1       2       3              73      
       75              273       274       end

alkanphel
Total Posts: 273

Taken with the 60/2.8 macro

Condensation by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jman13
Total Posts: 10784

One more new one from yesterday, in B&W. I also reprocessed the standing shot in B&W, and I really like it that way. Again, both with the 35-100/2.8:

RKTodd
Total Posts: 260

Jman13 wrote:
One more new one from yesterday, in B&W. I also reprocessed the standing shot in B&W, and I really like it that way. Again, both with the 35-100/2.8:

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 35-100. I just got this lens and can't wait to try it out on a real shoot!

Great shots, by the way!

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4731

Beautiful images Jordan! But hard to miss with a model like that . . .

More from China:

Wilbus
Total Posts: 318

Two great animal shots Ernie, it's very nice to see you were able to nail focus on both!

rsolti13
Total Posts: 3587

very nice Bob, particularly like the last one on the prior page

75 f/1.8

juju1958
Total Posts: 775

rsolti13 Love the second image. Cracker.

rji2goleez

rsolti - I agree, there's something magical about the second image.
Julian - I love that black and white!

More from China where the panny 7-14 received quite the workout.

bigkidneys
Total Posts: 1003

^^^^ Nice shots Bob! I wonder if Carp are good eating? Lol. Question, one thing I struggled with my EP-3 was trying to keep from blowing highlights. Were you shooting into the sun for these photos? Also, why the + EV? Is that a way to try and keep from blowing them? I had some great shots in Ireland at the Cliffs of Moher with my EP-3 and 7-14 but was forced into shooting directly into the sun for most so had no choice but to blow them. I converted most into B&W which helped some but am wondering what's the best way to deal with that scenario especially since it's hard to use filters with the 7-14. Any thoughts?

bigkidneys

rsolti, lovely reflections! I really need to learn to open my eyes when I am out and about. Any have any recommendations for learning how to see shots? They have some photo classes locally at the colleges here but all deal with actual camera operation and not the basics of composition and such. Tired of being a gearhead and want to actually put this equipment to good use...

bmwrider75
Total Posts: 336

Glad to be joining this thread, everyone! Thought I'd share a few family shots from my first day with the OM-D last weekend. I finally reached my breaking point with carrying a FF SLR rig and multiple lenses. The difference in moving to this setup is absolutely remarkable. It's impossible to overstate the difference in size/weight. It's like another universe.

I've only casually done a few snapshots at some local Christmas community events, all in terrible lighting, tough conditions, at ISO's often 1600-3200 - yet still I'm stunned by the IQ that this setup can provide.

dc

Jman13
Total Posts: 10784

Welcome to the club!

bmwrider75
Total Posts: 336

Couple more.

rji2goleez

bigkidneys wrote:
^^^^ Nice shots Bob! I wonder if Carp are good eating? Lol. Question, one thing I struggled with my EP-3 was trying to keep from blowing highlights. Were you shooting into the sun for these photos? Also, why the + EV? Is that a way to try and keep from blowing them? I had some great shots in Ireland at the Cliffs of Moher with my EP-3 and 7-14 but was forced into shooting directly into the sun for most so had no choice but to blow them. I converted most into B&W which helped some but am wondering what's the best way to deal with that scenario especially since it's hard to use filters with the 7-14. Any thoughts?

Thanks. I'm sure there are those who would try eating those carp. They were huge!

I wasn't shooting into the sun at all. In fact, it was a cloudy, sometimes rainy day. The OM-D has great dynamic range and recovers highlights extremely well. So the +EV is a way to "expose to the right" using the theory that more information is stored in the higlights than in the shadows. Lloyd Chambers has been doing a lot of testing with the OM-D and believes it can handle two full stops of 'over exposure' to help retain shadow detail. While I haven't gone that far, I've been playing around with up to +1.3EV and so far, I like the fact that I can recover highlights far better than recovering shadows. Of course, it will depend on the dynamic range of your composition. If shooting into the sun, I doubt I would go for any over exposure and in fact, typically under expose by up to two stops (-2.0EV). Of course, HDR is a better way to go overall. While the OM-D handles shooting into the sun pretty well, it's not nearly as good as my 5DIII with Zeiss glass.

bigkidneys

rji2goleez wrote:
bigkidneys wrote:

Thanks. I'm sure there are those who would try eating those carp. They were huge!

