olympus OMD & Olympus 45 mm prime.
(cross posted on the landscapre forum)

Fantastic!

michael49

Chemamar wrote:
Very beautiful photos here. First mine with the OM-D.
Various lens...

Very creative and well done.

michael49

Wilbus wrote:
....One from the morning of X-mas eve, sun was just coming up (good thing about walking the dog, you rarely get up those times and go out for a walk otherwise).

Love it.

michael49

bobbytan wrote:
I would recommend the silver body because (a) either black or silver lenses would look better on a silver body, and (b) silver bodies are more popular by far ... which means it will be easier for you to sell a silver body, if you need to do that. Also, the silver one has a more retro look ... if you are into the retro look.

I'm going to have to disagree with Bobby here. I sold my silver OM-D for a black one. I love the look of the silver lenses on the black body.

CalW
Total Posts: 2035

I like both the black and the silver - bought the silver first, and after selling my Canon gear, also bought the black Really nice finally to have two cameras that work exactly the same, for ease of swapping quickly. Never had that option with Canon 'cause the 1D's cost too much.

bobbytan

michael49 wrote:
bobbytan wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with Bobby here. I sold my silver OM-D for a black one. I love the look of the silver lenses on the black body.

Color/style is a very personal matter. Those who owned and had fond memories of the old OM-series cameras will prefer the retro look of the silver, as it looks very much like the older/earlier OM bodies. Those who are more familiar with black bodies will appreciate the sleek black look. I was thinking about getting a 2nd/black body but I really think a silver body is easier to sell because of the stronger demand for the silver body.

h00ligan
Total Posts: 2155

Just visiting. Impressive stuff all.

Wilbus
Total Posts: 262

Don't just visit... stay :-)

Bobby, but all old OM's weren't silver... I have a Silver OM-2 but my father has an all black OM1 that looks awesome, in many ways better then the silver.

Personally I opted for the black OM-D due to the fact that it is a little bit more stealthy. I do think that silver lenses look better on silver bodies though so I wish Olympus would come to their senses and make black lenses and silver lenses that cost as much, not just repaint a 12mm and charge 200 more for it.

Ernie Aubert
Total Posts: 4416

Wilbus wrote:
... I wish Olympus would come to their senses and make black lenses and silver lenses that cost as much, not just repaint a 12mm and charge 200 more for it.

Amen! That's why I'm not buying a 75. Do note, though, that a hood comes with the black 12, so that offsets part of the price difference.

Wilbus

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Wilbus wrote:
... I wish Olympus would come to their senses and make black lenses and silver lenses that cost as much, not just repaint a 12mm and charge 200 more for it.

Amen! That's why I'm not buying a 75. Do note, though, that a hood comes with the black 12, so that offsets part of the price difference.

True, some but not all! I really want the 75mm, color doesn't keep me from getting it but I am a bit pissed of at Olympus for not including a hood with their lenses. Panasonic includes the hoods, good quality hoods with that and I don't see why Olympus can't do it. This might actually make me buy Panasonic lenses rather then Olympus lenses, just hope Panasonic will release some more good primes!

bobbytan

Wilbus wrote:
Ernie Aubert wrote:
Wilbus wrote:

True, some but not all! I really want the 75mm, color doesn't keep me from getting it but I am a bit pissed of at Olympus for not including a hood with their lenses. Panasonic includes the hoods, good quality hoods with that and I don't see why Olympus can't do it. This might actually make me buy Panasonic lenses rather then Olympus lenses, just hope Panasonic will release some more good primes!

Don't get me started on the Oly hoods. Yes, it's bad enough that their not-inexpensive lenses do not come with a lens hood, but you cannot even buy the hood for the 60mm macro lens which has been out for at least a couple of months now! And FWIW I do not own any original Olympus hood - they are too expensive. I use generic hoods, even for the 75/1.8 lens.

Wilbus

I know Bobby, it's freaking annoying! I was lucky enough to find the hood for the 45mm, that and the Pan-Leica 25mm are the only two native m43 lenses I have so far, the Pan-Leica of course (like most other Panasonic lenses) come with a really nice hood, as do the lenses from pretty much every other manufacturer. This is something one should take in to the equation when comparing lens prices.

Have you found a good lens hood for the 75mm? I don't have the lens yet, I am strongly considering it though, that or the Panasonic 35-100mm but having a hard time deciding. I do like primes mostly but the 35-100 is a very usable range but the 75mm is already near legendary...

Btw, my brother is looking for a decently priced tele zoom, he's quite picky about the picture quality so any low end lens won't work.

I'm guessing the Olympus 75-300 and Panasonic 100-300 are the two most apparent choices, can anyone share thoughts and pictures? I know it's been posted here before but not sure I wanna look though 90 pages in order to find a few pictures :-)

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4610

Meanwhile, went for a walk with the OM-D and the PL25.

dukenukem
Total Posts: 299

One more with M.Zuiko 9-18

<| por _dUkEnUkEm_, en Flickr
1s . f/10.0 . ISO 200 . 9 mm

Wilbus

Lovely landscape Duke, very very nice!

Bob, I love and hate the second shot! It's a great shot without a doubt but it's very gloomy and depressing. It oozes industry and planet destruction, well done!

bobbytan

$8 for this generic screw-in hood for the 75 lens:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VO54H6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00836JHVQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RYVG754FA92N5Y9EKE1

The color is not a perfect match (the original Oly has a hint of gold) but it's close enough. What I like about the generic hood (which I am sure you can buy on eBay as well), aside from being cheap and functional is that it's very neat/compact i.e. it flushes with the lens barrel and doesn't have a screw head sticking out of the hood as in the original version. I did buy the original version but promptly returned it after comparing it to the generic hood which I like even more ironically ... except for the minor color mismatch.

I have the Panasonic 100-300 lens, but after using it one time just to test it, I have not used it again and I am thinking about selling it. I am hoping Olympus or Panasonic will develop a long zoom that is at least as good as the Panasonic 35-100 or, better yet, a 150/2.8 and 300/4 prime (plus TC) of the quality of the 75! The IQ of the 100-300 is quite good up to around 200mm, and decent or acceptable but not great beyond 200mm.

Some samples of my first and only outing with the Panasonic 100-300 lens:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127925/0#10777852

Wilbus wrote:
I know Bobby, it's freaking annoying! I was lucky enough to find the hood for the 45mm, that and the Pan-Leica 25mm are the only two native m43 lenses I have so far, the Pan-Leica of course (like most other Panasonic lenses) come with a really nice hood, as do the lenses from pretty much every other manufacturer. This is something one should take in to the equation when comparing lens prices.

Have you found a good lens hood for the 75mm? I don't have the lens yet, I am strongly considering it though, that or the Panasonic 35-100mm but having a hard time deciding. I do like primes mostly but the 35-100 is a very usable range but the 75mm is already near legendary...

Btw, my brother is looking for a decently priced tele zoom, he's quite picky about the picture quality so any low end lens won't work.

I'm guessing the Olympus 75-300 and Panasonic 100-300 are the two most apparent choices, can anyone share thoughts and pictures? I know it's been posted here before but not sure I wanna look though 90 pages in order to find a few pictures :-)

1       2       3              88      
       90              265       266       end