I wasn't shooting into the sun at all. In fact, it was a cloudy, sometimes rainy day. The OM-D has great dynamic range and recovers highlights extremely well. So the +EV is a way to "expose to the right" using the theory that more information is stored in the higlights than in the shadows. Lloyd Chambers has been doing a lot of testing with the OM-D and believes it can handle two full stops of 'over exposure' to help retain shadow detail. While I haven't gone that far, I've been playing around with up to +1.3EV and so far, I like the fact that I can recover highlights far better than recovering shadows. Of course, it will depend on the dynamic range of your composition. If shooting into the sun, I doubt I would go for any over exposure and in fact, typically under expose by up to two stops (-2.0EV). Of course, HDR is a better way to go overall. While the OM-D handles shooting into the sun pretty well, it's not nearly as good as my 5DIII with Zeiss glass.

That's good to know. I had no idea it was easier to recover highlight detail with the EM-5. I probly would know if I actually read most reviews by competent people or even kept my gear longer than a week

rji2goleez

bigkidneys wrote:
rji2goleez wrote:
bigkidneys wrote:

That's good to know. I had no idea it was easier to recover highlight detail with the EM-5. I probly would know if I actually read most reviews by competent people or even kept my gear longer than a week

I know what you mean. Exposing to the right is actually true for any digital camera but your mileage will vary depending on camera, sensor, scene and so on . . .

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7581

Meow!

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Another with the EF 300 f4L IS

bobbytan

Nice capture, Bob! I am currently doing some work in Southern China with my boss who is also a passionate photographer, but we are in a very industrial place so we have not taken even a single shot, and are not planning to. Last week we were in Siem Reap (Cambodia) and I think we got some good monk shots. Tomorrow we head for Tokyo and will be there for 5 days. We are hoping to shoot the Snow Monkeys, and maybe Mt Fuji.

rji2goleez wrote:
Well, I've been out of pocket for more than a week now with little shooting going on as I am currently in China for my day job. However, we finally got out on Sunday for a day trip and I was able to do some shooting. Here are some of the first images from a Chinese garden in the city of Guangzhou. Many more to process!

rji2goleez

bobbytan wrote:
Nice capture, Bob! I am currently doing some work in Southern China with my boss who is also a passionate photographer, but we are in a very industrial place so we have not taken even a single shot, and are not planning to. Last week we were in Siem Reap (Cambodia) and I think we got some good monk shots. Tomorrow we head for Tokyo and will be there for 5 days. We are hoping to shoot the Snow Monkeys, and maybe Mt Fuji.

rji2goleez wrote:
Well, I've been out of pocket for more than a week now with little shooting going on as I am currently in China for my day job. However, we finally got out on Sunday for a day trip and I was able to do some shooting. Here are some of the first images from a Chinese garden in the city of Guangzhou. Many more to process!

Thanks Bobby! I had only one day over the past couple of weeks so when I shot, I shot often. The industrial areas also look promising, especially the older areas. I could spend days walking the streets and photographing the grit of the cities like Guangzhou. But I'm satisfied with my one day event!

bobbytan

I know what you mean, but we have been coming here for work for more than 10 years and it's not fun or exciting anymore. My boss is still working on his panning skills - he loves to shoot those bikers (4 or even 5 people i.e. the entire family on a little bike!) cruising up and down the busy city streets. Doesn't interest me that much though. I am really looking forward to the snow monkeys shoot.

rji2goleez wrote:
bobbytan wrote:

rji2goleez wrote:

Thanks Bobby! I had only one day over the past couple of weeks so when I shot, I shot often. The industrial areas also look promising, especially the older areas. I could spend days walking the streets and photographing the grit of the cities like Guangzhou. But I'm satisfied with my one day event!

1       2       3              73      
       75              273       274       end